Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Always go for the Engine  (Read 2461 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Always go for the Engine
« on: November 28, 2015, 01:52:00 am »
+2

(All of the kingdom viewers I was looking at required a game log, could someone link me with one that doesn't need one (and has Adventures)?)

Kingdom: Prince, Rogue, Soothsayer, Treasury, Ill-Gotten Gains, Horn of Plenty, Cutpurse, Forager, Gear, Duchess, Ferry, Expedition, Shelters

I was playing a(n) irl game with this kingdom with my brother-in-law today and thought it was worth sharing.  When I first saw it, I saw some pretty good simple strategies (Gear-BM, IGG Rush, and maybe some others).  I also some some engine potential, with Forager, Horn of Plenty, and Prince, but the problem is that the draw is weak (Gear), and the best +Actions was Necropolis.  I thought the engine wouldn't cut it, but I realized that maybe Prince could help.  But, Prince is pretty slow, and might not work...  I could also use Soothsayer and Cutpurse to try to slow my opponent down, maybe get some Expeditions along the way to help out with draw, and...oh, I could put my -$2 on Prince.

I went for the engine in the end.  My brother-in-law went for a BM-ish strategy, getting some Rogues, Treasuries (which his -$2 token was on), a couple other actions, and money.  I opened Forager/Cutpurse, getting Soothsayer and Ferry my next shuffle, and getting some Gears and Princes.  I keep on building with help from my Forager's +Buy and HoP.  By the end, I had Princed two Gears (Princing durations ftw!) and my Necropolis.  After my opponent has gotten three provinces, I get my megaturn (draw from just my princes, a single extra gear, an expedition, and a single treasury I had gotten for another unique) and get five provinces and four duchies.

Would you go for the same thing on this board?  I'm sure some engine is the best here, as I'm not the best player and still pulled it off, but what would go good with it?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Always go for the Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:18:40 am »

Well, the first reply will have to be this, no matter who it is:

You can't use Prince with Duration cards.

That said, perhaps there's an engine here with Prince on Necropolis plus a ton of Gears, with Soothsayer to slow the opponent to and gather payload... but further analysis I'll leave for better players.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:24:00 am »
+7

You can't use Prince with Duration cards.

Gear gets discarded if you don't, uh, gear anything with it. So it's basically a Moat when Princed.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:36:36 am »

Here engine does not seem viable. Correct opening here is ferry/soothsayer, then getting forager and cutpurse on second shuffle. Then go for igg to win curse split. I don't see how you do trash fast enough while having enough economy to build engine so moral is don't skip junker until you are iso lvl 20.

Here I would consider prince of cutpurses, soothsayers or foragers if I could get it reasonably early.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:07:39 am »

I would probably open Ferry / Soothsayer, then grab two Gears and play Gear / Junk / Money. Not buying any IGGs unless I have a pair of Foragers, which isn't a bad idea since you can just set them aside with Gear if you dead draw them (plus the card you wanted to junk!).
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:17:12 am »

I would probably open Ferry / Soothsayer, then grab two Gears and play Gear / Junk / Money. Not buying any IGGs unless I have a pair of Foragers, which isn't a bad idea since you can just set them aside with Gear if you dead draw them (plus the card you wanted to junk!).
Sounds reasonable but I think you'd want to sneak in a Forager or two early on. The flexibility of Gear would let you use Forager in a way that minimizes the inconvenience it provides early on. Later on when you have a bunch of Golds it provides +buy that can always be used to buy Expedition with any spare money.

Edit: oh wait I can't read. You do advocate for Forager.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:18:19 am by markusin »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »
+2

a(n) irl

Why did you state this like this?  No matter how you pronounce it, it's going to use "an":

an I.R.L
an eerl
an in-real-life
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 03:40:51 pm »

a(n) irl

Why did you state this like this?  No matter how you pronounce it, it's going to use "an":

an I.R.L
an eerl
an in-real-life
i always use it the natural grammatical way, no adjectives: i played a game in the eerl
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.