Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: schaddeas  (Read 901 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
schaddeas
« on: November 24, 2015, 06:30:10 pm »
+2

these aren't good, though
royal charter: $6 action-reaction
+2 actions
you may discard 3 cards; if you do, gain a royal charter
you may discard a card; if you do, +2 cards

does several things that aren't very good; forfeit your turn (probably) to gain a 6-card, vault does that but lets you choose what it is. slightly nicer village also that might be worth 4ish, and also trash 3 if you draw two of them and then probably discard your other one to draw 2. probably good, i would go as far as to say that as a card it is probably stronger than count.

startled horse: $4 action
+4 cards
discard 2 cards.
you may reveal your hand; if you do, your opponent chooses two cards from it to trash.

masquerade, steward and envoy had a baby. at its worst it is not very compelling, but it offers several interesting choices

advertisers: $3 action-duration
+1 action
discard 2 cards. if you do, at the start of your next turn, gain 2 silvers, putting one into your hand.

opening with it is letting fate decide what happens on your next few turns. don't open two of them

upper-middle class: $3 action-victory
+2 actions
reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. put any revealed upper-middle classes into your hand.
worth 1 VP

buying great hall is just not making a statement. this started out as, heh, what if i inherited scout
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: schaddeas
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:57:27 pm »

Royal Charter -- It's a village.  If you do the first discard, you gain anothe one, but even though it's currently a $6 card, is it worthwhile?  The card draw requires a discard first, which is actually a significant drawback.  Your handsize after is the same as if you played a regular Village.  It's good if you can discard a junk card to draw 2 better ones, but it's worse than Village if there's nothing you want to discard (in which case you either don't discard, or you discard a decent card and hope the two random ones are better).  Overall, I don't think it's worth $6.  $5, maybe.

But then there is the reaction.  You need to word this differently.  When you say "trash it", the last object you referred to is Royal Charter itself, so I was left wondering why I would ever bother using this reaction just to lose Royal Charter.  I'm not sure if you can even use Royal Charter to trash all the cards that are discarded together, since some of the discarded cards would be covered up by other ones.  I don't know.  But yeah, the reaction as intended could bump it up to $6, sure.

Startled Horse -- the better comparison is Embassy, which is +5 cards, discard 3.  This is just a small step down.  This would already be very strong, but then you add in the option for early-game trashing.  Too strong, I think.  I'd modify it so it could be a mandatory trash, e.g. "Your opponent picks 3 cards; trash one and discard the rest".

Advertisers -- don't really know what to think of it.  Discard-for-duration-effect is kind of a tracking issue (at the end of my turn, I may not remember whether I discarded for an advertiser or not) but it's not that bad.  It has potential to spike a high cost card and it's good for when you want to Silver-flood.  I don't know.  I guess that means it's interesting. :P

Upper-Middle Class -- primarily serves as a village.  The 1VP isn't enough to matter.  As a village, it offers top-deck control similar to Scout, but it only draws more of itself.  If you don't have any source of draw, this effect is actually a penalty more often than a benefit.  If I only have two non-drawing terminals in hand, I'd prefer having a Necropolis because any UMC I draw is useless to me now and potentially helpful next turn.  I guess it's fine, but if this and Village were both on the board I would prefer Village probably 90% of the time (the remaining 10% being for Silk Road and sometimes combos like Mystic and Wishing Well).

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: schaddeas
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:43:06 pm »

Royal Charter: I like the ideas, but I think they could be split up to make two different cards.

Startled Horse: agree with eHalcyon. I think it's too similar to Embassy with occational trashing to be worth using.

Advertisers: This is my favorite of these, although I think I would rather it have +1 or +2 cards instead of +Action.

Inheritance is one of the very few legitamately good synergies with scout (IMO), but you don't want to inherit scouts. You want to inherit something else, then use scout to draw them. (I don't think this card is worth doing.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.