Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Old Computer Games  (Read 8781 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
Re: Old Computer Games
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 02:55:49 pm »

I used to play BBS games a lot too. I played Trade Wars a little bit, but didn't care for it much. The Pit was one of my favorites along with a middle ages-themed one that I forget the name of.

I also played Commander Keen, but I don't remember them well enough to think what was different about #4 from the first 3 Keen games.
I had the old Duke Nukem games too, and I remember making a lot of custom levels with the level editor. Games with level editors were usually my favorites.

Legend of the Red Dragon!
Yup that was it.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 12:37:08 am »

I really enjoyed the Kings Quest games growing up.  The first one I played was KQ V, but then we eventually bought all of them.  I struggled a bit with some of the early games that didn't let you use a mouse, but figuring out all the different puzzles* was a lot of fun.

*There may or may not have been some of the puzzles in the various games that I may or may not have used a strategy guide for
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:38:33 am by 2.71828..... »
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 02:27:38 am »

Oh man, old adventure games were hard!
So hard that you could fuck it up so bad as to not be able to complete the game anymore!
Every save slot was vital in those games and knowing when to save was key.

I'm looking at you, Robin Hood Conquests of the Longbow!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 07:41:35 am »

*There may or may not have been some of the puzzles in the various games that I may or may not have used a strategy guide for

With some games, I think that a guide was necessary. Many years later, I read what it took to win Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I don't see how anyone could have gotten that without some help (which surely leaked from the developers somewhere). Hell, I was impressed that I could figure out how to get the Babelfish.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 03:48:14 pm »

Aha, Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory. Not very creative, but it gets the point across:
http://w11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/single/?p=8104470&t=7896706

Oh yes, I brought that up originally because you could create levels. And there were no elevators. You had ladders and the one-way jumping blocks (you know the ones: where you can jump up to a platform because you can walk through floors higher than you but you can't get down that way).

And that thread reminded me of Archon. I loved playing that game. Chess is a little more exciting with death modes. Battle Chess was cute, but it got tedious watching all the death animations each time, especially when it took a while for those awesome graphics to render.

Mister Robot... That was my very first game <3

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 06:07:23 pm »
+1

I'll just leave this here.

http://webccgame.com/?page=play

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 04:01:48 am »

Oh no, my workday is ruined now.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 08:18:52 am »
+1

Oh no, my workday is ruined now.

Fortunately (I guess), I can't do those things at work. However, I'm working on clearing off my DVR, and this game did threaten that. I'm not too far in yet.

Speaking of games at work, I am reminded of my first exposure to Leisure Suit Larry. It was at my job as a telemarketer. It was a crap job anyway, and it had a huge turnover rate. At one point it was just me and the manager in the call center. I was about 16 or 17 and had the innocent glow that adults were always responsible and authoritative. So it was kind of shocking when my manager took advantage of the lull in employment to boot up a new game on the office computer (which no one knew what to do with it since we still did everything manually).

And so we spent a few hours each evening solving the mystery of how to get Larry laid. Naturally, the manager was fired shortly after since we had no orders.

But man, that game seemed so dirty back then. I was familiar with Farmer's Daughter, but that was a text-based adventure game. Leisure Suit Larry had graphics. Pixelated boobies, man.
A man has no signature

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 02:31:59 pm »

the first rpg I ever played was Exile: escape from the pit, along with the rest of the series. Did anyone else ever play those?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.