Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: $6+ cards  (Read 38815 times)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: $6+ cards
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 11:03:01 am »

Farmland could be a place or two higher. It's not game-breaker by itself, but it's self-synergy, ability to turn $6 card into a 8VP swing (albeit at the cost of not playing it) and general endgame engineering are something I see is recognized in many games Farmland appears in. I'd definitely put it above Harem, for example.

Nobles should also be higher, IMO.

No, farmland is without doubt second worst. Only two uses are 8vp at endgame and turning estate to 4 cost when you need engine component. Otherwise its just gimped harem as you could buy only province with it and lose 2vp versus having harem. Its just better to get some harems for vp lead and some economy.

You can also Farmland a Curse into a $2-cost card (there are some good ones) or even an Estate (for a 4 points total). I also put Farmland above Harem. Glad some guys are backin' me up.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 11:03:28 am »

Without a doubt Adventurer is the worst card in this list again - it even lost over 2pp. It has also clearly the lowest deviation in this list. 75 votes were on the last rank, that's 3/4 of the votes. It was never voted above average.

Not even our mystery reverse voter could bare to put Adventurer above average.

Now that you brought this up, the fact that Adventurer was never voted above average is intriguing. If there is in fact a reverse voter, then they either meant to vote Adventurer above average or didn't vote for 6+ cost cards. Alternatively, there is no reverse voter but instead a major troll in our midst.
I agree, there is a troll in our midst and his name is Roadrunner7671.

No wait, I think it would be foolish to just assume there is just one troll without question. It's quite possible for multiple trolls to be conspiring together.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 11:06:45 am »
+6

No wait, I think it would be foolish to just assume there is just one troll without question. It's quite possible for multiple trolls to be conspiring together.

Hmmm... do I make a meme with Conspirator, or with Wine Merchant?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 11:09:50 am »

Farmland could be a place or two higher. It's not game-breaker by itself, but it's self-synergy, ability to turn $6 card into a 8VP swing (albeit at the cost of not playing it) and general endgame engineering are something I see is recognized in many games Farmland appears in. I'd definitely put it above Harem, for example.

Nobles should also be higher, IMO.

No, farmland is without doubt second worst. Only two uses are 8vp at endgame and turning estate to 4 cost when you need engine component. Otherwise its just gimped harem as you could buy only province with it and lose 2vp versus having harem. Its just better to get some harems for vp lead and some economy.

You can also Farmland a Curse into a $2-cost card (there are some good ones) or even an Estate (for a 4 points total). I also put Farmland above Harem. Glad some guys are backin' me up.
Since both Estate and Curse are stop cards and ignoring synergies with green cards, this has the effect of giving you 4VP for $6. So that's reasonable. Fairgrounds can already provide this fairly easily though, and often enough 6VP.

Farmland is relevant often enough in games lacking +buy though. That extra 2VP you get when trashing a 6-cost card for a Province can be a tiebreaker in such games.

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 11:19:57 am »

Hmmm... do I make a meme with Conspirator, or with Wine Merchant?
Both
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:22:21 am by microman »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 11:25:01 am »
+1

Without a doubt Adventurer is the worst card in this list again - it even lost over 2pp. It has also clearly the lowest deviation in this list. 75 votes were on the last rank, that's 3/4 of the votes. It was never voted above average.

Not even our mystery reverse voter could bare to put Adventurer above average.

Now that you brought this up, the fact that Adventurer was never voted above average is intriguing. If there is in fact a reverse voter, then they either meant to vote Adventurer above average or didn't vote for 6+ cost cards. Alternatively, there is no reverse voter but instead a major troll in our midst.
I agree, there is a troll in our midst and his name is Roadrunner7671.
*Heavy disagreeing*
When have I ever trolled anyone on anything?
Links or it didn't happen.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 11:47:49 am »
+13

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:49:34 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »
+2

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2015, 04:50:25 pm »
+1

Wow.  This is an extraordinarily sensible top 11 to my eyes.  The only card I had more than 2 places apart is Hireling down at 12.  I may have slightly underrated Hireling, but I think it definitely belongs below Hunting Grounds and Inheritance.

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »

Ok, how on earth do 15 people think Border Village is below average card? It must have gotten superb results from other voters, just to compensate for this.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 05:23:46 pm »
+1

I think grand market should be lower than the two events.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2015, 05:28:59 pm »

Border Village isn't so good IMO.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »
+10

But you can gain Scouts using it's ability.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2015, 06:12:40 pm »
+6

The thing is, except for Adventurer, none of the cards on this list are awful. You really have to rank perfectly good cards low in order to rank better cards higher; it's nothing against the cards. I had Border Village quite low and Bank almost last, and they're both cards I buy a lot.

