Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Non-exclusive Tournament?  (Read 2304 times)

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
Non-exclusive Tournament?
« on: November 19, 2015, 05:56:34 pm »
+2

So I like the idea of Tournament. You match it with a province: Get a sweet Prize!
I also like that each prize is unique and that you can't get copies of them.

What I don't like is that if one player gets a Trusty Steed or Followers the other player can't. This seems like a totally un-Dominion like thing.

What are the consequences of having a separate Prize pile for each player? (Each player gets access to all five prizes, but can only pick up one copy of each prize. IE: P1 gets a Followers, P2 can still get one. However, P1 couldn't just grab two Followers faster than P2, if that happened).

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Non-exclusive Tournament?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 06:05:28 pm »

I don't see any reason that variant would break the card. It would certainly make it a lot different, so people who like it the way it is probably wouldn't approve.  It might make AdamH like the card more.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:05:53 pm »
+2

Like, the real answer is Donald would have had to commission full 6 card stacks of every card and would have had to cut Harvest and, uh, what's in cornucopia, probably trade route, and like, Wishing Well, is that in there? Cut all that stuff from cornucopia just to have it.  So that's why it didn't happen. 100% sure Donald wouldn't tell you it was important to his design that everyone else lose access to Trusty Steed when someone got one.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 06:08:29 pm »
+1

Like, the real answer is Donald would have had to commission full 6 card stacks of every card and would have had to cut Harvest and, uh, what's in cornucopia, probably trade route, and like, Wishing Well, is that in there? Cut all that stuff from cornucopia just to have it.  So that's why it didn't happen. 100% sure Donald wouldn't tell you it was important to his design that everyone else lose access to Trusty Steed when someone got one.

Can't tell if serious.

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:10:36 pm »

:o ?
Huh?

I'll probably just use the fat stack of blanks I have accumulated.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 06:13:42 pm »

Can't tell if serious.

Yeah... the exclusivity seems like a pretty major part of the design. It is a pretty different card if you get rid of that. Maybe it is a good card, but it won't play like Tournament any more. 

You can always take the prize that is most likely to get you to your next prize faster (probably Steed most of the time?) instead of the most important one.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 06:18:31 pm »

What I don't like is that if one player gets a Trusty Steed or Followers the other player can't. This seems like a totally un-Dominion like thing.

Well, as long as the first player doesn't get Princess, you're still probably winning so I don't see the problem here.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1206
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:14:32 pm »

What if the prizes were randomly ordered like the Knights? So the first person to win a Tournament has to decide whether to take a Duchy or the Trusty Steed on top, knowing that he might be opening up Princess or Followers for an opponent (or the next card might also be Bag of Gold?

Or could you nerf the prizes by making the winner of the Tournament take both a Duchy and the Prize of his choice? That way, the first player to Princess would be hampered with a dead Duchy, lessening the effect of the win.

Also, requiring Tournament winners to take a Duchy would buff Bag of Gold and weaken the other prizes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:15:59 pm by Marcory »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:54:46 pm »
+4

Can't tell if serious.

What I read between the lines of his design philosophies from the Secret Histories suggests to me that he wouldn't take issue with multiple players getting Diadem.  I'm just guessing.  If you have a different guess, maybe yours is smarter and better, that's fine.  But yes, I was serious, although 100% is obviously hyperbole, but 100% certainty is always hyperbole, except for certain philosophers that think you an be really sure that you yourself exist, but those philosophers are really silly, and I'm not even 100% sure they exist.

Obviously the way Followers works, you run out of Estates if two players have them, and being the only kid on the block with a handsize attack is less novel.  So maybe he would have redesigned that one in particular if he approached cornucopia and was like "the ink and paper for 30 extra cards is magically free for this set, but you can only use them on prizes."  But I don't think the exclusive access on Steed, Bag of Gold, Diadem, and Princess are key to what makes the card a design that he likes, I think it's the fact you yourself cannot have more than one copy of each, and that you get them in that special way, and that they do things that kingdom cards don't usually do really.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 03:51:09 am »
+3

*harsh ex-colonel voice on*
Tournament goes like that, lassies: you either win it or not. There is no charity.
*harsh ex-colonel voice off*
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.