Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: Prizes  (Read 18731 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: Prizes
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 06:05:25 pm »
+13

In order not to jinx it I've resorted to whispering "don't take the bag, don't take the bag, don't take the gold damn bag!"

And it sort of works. They never take the bag.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 06:11:34 pm »
+2

Think of all the times your opponent has won the first tournament and while waiting, you've frantically whispered to yourself "dont-take-followers-dont-take-followers-dont-take-followers." Now think of all the times you've said "dont-take-princess-dont-take-princess-dont-take-princess." That will tell you which card is better.

Usually I'm frantically whispering to myself "take-followers-take-followers-take-followers".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 06:27:17 pm »

To go with what they're saying, I see a lot of people gain Followers when Princess or Steed are clearly better options, so I'm often happy when they take it. I don't generally disagree with ehunt's original point, though. It's very often a drag when you have to put up with the attack for the rest of the game.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 06:56:41 pm »

I'm surprised Princess lost to the stupid horse, I like Princess more than Followers but have to concede that Followers is probably the better card.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 07:09:10 pm »
+1

I actually think mercenary is better than followers

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »

I think that bag o' gold needs to become something that is good even if it's only situationally good. No one is ever going to get tournament to get bag of gold.

Bag of Gold is there to sustain your deck if you rush into provinces without building much first, which is all part of the tournament experience.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 08:23:25 pm »
+5

I actually think mercenary is better than followers
i think spoils is better than the rulebook
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 09:35:47 pm »
+1

The biggest shock to me here is that the guy who filled his list out backward thought Diadem and another card were worse than Bag of Gold.

Assuming all of the outliers were from the same person, it looks like his list was as follows:

1. Diadem ("It was voted ... only on #4 and #5 except once where it was voted first.")
2. Princess
3. Bag of Gold ("It was ... never above #3.")
4. Trusty Steed ("It was voted ... never last and once on #4.")
5. Followers ("It was ... always between #1 and #3 except once where it was voted last.")

After correcting the inversion, this is the same the final results, except for ranking Bag of Gold higher, which seems plausible to me. Some players think free Gold is amazing, especially if they still favor BM over engines (a preference that would also lead to ranking Princess and Diadem lower).

I agree that this is probably the same guy who voted Duchess, Fortune Teller, and Scout "first."
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:37:37 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 10:56:15 pm »
+1

Bag is useful if you care a lot about value (Apprentice, Forge, Dev, Mason, and Bish all being major potentials) there is no non-terminal that adds more value to your deck per turn. I have had massive good times using it to Develop the gold into Kc/$5 and crush my opponent; I think this is the only time I have ever bought Bag first (Bag -> Tournament -> Dev (gold -> Kc/Draw) -> Tournament -> Kc -> Draw). The problem is, that you can just gain a $5 Duchy and trash that for a lot of the stuff you might want to trash Golds with. $5 of value is often good enough for a lot of cards (e.g. Salvager). A few other times you might want the treasure over the duchy (e.g. Magpie, Counterfeit), but in general, you can already hit $8 and having a gold on top just drops your chances of having a province to pair with a tournament.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 11:15:35 pm »

Edge case: Treasure hunter is a non terminal that can add more value to your deck than Bag o' gold. So is hero+mint with an action token on it.
Anyway I agree with this post for the most part. The thing is that it is really rare that it is worth getting it over duchy that late in the game even in a kingdom with moderate synergy.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 11:41:56 pm »

Edge case: Treasure hunter is a non terminal that can add more value to your deck than Bag o' gold. So is hero+mint with an action token on it.
Anyway I agree with this post for the most part. The thing is that it is really rare that it is worth getting it over duchy that late in the game even in a kingdom with moderate synergy.

Even Trusty Steed can do it: +2 Actions, gain 4 Silvers and put your deck into your discard.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 20 queries.