My major disagreement with the list is Forge -- if you spike one unreasonably early it can be gg, you can build a strategy around 3 + 5 = 2 + 6 = 8, sometimes it's the only trashing and it makes up for its price with its speed, and it gives great endgame control. But it can certainly be a trap, too; Forge isn't going to get you out of your Sea Hagged misery deck that takes 17 turns to reach the next shuffle; you'll just draw it with two silvers a copper a militia and be sad.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2015, 06:15:25 pm »

But you can gain Scouts using it's ability.
I know, that's why I had it a little higher than I planned.

But how often are Scout and Border Village on the same board?

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 06:23:47 pm »

My major disagreement with the list is Forge -- if you spike one unreasonably early it can be gg, you can build a strategy around 3 + 5 = 2 + 6 = 8, sometimes it's the only trashing and it makes up for its price with its speed, and it gives great endgame control. But it can certainly be a trap, too; Forge isn't going to get you out of your Sea Hagged misery deck that takes 17 turns to reach the next shuffle; you'll just draw it with two silvers a copper a militia and be sad.

I find Forge to be a trap far more often than not - though it may be a card I misplay.

It very often ends up being rather sad.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 06:50:33 pm »
+3

I still think Goons is better than KC.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2015, 06:55:47 pm »

Quite a lot of people seem to agree with you. I know I ummed and aahed over that one for quite a while. Can't even remember what I picked as first now.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2015, 07:26:59 pm »
+1

Quite a lot of people seem to agree with you. I know I ummed and aahed over that one for quite a while. Can't even remember what I picked as first now.

I have no major disagreementa with the top part of this list. I had Goons above KC, but it's so close and I can't say I'm comfortable putting one over the other.

I have the same ranking for Grand Market, Lost Arts, and Border Village. I've become more and more convinced that Border Village deserves its #5 spot or something close to it.

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2015, 10:12:29 pm »
+1

I have no major disagreementa with the top part of this list. I had Goons above KC, but it's so close and I can't say I'm comfortable putting one over the other.

I have the same ranking for Grand Market, Lost Arts, and Border Village. I've become more and more convinced that Border Village deserves its #5 spot or something close to it.
kc will quickly bring you to a state of heavy payloads and whatnot, goons is the best payload there is in the game, maybe other than platinum. i have goons at #1, if there's any pair that we don't need to resolve which is better, it's these two. they do different things, buy both of them.

i want training to be higher, i worked towards this goal by voting it higher than most people. there's probably a card that you're going to play about 4 of in a successful engine context, pay $6 to increase the payout of these turns by 4 bucks, no strings attached. that's pretty good. i think the worst thing about the token events is that you can only really get them once.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2015, 05:42:35 am »

It'll be interesting to see if the top events can shake up this top 3 phalanx that's here for a long time. It looks like many ppl including me already voted the events higher.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

managore

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2015, 08:39:49 am »
+1

I'm surprised neither Lost Arts nor Pathfinding beat Grand Market. I suppose that Grand Market is never, ever not a great card, whereas I can imagine there are kingdoms where neither Pathfinding nor Lost Arts shine (either because you're already close to drawing and playing your whole deck, or your card distribution is very spread out), but I still think in the majority of cases you'd much rather spend $6 giving actions to three, four or five cards in your deck, or spending $8 to turn three, four of five cantrips in your deck into Laboratory+ cards compared to buying a single cantrip that gives you $2 and a buy. But I guess that comparison is only fair if you're only planning on buying one Grand Market, which is never the case.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2015, 08:59:20 am »
+1

I'm surprised neither Lost Arts nor Pathfinding beat Grand Market. I suppose that Grand Market is never, ever not a great card, whereas I can imagine there are kingdoms where neither Pathfinding nor Lost Arts shine (either because you're already close to drawing and playing your whole deck, or your card distribution is very spread out), but I still think in the majority of cases you'd much rather spend $6 giving actions to three, four or five cards in your deck, or spending $8 to turn three, four of five cantrips in your deck into Laboratory+ cards compared to buying a single cantrip that gives you $2 and a buy. But I guess that comparison is only fair if you're only planning on buying one Grand Market, which is never the case.

I think the main issue is that players have not played with the cards enough. GM is secretly an $8 pretty much. I'm actually surprised it is still as high as it is
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.