Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Old Computer Games  (Read 8753 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Old Computer Games
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:28:44 pm »

For some reason today I just remembered this old game I used to play on my first PC back in the 90's, called Escape From Hell.  It was like an RPG where you were in Hell and have to find a way out.  It was meta and hilarious, and I remember dying a lot.  I don't think I ever got through it.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/escapefromhell/escapefromhell.htm

Anyone ever play it?  Or have other interesting early games

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Old Computer Games
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:44:45 pm »

Never played that. But my favorite old game: Descent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:24:38 pm »
+1

Never played that. But my favorite old game: Descent.

Descent Freespace was much better.

My favorite old school games is still Trade Wars 2002.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:36:38 pm »

As long as we're talking about old games, there's the Marathon Trilogy that's worth checking out if you're a fan of 3D shooters and stories full of mind-screws.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 01:05:00 am »

Here's one of my favorite old games:
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Zak_McKracken_and_the_Alien_Mindbenders_Enhanced_1988

I also loved the original Zork trilogy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:45 am »
+2

Commander Keen (4) was really weird with the strange creatures and levels, but also an awesome platformer.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:49:16 am »

Commander Keen (4) was really weird with the strange creatures and levels, but also an awesome platformer.

I only played Commander Keen 1! it was awesome. the secret level! the teddy bears!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:53:22 am »
+1

I've got a friend who keeps saying that's still playing, on and off, this game called Narlach that he started ages ago, presumably when we were back in school. Now this game is really old, think of something like Ultima III, and he's still hasn't finished it after 30 years!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 09:31:49 am »

Depends on what you mean by "old". For sorta old, I used to love Rise of the Triad and Blake Stone. And the old side-scrolling Duke Nukems. For actually old, I used to play all sorts of things on my Apple IIe. Most with names I can't remember. Obviously Oregon Trail, but also a bunch of other stuff.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 09:40:11 am »

Anyone ever play Heretic?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 09:56:13 am »

Anyone ever play Heretic?
Sure. I played most of the "doom clones" that borrowed Doom's engine. So that includes Heretic, Hexen, and Strife for me. For Doom and Heretic, I recommend trying to beat all levels with a pistol start. All the levels are designed to be beatable without needing to carry over equipment from previous levels.

I also played Rise of the Triad, which my cousin had, and Wolfenstein 3D.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 10:15:23 am »
+2

Is Roller Coaster Tycoon old yet? What about SimTower? Between these two I probably sunk 500 hours of my childhood into these.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 10:58:59 am »

Jetpack is awesome. The pre-built levels aren't that interesting, but the level editor lets you really explore the possibilities and the limitations of the game to make really fun and difficult levels. I actually still play it occasionally.

I also played Commander Keen 4. It was pretty good. Lemmings was pretty good too, although I mostly played it on Sega Megadrive.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:02:12 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 12:02:05 pm »

There were a lot of games I didn't play back then. I didn't have a PC of my own until 1997. Prior to that, I used someone else's. Granted, I got some really fun games of X-Com, Doom, Populous, Quake, Welltris and Wolfenstein out of those machines. Prior to that, I had my C64, which certainly did not keep up with the '90s. I did enjoy some Bard's Tale, Wasteland, and Ultima. I can recall some action games on C64, but I can't say I remember their names. I used to play the hell out of a top-down scroller where you shot people and earned money to upgrade guns.

And then BBS games. I can't remember all the names except for Trade Wars. I was usually outmatched in TW by more obsessive players (or possibly cheaters, such as the sysop watching you play your game so he knows where your base is). I remember a kingdom-building game that was only accessible to C64s. I did pretty well in that one.

But somehow I missed out on a lot of classics: Fallout, Monkey Island, and even Oregon Trail.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 04:47:15 pm »

Is Roller Coaster Tycoon old yet? What about SimTower? Between these two I probably sunk 500 hours of my childhood into these.

