Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: potential ways of signal-boosting streams?  (Read 1688 times)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
potential ways of signal-boosting streams?
« on: November 13, 2015, 09:27:29 pm »
+6

hi everyone, this is an area i've been thinking about for a bit and i've come up with something.

so a neat thing you can do on twitch is hosting.  this is most effective if you've just finished streaming and another one is live or just about to start, and i think i've seen some players do that before.

i'm trying something a bit different, though: hosting a stream on mine and just inviting people to chat in there.  the idea is that i can break down the absolute basic stuff to go along with the stream's more advanced commentary, which i think would be more engaging to new viewers than just going into the actual stream where the chat is all experts & memelords.  the actual stream still gets credit for the viewers through hosting, and it gives you a button to follow them, so it wouldn't cannibalize the way a restream would.  i brought this up on twitter and am going to try it with the titandrake-pubby match and future A/B matches in the league.

anyone with a pre-existing audience from elsewhere could do this, i think.  any other suggestions?

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: potential ways of signal-boosting streams?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 08:48:59 pm »

what i've found thus far is that i can get some people to hang around even though i haven't streamed in forever (and haven't streamed video games in like a year) - they don't really chat with me usually, but they stick around and seem to be interested.  i have had someone tell me that they like what i do and that it would be scary to go in the main chat not knowing any of the cards, lol

i also get opportunities to link the streams of various A divison-caliber players like mic/stef/adam - don't wanna throw too many names at once so i just tend to stick with those.  i will do this hosting etc. with other streams for sure, though!

i think having me talk things through helps the most on those turns where someone takes 5 minutes to figure out whether they can end the game. that's the sort of thing that will absolutely lose new people unless they understand what exactly the player is trying to accomplish.  remember that the 3-pile rule isn't exactly intuitive!

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:19:42 pm »

What level of explanation do you give in your chat when you host? Intro-to-Dominion level chat, or intro-to-higher-level-play level discussion?

funkdoc

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:19:55 am »

both, haha. i'm a longtime video-game streamer & tournament player so that's my crowd - eurogames still have yet to break through to a lot of that world, so they know nothing about dominion.  magic is fairly well-known there so using that for analogies would probably work best, but i don't know magic at all so welp

so yea, i'm describing how horn of plenty works and then how it can create megaturns, so the players have to take time and decide when to go for it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.