Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Engine or money?  (Read 2456 times)

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Engine or money?
« on: November 28, 2015, 09:49:28 am »
+3

Code: [Select]
Fool's Gold, Fishing Village, Loan, Lookout, Tunnel, Bazaar, Council Room, Laboratory, Farmland, Grand Market
Yey, a great engine...

is what I first thought when I saw this board. Loan and Lookout to thin, Lab and maybe CR for draw, mass Grand Markets as payload - what could possibly go wrong here? Many things, as it turns out, especially the way I played it. I opened FV/Lookout (in retrospect, I think this is one of 5% boards where Silver>FV) and starting thinning. As it happens, reaching $6 with just FVs, and Bazaars and Loan was not an easy task, so I was forced to add a Silver and a Gold to my deck - just to buy this ever-imporant Grand Market and steamroll it from here. My opponent, who forsake trashing for the sake of economy, got an early lead, and I was only able to catch up and win due to some fortunate Farmland shanenigans in the last few turns.

Now, my question. After the game, it dawned to me that I gained my 1st province only on turn 16, and I started to wonder if simple Council Room+ Fool's Gold would have easily crushed both mine and my opponent's strategy. Just open FG/FG (or FG/CR if you're lucky), spam these FGs and you should have an insurmountable lead by turn 15.

So, what's the optimal strategy on this board? Is it truly BM or did I just horribly misplayed an engine? Should I have included FG in en engine as a payload? I thought about massing FG early, coupling it with trashing and using them to buy GM - but it seemed to slow and unreliable. So, how would you play this board?

eta: I forgot to add game link: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151127/log.0.1448643354195.txt

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Engine or money?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:57:50 am »
+9

I'd open double Lookout and grab 2-3 Fool's Golds to then buy Grand Market. If you have a Fishing Village—which you should certainly buy over Silver—in your deck when you first hit 5 I'd take a Council Room before any Labs (the buy is great with FG out there), but I wouldn't be buying FV over FG until I have at least 2-3 of the latter.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 10:29:49 am »
+2

I'd open double Lookout and grab 2-3 Fool's Golds to then buy Grand Market. If you have a Fishing Village—which you should certainly buy over Silver—in your deck when you first hit 5 I'd take a Council Room before any Labs (the buy is great with FG out there), but I wouldn't be buying FV over FG until I have at least 2-3 of the latter.

That seems too slow, engine that opens lookout/fg and has three council rooms, some fishing villages and 5 fg as payload will easily triple province and if you could draw your deck anyway extra council rooms dont matter.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:54:56 am »
+2

I'm late to the party and not very experienced, but this board looked interesting, so I tried both the double-lookout opening going into FGs and then GMs and the Councilroom-FV engine with FG as payload completely ignoring GMs. A couple of times. The GM games ended on piles - as they should I suppose with GMs gone, FGs low and lots of buys. In my experience, ignoring GM meant having more buying power turns 11-12, but less buying power turns 13-14 (and that didn't even include getting the +1 Card from opponent's Councilrooms since I had to make due with whatever MF bot chose as a strategy and they didn't use Councilroom, so I couldn't have the strategies "compete"). Double lookout opening into FG and GM seemed (to me at least) to be more susceptible to bad shuffles early, but more reliable later on.

I'd really like to play someone on this board who either knows what they're doing (as opposed to me and the bots) to learn or someone who has (just like me) no idea what they're doing for the heck of it.
Join Team Rocket!

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 03:50:45 pm »
+1

Hey!
I also like this board and will gladly play with you!
Tomorrow evening might be fine, or later. PM me if you are interested.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.