Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Design a Kingdom with 1 card from each set.  (Read 5542 times)

DoomYoshi

• Scout
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
Design a Kingdom with 1 card from each set.
« on: November 26, 2015, 02:44:46 am »
+1

I'm doing this in Dominion Online, so it doesn't include Adventures. It's designed around no shelters and no colonies/platinum.

Base: Moat
Intrigue: Nobles
Seaside: Salvager
Alchemy: Possession
Prosperity: Peddler
Cornucopia: Fortune Teller
Hinterlands: Crossroads
Dark Ages: Pillage
Guilds: Soothsayer
Promo: Black Market

I think it will work with any number of players. I like the different avenues this can take. Crossroads/Nobles is obviously the start of an engine, and Peddler/Salvager can help. The attacks can slow down engines, but for multiplayer you have moats to stay sane. Finally, possession and black market are there for people falling behind who need to try something dramatic to change their fortune. Also, Big Money is still an option, but the cards to get there are more expensive. A 5/2 split is pretty strong with pillage. What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:47:02 am by DoomYoshi »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Design a Kingdom with 1 card from each set.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:00 am »

I'll try a few of these I guess. Here's a neat one with Vault / Tunnel / Money competing against a Library / Fishing Village / BM engine.

(By the way, can you really not play Coin tokens on the Black Market? Lame.)

Base: Library
Intrigue: Minion
Seaside: Fishing Village
Alchemy: University
Prosperity: Vault
Cornucopia: Remake
Hinterlands: Tunnel
Dark Ages: Mystic
Guilds: Candlestick Maker
Promo: Black Market (If you're cool) / Envoy (If you're boring)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:14:49 am »
+3

If you pick Young Witch as your Cornucopia card, you can get in an Adventures card as well.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:17:32 am »

I'm doing this in Dominion Online, so it doesn't include Adventures. It's designed around no shelters and no colonies/platinum.

Seaside: Salvager
Alchemy: Possession
Cornucopia: Fortune Teller
Hinterlands: Crossroads
Dark Ages: Pillage

I think it will work with any number of players. I like the different avenues this can take. Crossroads/Nobles is obviously the start of an engine, and Peddler/Salvager can help. The attacks can slow down engines, but for multiplayer you have moats to stay sane. Finally, possession and black market are there for people falling behind who need to try something dramatic to change their fortune. Also, Big Money is still an option, but the cards to get there are more expensive. A 5/2 split is pretty strong with pillage. What do you think?

This oughta stir things up...

I'd open Salvager/Silver, get a Soothsayer, probably some Moats (depending on my opponent) and play Big Money. I don't have faith in Black Market here -- the village, draw, and trashing are very slow and Soothsayer is really good against the deck.

(popcorn.gif)
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 10:25:51 am »

Welcome to the forum DoomYoshi.
Anyway

I used this card picker so I was able to have adventures.
Butcher+rats= :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:41:47 pm by Limetime »

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 01:31:18 pm »

I'll try a few of these I guess. Here's a neat one with Vault / Tunnel / Money competing against a Library / Fishing Village / BM engine.

(By the way, can you really not play Coin tokens on the Black Market? Lame.)

You can spend treasure in the action phase if you play a black market. I agree that Envoy is a much more boring choice. I've never played with it though, so it's tough to decide if it is better or worse than Library. Initially, it looks like it makes Library redundant, if you can Remake your deck fast enough.

I'd open Salvager/Silver, get a Soothsayer, probably some Moats (depending on my opponent) and play Big Money. I don't have faith in Black Market here -- the village, draw, and trashing are very slow and Soothsayer is really good against the deck.

(popcorn.gif)

The trashing is definitely a weakness. I was tempted to use chapel which ends up helping against all 3 attacks, but I was worried that would dominate the kingdom. I guess one solution would be to add native village instead of salvager and to make possession into apprentice.

If you pick Young Witch as your Cornucopia card, you can get in an Adventures card as well.

Yea, if Adventures ever gets added to online. You can set the 12 cards and set the randomizer to only draw from Adventures. I'm worried this will probably make your black market nothing but Adventures too though.

Welcome to the forum DoomYoshi.

I used this card picker so I was able to have adventures.
Butcher+rats= :)

Thanks for the welcome and the link. That deck looks like too many cantrips for my taste but I like how Rats aren't allowed in the Menagerie. It's one of the only times (other than Gardens+junker) that woodcutter looks like it might be useful, as one of 3 terminals on the board.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
+1

Or you could simply add an Event.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 07:21:39 pm »
+1

A set for the bargain shopper in all of us. Almost all of the cards can act as Bane, and I think there are significantly different strategies depending on which one is picked.

