Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Pandemic Legacy  (Read 13420 times)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
Pandemic Legacy
« on: November 28, 2015, 02:29:15 pm »
+1

My wife and I have a couple of friends with whom we've played a lot of Pandemic+expansion. We got our copy of Pandemic Legacy shortly after release, and finished up our campaign last week. It was an absolute blast! The long-term effects gave each decision more weight, and we had a lot of fun stickering up and writing on the board and character cards.

Has anyone else here played through the campaign yet?
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemic Legacy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:25:51 pm »
+2

My group started it this week so no spoilers anyone please. It is more fun than regular pandemic, bigger consequences.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:10:07 pm »
+4

My group started it this week so no spoilers anyone please. It is more fun than regular pandemic, bigger consequences.

Everybody dies.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:15:12 pm »
+8

Everybody dies.

Doesn't sound all that different from regular Pandemic when you put it that way.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 05:18:58 pm »

As I type this post, I am sitting at work with an Amazon box by my desk. The box contains, among other things, the copy of Pandemic Legacy that we will be playing with our flatmates across the new year. So I am very excited.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:22:15 am »
+1

I played a couple of games with a friend's box. We failed March the first time, but we managed to beat it on the rebound. I wasn't there for the effects leading up to March, but it definitely made one portion of the game really difficult for us.

I love the idea, but I'm a little wary about getting Pandemic Legacy. My friend said that after you finish up the year-long campaign, you can't play it anymore. With Risk Legacy you can keep playing on the blasted board after those 15 games and I suppose keep changing the board until you run out of stickers.

But then I suppose that you're guaranteed at least 12 games of Pandemic. At $60, that means you're paying no more than $5 per game, which is still rather cheap entertainment. I'm still hesitant, but I did have fun with the two games I did play. And my Monday night RPG session lost some players, so now we have a four-person board game night. This game would be perfect for it, especially since one of those players hates Risk and refuses to play my Risk Legacy even though Legacy made it no longer Risk.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 01:21:31 pm »
+3

You should be able to get it for cheaper than $60 and you can also divide the cost between all players.  It should also be more than 12 games unless your entire group is incredibly good at Pandemic.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 02:03:45 pm »
+8

For many gaming groups, getting any one game on the table for 12 plays is a good achievement. People always want to buy something new and play that instead.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 02:21:01 pm »

I thought $60 sounded steep for a board game.  Had a look on Amazon and it's £55 here (or £70 if you want the blue box).  I guess it's got a fair number of components and will be even more niche than a typical board game, but it's still a lot.  In fact it's about what it would cost to have it shipped from the US, so that's probably what's going on.

I'm not a fan of Pandemic, but I do like the idea of the legacy games, and could go for something like this with the right group of people.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 05:19:16 pm »

At Board Game Bliss, Pandemic Legacy is $52.95 CAD, which is less than $39.64 USD or $37.50 Euro.  That's not counting shipping, but there are various deals for that (free shipping in Canada with certain games, or orders totalling $200+).  Other online stores have similar prices.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 09:23:08 pm »
+1

I love the idea, but I'm a little wary about getting Pandemic Legacy. My friend said that after you finish up the year-long campaign, you can't play it anymore.

You could play normal Pandemic+expansions with the board, either ignoring the stickers entirely or dealing with the new movement restrictions from rioting/collapsing/fallen cities, or benefiting from starting out with multiple research stations. The campaign is definitely complete in December though.

Someone on BGG started a blog site where they go through how to keep the game replayable, i.e., not destroying or writing on any cards, not stickering anything, etc. Can't find the link now but I'll share it if I do.

FWIW I think playing with all of the Legacy elements was 100% worth it, a fun story and a great gaming experience.

edit: typos, formatting; upon re-reading I though my post looked like it might be endorsing keeping the game replayable, which isn't what I meant when I said it was worth it
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:02:59 am by michaeljb »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:54:30 pm »
+1

It does seem like this could possibly be replayable with some effort. Is it worth it? I don't know. The element of surprise would be gone, of course. I'm sure some events are randomized, so it's harder to plan for it, but you'd still know what's coming. For example, assuming the copy I get would have the same effects, I know what happens prior to March. I suspect that the event is not set in stone in terms of what is affected.

I may be able to talk my group into pitching $15 apiece for it. Who knows, maybe I can keep it mostly intact and bring it out for another group later. No big deal if not.
A man has no signature

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:23 am »

For example, assuming the copy I get would have the same effects, I know what happens prior to March. I suspect that the event is not set in stone in terms of what is affected.

