Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tribute (Alternate Version)  (Read 1901 times)

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
Tribute (Alternate Version)
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:30:21 pm »
+3

In my experience, Tribute is a pretty frustrating card to use.  If you're hoping to get +action, do you play it before your other actions?  Here is my simple attempt to fix my biggest frustration with Tribute while keeping its flavor and general power level (I think my variant is a little more powerful - which Tribute deserves).

So, what do you guys think?  Would this card be more playable than the Tribute that was printed?  Is it stronger or weaker?  Is it too strong or too weak?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Tribute (Alternate Version)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:33:41 pm »
+1

It looks like it would be pretty overpowered to me. Almost like a super-Ironmonger that attacks your opponent instead of cantripping.

I like Tribute as-is, even though it's a frustrating card. It's not often a star, but it's very interesting in kingdoms where it shines.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:42:35 pm »

Yeah, I agree this one seems too good.  I feel like it would be good at $5 with everything you did here, except keep it at 2 cards instead of bumping it to 3.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:36:18 pm »

Could you post the effect of the card in text form? My browser doesn't recognise the image.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:38:32 pm »
+1

The card posted in the OP is

Tribute
$5 - Action
+1 Action
The player to your left reveals then
discards the top 3 cards of his deck.
For each differently named card
revealed, if it is an…
Action Card; +1 Actions;
Treasure Card; +$1;
Victory Card; +1 Cards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:49:44 pm »
+8

It looks like it would be pretty overpowered to me. Almost like a super-Ironmonger that attacks your opponent instead of cantripping.

I like Tribute as-is, even though it's a frustrating card. It's not often a star, but it's very interesting in kingdoms where it shines.

Just making an opponent cycle isn't an attack.

This doesn't sound too strong to me.  The unreliability is still a factor here.  And what are you likely to hit?  If you play this against BM, it's Gold if you're lucky and don't hit duplicates.  It'll probably be a Silver more often.  Against an engine, this is just a consistent mess of +actions, nice but not that great.  If you get a non-terminal Smithy out of this, you also just cleared 3 dead cards from the top of your opponent's deck.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:55:24 pm by eHalcyon »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 11:32:24 pm »

You know, I completely disregarded the whole no bonus for duplicates. It probably is fine revealing 3 cards.

I think it might be good enough to buy semi-often if it revealed 2 and gave a bonus for duplicate cards. In the early game, that version is most likely to hit Estates and Coppers, which would produce non-terminal $2, Peddler, or Lab. Now that I've typed that out, maybe it is too weak for $5. Seems probably a bit strong for $4 though... perhaps not.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 04:35:45 am »

In my opinion the key feature of Tribute is the fact that it is sometimes a village and sometimes a terminal. To my knowledge there is no other Dominion card (unless you count Crossroads being played a second time) which works like that.
Your version elimiates the idiosyncracy of Tribute (as others have pointed out, it is now more akin to Ironmonger), mitigates the risk of not drawing action cards and increases the risk of drawing two identical card. My hunch is that the card is slightly stronger in most cases; if there are Action-Victory or Treasure-Victory cards the original is a probably a bit stronger.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.