Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Two Embargo-esque Events  (Read 3734 times)

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Two Embargo-esque Events
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:45:06 pm »
+22

This one's pretty simple, and I'm sure others have tried something similar. It's not very strong; if you need a Levied card, you just buy it anyway, since giving an opponent $1 is not so bad. The fiance and I played with it last night, priced at $4. We both Levied Cultists, but there were other options, like Native Village, which probably would have made more money. Even underpowered, we thought the Event added depth to the Kingdom.

The card must be bought to trigger the Tax, so that you don't just Levy Curses. Plus there's nice counter-play with gainers. I specified non-Victory, which may not be necessary, but I thought Levying the Provinces would just go on your to-do list near the end of every game.

The tax could be a drawn card, of course that would be much stronger. You could make it cost $2, but I think that would be too good for many $5/2 splits. You could give it +Buy, but my gut says an event that makes you money should eat a buy.

FAQ:
  • This event causes there to be an extra pile in the game, but not in the Supply, called the Fallow pile. Cards from the Fallow pile cannot be bought or gained. During setup, randomly select an extra Kingdom card pile to be the first Fallow pile.
  • When someone buys the Crop Rotation event, they switch the Fallow pile with a regular Kingdom pile of their choice. Cards from the old Fallow pile are now Kingdom cards and part of the Supply (so can be bought, gained, and count towards the end-game condition). Cards from the old Kingdom pile are now Fallow cards and have left the Supply (so cannot be bought nor gained).
  • Basic Supply piles (Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, and any added to the Kingdom such as Platinum from Dominion: Prosperity) cannot be made Fallow.
  • Cards that have been gained from a pile that is now Fallow continue to work as usual.

Whoa! Can you do that? Have a pile that only exists sometimes? You can; I'm doing it right now. I'm very excited about this idea, but haven't tested it yet.

At first, the idea was to designate two piles that would switch in and out (the two crops) and they'd be the same price and be assigned somehow like the Bane. I was trying to write all that in one poor event and began to wonder why it needed any extra restrictions. Why not just, there is an 11th pile, and you can put it in the Supply instead of one that is there. Did you want that juicy King's Court? Too bad, now it's a Pearl Diver, I hope you brought an extra $2 to get KC back!

It's an event with +Buy, but if you want to buy a valuable card and then banish it that same turn, you'll need to bring an extra buy yourself. Plus, including the +Buy makes it so you can always get the Fallow card if you're willing to fork over the extra cash.

The mechanic of removing a pile from the Supply may cause some weird interactions, but it should be no worse than Black Market. What happens to an exchanged Traveler when bought from the Black Market? Anyway, you can buy a Rats and rotate them out so you don't have to gain more Rats (until someone else rotates them back to mess with you). That sounds like a party to me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:51:45 pm by convolucid »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: Two Embargo-esque Events
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:39:23 am »

lol I had the Levy idea a while back i just was to lazy to do anything about it. I guess great minds think alike. Crop rotation is a very unique idea and i love it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:56:23 am »

Technicality question. Do the Dominion rules ever define a "Kingdom supply pile" as distinct from non-kingdom Supply piles? I mean, we all know what mean by Kingdom supply pile, but that's because we use the phrase around here. Nothing in Dominion makes a distinction between a kingdom card and a non-kingdom card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 11:01:09 am »
+2

Technicality question. Do the Dominion rules ever define a "Kingdom supply pile" as distinct from non-kingdom Supply piles? I mean, we all know what mean by Kingdom supply pile, but that's because we use the phrase around here. Nothing in Dominion makes a distinction between a kingdom card and a non-kingdom card.

The rules indeed do make that distinction. It's just never referenced on cards, except on Young Witch.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:02:31 pm »

The Crop Rotation idea had been discussed here as a regular action card, long before Events were a thing.  I think it may have been LF's...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 05:04:52 pm »
+1

The Crop Rotation idea had been discussed here as a regular action card, long before Events were a thing.  I think it may have been LF's...

It was. And I actually suggested it as an Event effect during the development of Adventures, though I don't think we ever tried it.

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:53:16 pm »
+2

Haha welp, don't mind me, I'll just keep accidentally necro-ing old ideas. Anyway I can see why DXV wouldn't try the Rotation idea, it's fairly weird, especially with Adventures first introducing Events. You only want so many Inheritance/Mission-level things going on.

I don't mind Setup instructions being obtuse on first read. "Kingdom card pile" and "Supply pile" are obscure, but you go to the FAQ and play it once- then it should be fairly obvious with the cards on the table. I could probably still improve the wording.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 12:17:11 am »

I like both ideas and plan to try them out.

For Levy, I would suggest:
"Put your tax token on a non-victory supply pile. When any player buys a card from that pile, take a coin token."
(just replace 'another player' with 'any player')
That way, it'd be generally more worthwhile, and could maybe cost $4.

EDIT: On further consideration, I don't think I like Crop Rotation much. It basically just makes the 11th kingdom card pile cost $2 extra coin until the next time the event is bought. It'd be more interesting if the 'rotation' wasn't so easy or couldn't happen as often.
Maybe you could just have an optional rule that sometimes you'd switch in an 11th kingdom card pile at a certian point in the game (maybe 'the first time any player has more than $7 coin to spend in their buy phase'), and have the 11th pile and the pile to switch out pre-chosen at the beginning of the game.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:34:18 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Halvard

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 12:26:47 pm »

I like Levy.  I mostly play with 4-6 players and in such a game it could become a really strong card. 

Crop Rotation is to me a novel idea.  It could be interesting as it might ruin some players´plans.  You start piling up on Fool´s Gold and someone removes the pile ...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 20 queries.