Sim tower was so very great.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 01:20:35 am »

I used to play BBS games a lot too. I played Trade Wars a little bit, but didn't care for it much. The Pit was one of my favorites along with a middle ages-themed one that I forget the name of.

I also played Commander Keen, but I don't remember them well enough to think what was different about #4 from the first 3 Keen games.
I had the old Duke Nukem games too, and I remember making a lot of custom levels with the level editor. Games with level editors were usually my favorites.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 04:09:16 am »

Blake Stone.
Blake Stone was great!  My favourite from that era though was Raptor Call of the Shadows, I loved that game.

Getting a bit more modern, Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2 were brilliant.

Also Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, about the only good thing to come out of Episode 1 other than the starship designs.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:24 am »
+1

I used to play BBS games a lot too. I played Trade Wars a little bit, but didn't care for it much. The Pit was one of my favorites along with a middle ages-themed one that I forget the name of.

I also played Commander Keen, but I don't remember them well enough to think what was different about #4 from the first 3 Keen games.
I had the old Duke Nukem games too, and I remember making a lot of custom levels with the level editor. Games with level editors were usually my favorites.

Legend of the Red Dragon!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 09:26:08 am »

Blake Stone.
Blake Stone was great!  My favourite from that era though was Raptor Call of the Shadows, I loved that game.
[..]
Yeah, I played Blake Stone, excellent Wolfenstein clone!

The first PC games I played came on 5 1/4" floppy disks (the ones that could actually flop instead of the later solid 3 1/2" disks).
I played Test Drive, Paper Boy and some sort of sports game (bowling, air hockey, table tennis, darts) on an orange/black screen.
I would love to find the name of that first old PC, but I can't remember it. I thought it was a NEC or HEAD or something?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 10:02:18 am »
+1

Blake Stone.

Getting a bit more modern, Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2 were brilliant.

Also Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, about the only good thing to come out of Episode 1 other than the starship designs.
Oh man, Raptor:CotS takes me back. I also played an older shoot'em up called Major Striker, but only the demo on a floppy disk. I remember one of my cousins had Commander Keen. I didn't play that very much because I sucked at it so hard.

And who can forget the original Prince of Persia (the one where you have to beat it in an hour). Never got past Level 7 in that game.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 10:08:24 am »

One of the first computer games I remember playing was Q*bert.  Anyone remember that?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 10:58:05 am »

One of the first computer games I remember playing was Q*bert.  Anyone remember that?

I remember the arcade version. I am aware that it was ported to home play, though I'm curious what they did considering that all movements were diagonal.

One game I loved to play on the C64 was a puzzle game where you move a robot around and pick up dots. With various elevators and conveyors, you had to navigate around the screen. I couldn't remember the name, but you can see a screenshot in message #168 of this link: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=10639802. I can't link to the message directly for some reason.

And now I just opened a Pandora's Box by finding a thread called "Guess the Old School Video Game." I do have vague memories of the Last Ninja, though. Looks like I'll be stuck in that topic for a while. Oops, or not. I can't click on any of the links of that page, which explains why I can't link directly to it. Must be a snapshot of a message board, which is weird.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 11:03:44 am »
+2

Aha, Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory. Not very creative, but it gets the point across:
http://w11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/single/?p=8104470&t=7896706

Oh yes, I brought that up originally because you could create levels. And there were no elevators. You had ladders and the one-way jumping blocks (you know the ones: where you can jump up to a platform because you can walk through floors higher than you but you can't get down that way).

And that thread reminded me of Archon. I loved playing that game. Chess is a little more exciting with death modes. Battle Chess was cute, but it got tedious watching all the death animations each time, especially when it took a while for those awesome graphics to render.
A man has no signature

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 01:58:24 pm »

For some reason today I just remembered this old game I used to play on my first PC back in the 90's, called Escape From Hell.
Name is very similar to this one

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 02:01:26 pm »

Nobunaga's Ambition for me.  They made an iOS version but it is overpriced.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.