Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Most Cards from One Buy  (Read 4126 times)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
Most Cards from One Buy
« on: November 29, 2015, 05:07:25 pm »

As a follow-up to my puzzle about highest value you can get from one buy, what is the highest number of cards you can get as the result of buying a single card?

Puzzle:
During your buy phase, you buy a single card and resolve any on-buy and on-gain effects and any additional effects you wish to trigger from those. What is the highest possible number of additional cards you end up with in your deck?

Rules:
  • Solo game
  • Any number of events allowed in Kingdom
  • Perfect shuffle luck
  • Unlimited turns of setup
  • Standard number of Treasures (53 Copper, 40 Silver, 30 Gold, 12 Platinum, 16 Potion)
  • 10 Curses in Supply
  • Cards you lose from your deck do not count against you, but:
  • Cards you never had (or had briefly and then trashed) do not count for you

My solution from the other puzzle gets 125 cards, and could get 10 curses easily too, so it's at least __135__. But I'm sure we can go higher!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:19:25 pm by singletee »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Most Cards from One Buy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 06:59:36 pm »

10 Hagglers is important.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 08:11:24 pm »

Let's try this, I'll inevitably fuck it up. As far as I can tell, the only relevant on-gain effects that gain you more cards are Border Village, Haggler, Cache, Hunting Grounds, Death Cart, and Duchess. Lots of on-buy stuff happens, but we only get 1 of those, so it's not super important I don't think.

Kingdom: King's Court, Border Village, Duchess, Haggler, Cache, Feodum, Black Market, Hunting Grounds, Death Cart. In the BM deck is Watchtower, a Copper trasher, and all the draw components and Villages you want. Sure.

Fill your deck with magic from the Black Market deck (and plus some Hunting Grounds, you only need 3 left in the Supply). Get to a deck that can draw itself consisting of 7 King's Court's, 10 Haggler, and maybe a bunch of Platinum? I don't actually want to calculate this all out right now, I'm sure it can work.

Buy 1 King's Court or Province or something. With your 30 Haggler gains, make 10 of them Border Village, 3 Hunting Grounds, 5 Death Cart, 10 Cache, 2 of anything. Watchtower trash the 3 Hunting Grounds for 8 Estates. 5 Death Carts come with 10 Ruins. 10 Cache come with 20 Copper. 10 Border Villages can be used to gain 8 Feodum (trashed for 24 Silver) and 2 Duchy (plus 2 Duchess) for a grand total of 93.

I'm sure someone can do better. If my "just use Black Market and trust me it will work" draw strategy isn't valid, take Duchess out and put Hermit in there, just start with 5 Madmen one turn, whatever. Brings it down to 91.

Edit: Oh shit, I forgot Embargo and thus the OP's solution is already better than mine. Oh well, I give up.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:22:32 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:40:54 pm »

How do you get 30 Haggler gains? Haggler is one of those 'while in play' cards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 10:01:45 pm »

How do you get 30 Haggler gains? Haggler is one of those 'while in play' cards.

Yeah, doesn't work with King's Court.  However, you have up to 11 Estates in a solo game, which means you can get 20 Hagglers in play with Inheritance.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 10:12:54 pm »
+2

Ok, lemme try

Kingdom is: Death Cart, Cache, Border Village, Haggler, Band of Misfits, Duchess, Embargo, Hunting Grounds, Black Market, Market Square, Duplicate

Events used: Ferry, Inheritance

Black Market deck contains: Page, Hermit, Graverobber, Candlestick Maker (these 4 together can guarantee we have infinite money, infinite actions and can start with 10 madmen on top of the deck). It also contains a Watchtower, Trader and a Young Witch. There's also a gainer and a King's Court so we can gain the last few cards without ending the game.

Put 50 Embargo tokens on Colony by playing Band of Misfits as Embargo and retrieving them with Graverobber.

Put Ferry on Haggler. Put Inheritance on Haggler.

Play 9 Hagglers, 10 Band of Misfits and 11 Estates as Hagglers. Hold all 10 Market Squares in hand.

Buy Colony, gain 40 silvers by revealing Trader and also gain 10 curses.

With 30 Haggler gains, get first 1 Hunting Grounds, trashing it for a Duchy and a Duchess. Discard 10 Market Squares, gain 10 Golds.

Gain 10 Border Villages, 7 of them gaining a Duchy and a Duchess. Gain 3 Coppers also. Call Duplicate on the Coppers to gain 10 more.

Gain 5 Death Carts for another 15 cards.

Gain 10 Caches for 30 more cards.

With the last 4 gains, get 4 coppers.

40 Silvers + 10 Curses + 37 Coppers + 10 ruins + 5 Death Carts + 10 Caches + 10 Golds + 10 Border Villages + 8 Duchesses + 8 Duchies + 1 Colony = 149 cards
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:16:20 pm by wachsmuth »

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:48:58 am »

I thought I could get an inflated Doctor overpay to 157 cards, but it required 12 Kingdom Card piles. With 11 kingdom card piles (including Black Market), I can only get it to 148. 1 less than the current best.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 06:51:23 am »

Slight improvement from above

Mostly the same strategy. Incidentally I can now drop the Watchtower.

