Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ok wait wait hold on ok wait  (Read 2204 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
ok wait wait hold on ok wait
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »
+1

how bad is this card:

harold, $4 action
+2 cards
+1 action
your opponent may play an action card from his hand

there's probably a few rule fudges (outpost explicitly assumes it's your turn) but not as armageddon-y as it initially seems, at least its weird effects on gameplay are more heinous than rules conflicts
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 12:37:24 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: ok wait wait hold on ok wait
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:51:24 pm »
+1

I think it's fine to allow an opponent to play outside his turn. I think it could very well be a pretty strong effect (for your opponent) though, so this card might be quite weak. If they had too many terminals in their hand, you could have just turned a bad turn into a good one. Especially if they had just a terminal draw and no villages. And then of course they could play one of these in response, which would be a little hard to track/follow.

Also remember, you don't just have "an opponent". You have to say "each other player may play an action card from his hand". So imagine both opponents respond by playing one of these.... then things get basically impossible to track.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:47:53 pm »
+5

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »
+7

I think it's fine to allow an opponent to play outside his turn. I think it could very well be a pretty strong effect (for your opponent) though, so this card might be quite weak. If they had too many terminals in their hand, you could have just turned a bad turn into a good one. Especially if they had just a terminal draw and no villages. And then of course they could play one of these in response, which would be a little hard to track/follow.

Also remember, you don't just have "an opponent". You have to say "each other player may play an action card from his hand". So imagine both opponents respond by playing one of these.... then things get basically impossible to track.

-schadd plays Harold
      -GendoIkari plays Throne Room, playing Harold
            -Asper plays Band of Misfits as Harold
                  -schadd plays Moat
                  -GendoIkari plays Militia
                        -Asper reveals Moat
                        -schadd discards
            -schadd plays Witch
                  -Asper reveals Moat
                  -GendoIkari gains a Curse
      -GendoIkari plays Harold again
            -Asper plays Possession
            -schadd plays Golem, revealing Harold and Herold

Seems legit.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:57:05 pm by Asper »

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 03:02:59 pm »

dag, and and the last game i played was 3p even. i am cursed to forget that all the time

that's part of the fun. i think it's ok if you specify a non-attack card but in general, lab + village- for your opponent is ok. if your opponent(s) are getting more terminals than they can handle because they know's you just hired harlod and his twin brothers then you can call them out on it, somehow. trash-for-benefit is an idea.

how bad is this card:
bad bad
no, good bad
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 03:05:17 pm »

-schadd plays Harold
      -GendoIkari plays Throne Room, playing Harold
            -Asper plays Band of Misfits as Harold
                  -schadd plays Moat
                  -GendoIkari plays Militia
                        -Asper reveals Moat
                        -schadd discards
            -schadd plays Witch
                  -Asper reveals Moat
                  -GendoIkari gains a Curse
      -GendoIkari plays Harold again
            -Asper plays Possession
            -schadd plays Golem, revealing Harold and Herold

Seems legit.
but see, nobody's doing anything they wouldn't have done anyways, it just all has a different necessary order than it usually does.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 04:46:31 pm »

To prevent having to keep a written log of what's going on in the turn, I'd at least suggest "Each other player may play an action card from his hand that is not a Harold".

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 04:48:49 pm »
+1

No, never mind, there are still Golems and stuff.

Another attempt: "This card does nothing if you play it when it's not your turn".

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 04:53:36 pm »
+5

No, never mind, there are still Golems and stuff.

Another attempt: "This card does nothing if you play it when it's not your turn".

"If it's your turn,…"
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.563 seconds with 21 queries.