End of January spoilers

C0dA is determined in January, and can be any one of the 4 diseases.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 01:24:41 am »

Found that blog I was talking about - http://panleghack.weebly.com/

When I saw your response, I re-read my post and realized I kind of butchered the second paragraph (was on mobile and didn't really proofread it; edited now). I fully recommend playing this game with all of the Legacy elements, at least the first time through*. It makes things easier (I think just tracking each city's panic level would be a pain) and the permanence is more impactful; a few times when we were debating about which game-end upgrades to use, after we had already applied the sticker, someone second-guessed the decision, but it was already too late!

My friends in the group were hesitant about the Legacy/one-time-through stuff at first, but in the end everyone loved it. More January spoilers: When instructed to destroy the initial Objective card - cure the 4 diseases - everyone assumed I would just put it back in the box. It was really thrilling to rip up the card and see everyone's shocked reaction :D as the campaign went on, everyone had fun opening, destroying, and stickering things.

*I say the "first time through" because I think I would enjoy getting a second box and trying to do better than our group did (won every month, but had to retry 5 of them), and I might want to solo through it more than once. I think I'll wait for Weebly's guide to be complete and see the actual time/money cost in "preserving" the game; it may not be worth the effort.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 12:50:21 pm »

Okay, reading that blog makes me feel that I'd rather spend $60 for a new box than try to replay the campaign.

But I would be interested in being able to play the regular game using Legacy components. That's possible, right?
A man has no signature

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »
+1

Yes, it's possible. The rulebook even suggests playing standard Pandemic a few times before starting the campaign if everyone isn't familiar with it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 04:42:33 pm »
+2

Spoiler: Darth Vader is a Moat.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 05:53:18 pm »

Yes, it's possible. The rulebook even suggests playing standard Pandemic a few times before starting the campaign if everyone isn't familiar with it.

Ooh, that's cool. When I tried to sell the idea of each of us pitching in to play on Monday nights, one of my friends said that he wouldn't feel comfortable diving into a Legacy game without fully understanding the rules first. I don't buy that as a legitimate reason so I think he's just finding ways to say he don't wanna. So i'm debating on revealing this information since that would remove that excuse.
A man has no signature

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 07:14:51 pm »
+1

This thread will be invaluable if you pick up a copy - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1470601/compiled-faq-spoilers-hidden-each-month-hidden-sep

One important bit if you don't jump right into the campaign (sadly didn't make it into the rulebook):

Clarifications on Playing without legacy rules:
Funding is meant to be 5 (i.e. including 5 funded event cards) when playing games to get used to pandemic before starting the legacy experience. You win the game by curing all 4 diseases.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:41:18 pm »

About to start this tomorrow with two players. Any recommendations on whether or not we should do 2, 3 or 4 characters?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 01:52:33 pm »
+1

About to start this tomorrow with two players. Any recommendations on whether or not we should do 2, 3 or 4 characters?

Personally, I like the game best with four, but if we're playing with less than four players, we use the appropriate number of characters rather than play extra characters. If you're going to be consistently playing as a pair, I could see playing two each, though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2015, 08:22:48 pm »
+2

Got this for Christmas and was so excited.

Wife and I just played January with a win.  It was so much more intense and exciting than I had even expected.  At the end of the game, we were actually having difficulty deciding whether to end the game immediately, or to chance another outbreak in order to eradicate a disease.  Eradication now has a greater incentive, and it's really cool to consider the future repercussions of your actions.

(None of that should be spoilery, it's all in the rulebook.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 02:47:22 pm »

Personally, I like the game best with four, but if we're playing with less than four players, we use the appropriate number of characters rather than play extra characters. If you're going to be consistently playing as a pair, I could see playing two each, though.

I wish I had seen this -- we ended up playing with 2. Although we still had the full experience, we were definitely limited in character selection with only two players.

We enjoyed it a lot. Was a great experience and am looking forward to season 2! We went 12-4 overall.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 10:43:58 am »

This game is incredible!  My wife and I are 3 for 3 through March.  We've clean swept the board every game so far with the only outbreaks coming from having the bottom card of an outbreak being drawn immediately during the infection phase.

The unknown is just so tantalizing.  The way you have to adapt to each new game is awesome!
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 11:30:58 am »

I have Pandemic, but I haven't played it yet. I got it like 6 months ago or something. It's just been collecting dust on my shelf. I guess I should play it then.

Just looked up the premise of this version. Weird. A one-shot board game. I bet you're all spoiling to play this.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:38:06 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.