Kingdom is: Death Cart, Cache, Border Village, Haggler, Band of Misfits, Duchess, Embargo, Prince, Black Market, Market Square, Duplicate

Events used: Ferry, Inheritance, Plan

Black Market deck contains: Page, Hermit, Graverobber, Candlestick Maker (these 4 together can guarantee we have infinite money, infinite actions and can start with 10 madmen on top of the deck). It also contains Trader, Young Witch and Cultist. There's also a gainer and a King's Court so we can gain the last few cards without ending the game.

Put 50 Embargo tokens on Prince by playing Band of Misfits as Embargo and retrieving them with Graverobber.

Put Ferry on Haggler. Put Inheritance on Haggler. Put Plan on Prince.

Play 9 Hagglers, 10 Band of Misfits and 11 Estates as Hagglers. Hold all 10 Market Squares in hand. Hold the Cultist in hand also.

Buy Prince, gain 40 silvers by revealing Trader and also gain 10 curses. With the on-buy trash ability of Prince from Plan, trash the Cultist, discarding 10 Market Squares for 10 Golds first, then draw 3 of the Market Squares again with the +3 cards and discard them again, for 13 Golds in total.

With the 30 Haggler gains, we do mostly the same thing

Gain 10 Border Villages, 8 of them gaining a Duchy and a Duchess. Gain 2 Coppers also. Call Duplicate on the Coppers to gain 10 more.

Gain 5 Death Carts for another 15 cards.

Gain 10 Caches for 30 more cards.

With the last 5 gains, get 5 coppers.

40 Silvers + 10 Curses + 37 Coppers + 10 ruins + 5 Death Carts + 10 Caches + 13 Golds + 10 Border Villages + 8 Duchesses + 8 Duchies + 1 Prince = 152 cards

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 03:59:32 am »

Reusing the Doctor attempt from the previous puzzle gives better results I think.

The solution from the link gives 142 cards already. Slight improvements to fit this puzzle:

- instead of ferried BV, use ferried Cache for +10 gains.
- the previous solution leaves 4 Haggler gains unused. Use them for +4 Coppers.
- with Embargo instead of Page, we can get +10 Curses.

This gives a total of 166 cards.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 05:44:15 am »
+5

Reusing the Doctor attempt from the previous puzzle gives better results I think.

The solution from the link gives 142 cards already. Slight improvements to fit this puzzle:

- instead of ferried BV, use ferried Cache for +10 gains.
- the previous solution leaves 4 Haggler gains unused. Use them for +4 Coppers.
- with Embargo instead of Page, we can get +10 Curses.

This gives a total of 166 cards.
It turned out people didn't know what "kingdom cards" meant, so Ferry ended up "Actions."

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 08:06:06 pm »
+2

That's too bad. Still my solution gives a better result than the above... some additional adjustments:

Kingdom:
Catacombs
Doctor (Bane)
Embargo
Black Market (contains: Tunnel, Trader, Candlestick Maker, Native Village, Ambassador, Young Witch, University, Develop, Counting House, Talisman, Storeroom, Band of Misfits, Graverobber, lots of Villages)
Squire
Goons
Haggler
Duplicate
Hunting Grounds
Duchess
Death Cart

Inheritance
Ferry

Setup:
Buy all cards in the BM deck, then return Black Market to the supply with Ambassador. Use Hermit/Scheme to gain 10 Madmen. Buy 10 Squires, 9 Duplicates, 10 Catacombs, 9 Hunting Grounds, 5 Estates, 9 Hagglers. Put Ferry token on Haggler, inherit Hagglers. Play CM for sufficient amount of coin tokens. Set aside 9 Duplicates. Embargo Doctor 10 times, once via BoM so that the Embargo pile does not run out. Graverob the trashed BoM.

Set up Native Village with 9 Hagglers, 2 Estates, Trader, Scheme, University, Develop, Counting House, Ironworks, 10 Madmen, BoM. Play NV (2 actions), put it all into your hand. Play BoM as Haggler (1 action). Play University (2 actions), gain the last Haggler. Play Develop (1 action), trash Counting House, put last Hunting Grounds and the last Duplicate on top of your deck. Play 10 Madmen (11 actions) to draw your deck, play 6 more Villages (17 actions), play last Duplicate (16 actions). Play Storeroom (15 actions) to discard Tunnel, 10 Hunting Grounds, 10 Squires, 10 Catacombs. play all Hagglers and Estate-Hagglers (0 actions). Play Talisman.

The trigger:
Buy Doctor (1), overpay a lot. Use Tunnel discard+Trader to gain 40 Silver (41). Use Tunnel discard to gain 30 Gold (71). Trash 10 Squires to gain 10 Goons (81). Trash 10 Catacombs to gain 5 Death Carts, gaining 10 Ruins (96) and 5 Coppers (101). Call 10 Duplicates to gain 10 Coppers (111). Trash 8 Hunting Grounds to gain 8 Duchies (119) and 8 Duchesses (127). Trash 2 Hunting Grounds for 6 Estates (133).

Gain Doctor from Talisman (134). Gain 10 Curses from Embargo (144). Gain 16 Coppers (160) via Haggler, Estate-Haggler and BoM-as Haggler.

Total:
160 cards
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:22:44 pm by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.