Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lost the Grand Market split 9-1; Won the game  (Read 2091 times)

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
Lost the Grand Market split 9-1; Won the game
« on: November 27, 2015, 06:58:02 pm »

So...

Code: [Select]
Apothecary, Masquerade, Oracle, Alchemist, Death Cart, Gardens, Pirate Ship, Catacombs, Wharf, Grand Market

Not sure what my opponent was doing, as he gets Grand Market after Grand Market and I flounder around with my Apothecaries and Alchemists without a plan. I eventually pick up a Pirate Ship (?!) to attack his flood of Golds and Platina with. He doesn't really do anything, until he decides to pile the Gardens (?!) and I buy two Colonies a turn to win.

Not convinced either of us played this sanely, but it does feel like a thing worth highlighting that I lost the Grand Market split 9-1 and still managed to win the game.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151127/log.0.1448668174557.txt

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Lost the Grand Market split 9-1; Won the game
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:07:06 pm »

Moral of the story: Yellow cards are bad; never get them. He had $18 in cantrip money, most of his copper, and still decided that 4 golds and 2 platina were a good idea. Also Gardens were silly too. Not sure I'm convinced by the potion cards... I want to play a wharf every turn ASAP, and if I get potion that takes a while. I'd open masq/silver, and not consider getting potion until I have a wharf or two.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 07:54:56 pm »
+1

Moral of the story: Yellow cards are bad; never get them. He had $18 in cantrip money, most of his copper, and still decided that 4 golds and 2 platina were a good idea. Also Gardens were silly too. Not sure I'm convinced by the potion cards... I want to play a wharf every turn ASAP, and if I get potion that takes a while. I'd open masq/silver, and not consider getting potion until I have a wharf or two.

Thats terrible advice, there are no villages so you are playing wharf-bm which isn't thing with colonies.

Problem here is that you didn't buy any nonpotion cards, you were overdrawing your deck without payload. Potion/masq is correct opening but you should buy silver on turn 3, that is with apothecaries enough to buy platinum, Turn 6 should be wharf instead alchemist as you really need +buy. Then get second wharf and get more alchemist/platinums, until you could double-colony.

Grand market here looks just too slow.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »

Thats terrible advice, there are no villages so you are playing wharf-bm which isn't thing with colonies.

Problem here is that you didn't buy any nonpotion cards, you were overdrawing your deck without payload. Potion/masq is correct opening but you should buy silver on turn 3, that is with apothecaries enough to buy platinum, Turn 6 should be wharf instead alchemist as you really need +buy. Then get second wharf and get more alchemist/platinums, until you could double-colony.

What? If you don't get Grand Markets, I am getting all 10 and winning quickly.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »
+2

Log or it didn't happen. That approach makes you grand market idiot like original opponent. So show log where you get ten grand markets and enough victory points to win. You have 16-17 turns until I end game by pilediving all colonies, here are example games.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151128/log.0.1448747055772.txt
https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151128/log.0.1448746722857.txt

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 05:34:39 pm »
+5

Log or it didn't happen. That approach makes you grand market idiot like original opponent. So show log where you get ten grand markets and enough victory points to win. You have 16-17 turns until I end game by pilediving all colonies, here are example games.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151128/log.0.1448747055772.txt
https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151128/log.0.1448746722857.txt

I'm pretty confident that (1) the fact that the opponent bought 9 Grand Markets *definitely* wasn't his undoing (he made WAY bigger mistakes) and (2) "Grand Market Idiot" is just straight up not a thing. The reason "Village Idiot" is a thing is because a deck full of Villages and nothing else has a net effect of basically doing nothing. A deck full of 10 grand markets gives you +20 Coins, +10 Buys, etc. I can't believe I have to say this, but yes, having lots of Grand Markets tends to be a good thing, not a bad thing.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »
+1

After trying several different strategies, I think you must be right. It's too hard to get that first grand market.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.