Base: Village
Intrigue: Masquerade
Seaside: Lookout
Alchemy: Herbalist
Prosperity: Watchtower
Cornucopia: Young Witch
Hinterlands: Fool's Gold
Dark Ages: Poor House
Guilds: Stonemason
Adventures: Coin of the Realm
Promo: Summon

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 02:02:23 am »
+1

Ok, after much playtesting and tweaking:

Seaside: Caravan
Alchemy: Scrying Pool
Cornucopia: Hamlet
Hinterlands: Trader
Dark Ages: Knights

It's almost totally different. Originally, there wasn't really much that could challenge the primacy of a Soothsayer/Nobles combo. With a couple sooths in play, you never have to spend your 6s on gold, so you can buy nobles with no real fear. Possession ended up not doing much and Black Market is kind of a swing factor. There is no reason to not buy black market IMO.

Now there is tons of stuff that can challenge the soothsayer. First off will be the race to caravan. Knights are a much better attack than Pillage. Trader fights the curses. Due to weak trashing, hamlet should always be a good village.

How about the new revision? I will get around to playing some of these other ones soon. I think I'm done with this avenue. Once you've played variations on a kingdom a few times, it's not very fun anymore I think.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:17:54 am by DoomYoshi »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 10:04:59 am »

Ok, after much playtesting and tweaking:

Seaside: Caravan
Alchemy: Scrying Pool
Cornucopia: Hamlet
Hinterlands: Trader
Dark Ages: Knights

It's almost totally different. Originally, there wasn't really much that could challenge the primacy of a Soothsayer/Nobles combo. With a couple sooths in play, you never have to spend your 6s on gold, so you can buy nobles with no real fear. Possession ended up not doing much and Black Market is kind of a swing factor. There is no reason to not buy black market IMO.

Now there is tons of stuff that can challenge the soothsayer. First off will be the race to caravan. Knights are a much better attack than Pillage. Trader fights the curses. Due to weak trashing, hamlet should always be a good village.

How about the new revision? I will get around to playing some of these other ones soon. I think I'm done with this avenue. Once you've played variations on a kingdom a few times, it's not very fun anymore I think.

Just get a lot of hamlets & scrying pools. Look for trashing in the Black market & if there isn't ANY, trash coppers with trader. Scrying pool will draw your deck very fast and then you can start discarding actions with hamlet to redraw them with scrying pool. At that point you are using the extra buys from Hamlet to empty the peddler pile really fast and you're using the peddler economy to buy out all the knights and trash the crap out of your opponent's deck.

Picking up soothsayer is just awful here, but if your opponent does that, then you'll want to get 1 or 2 traders to deal with the curses (again, only if there isn't better trashing in the BM deck).

EDIT: Actually in a mirror you might skip knights, because knights won't hit Scrying pool, peddler, or hamlet and those will be the key cards in your deck. 5 peddlers + 3 copper is knightproof and can buy a province every turn, for instance.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:07:31 am by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 11:50:31 am »

Village
Mining Village
Fishing Village
University
Worker's Village
Hamlet
Border Village
Fortress
Wandering Minstrel
Walled Village

Edit:  You are wrong.  This joke will never get old.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 12:06:42 pm »

Village
Mining Village
Fishing Village
University
Worker's Village
Hamlet
Border Village
Fortress
Wandering Minstrel
Walled Village

Edit:  You are wrong.  This joke will never get old.

Plaza instead of Wandering Minstrel, and Lost City instead of Walled Village.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Sten-Åke

• Swindler
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 06:54:33 am »

What are your reasons to want 1 card from each set? It matters, because the design challenge could be made more interesting with additional limitations. For exampe, I would pick 1 card from each set following that sets theme. This would showcase the different mechanics of each set for new players.

Sten-Åke

• Swindler
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 07:01:07 am »

An example of a thematic kingdom. I didn't pick it to be balanced though.

Scrying pool
Village
Fairgrounds
Procession
Stonemason
Inn
Nobles
Grand Market
Caravan
Black Market

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 01:52:22 pm »

What are your reasons to want 1 card from each set? It matters, because the design challenge could be made more interesting with additional limitations. For exampe, I would pick 1 card from each set following that sets theme. This would showcase the different mechanics of each set for new players.

Back in the day, MtG had rules that you had to use at least 1 card (or maybe it was 5) from each of the sets. It's just a neat little thing since the sets are designed to work with themselves. We are testing if we can get them to work well with each other.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.