Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 139  All

Author Topic: M72: Marvel Heroes Mafia (Town Wins!)  (Read 322077 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
Re: M72: Marvel Heroes Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #625 on: November 30, 2015, 11:45:29 pm »

I like a vote: Ampharos

You know, something to get me on the board.  Plus he totally escaped scrutiny for his scumminess because (in my opinion) silverspawn voted him for the wrong reasons.

His scum tells are

- Look, I am calmly thinking about the possibility of scum!me, but it doesn't matter, since it's all hypothetical
- LOOK, I TOTALLY DO NOT FEEL PRESSURED BY YOUR VOTE!

These are the most important ones.

There's also

- Look, I consider your scum read on me to be valid
- Look, I am totally calm about the option of lynching me and am judging it objectively
- Obligatory 'you will realize I'm town' near the end

All of those (except maybe the last one if you take it out of context) are more likely to be from fairly new scum than fairly new town

1) I do think about the possibility of scum!me because it is a hypothetical situation that people are faced with.  I don't think that is necessarily scummy.

2) This one is more valid, and along the reasoning of my vote.  Everything he did early was about prevention.  Running a defense before the opponent even made it onto the field.  There was no pressure, so why bother mention it?  Because it is prevents people from making that argument in the future.

I am all about taking a step back and looking at things objectively.  I mean, I even find myself agreeing with the ref when he makes a correct (but close) call against my team even though everyone else seems to get super upset.  I can distance myself from the situation, including in mafia, and that isn't a scum tell.

What I do think is a scum tell is shutting down arguments and cases before they are even made
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 30, 2015, 11:48:36 pm »

Granted, Ampharos has been very useful and helpful since then.  He has toned down the crazy, and come through with some good theory talk and stuff.  Because he has already escaped all attention on D1.

He brought attention to himself by opening with a good salvo.  He gets some people to vote him, but there is nothing there.  He calms down and gives some good contributions.  (Like I said, I am a sucker for reads posts).  Which establishes him as not scum and helpful town.

I call it manipulation.

Good manipulation.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 30, 2015, 11:55:12 pm »

reads (no particular order)

Town

silverspawn
RR
iguana
yuma
hydrad

meh
witherweaver
Teproc
EgorK
Awaclus
Haddock

scummier
Ampharos
faust

I felt kind of bad leaving Ampharos on his own with the scummier side of things so I threw faust in there too.  Not really sure what to think about Haddock at this point, Awaclus could be scum, Teproc is cool, witherweaver is interesting.

We still have a week to go, so I will hopefully be able to be much more active and contribute a lot more this second half of D1 (although work is being annoying right now and might have some late nights.  Plus west coast sucks because it seems like everyone else is asleep when I am around to post)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 30, 2015, 11:59:05 pm »

Town vibes from 2.7.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 01, 2015, 12:03:35 am »

Town vibes from 2.7.

I also love how I get town reads for being v/la.  Basically every either forgot about me or gave me a town read.  Maybe I should vacation more. I think that is basically what that means.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: December 01, 2015, 12:04:07 am »

Town vibes from 2.7.

I also love how I get town reads for being v/la.  Basically every* either forgot about me or gave me a town read.  Maybe I should vacation more. I think that is basically what that means.

*everyone

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2015, 12:05:41 am »

Town vibes from 2.7.

I also love how I get town reads for being v/la.  Basically every either forgot about me or gave me a town read.  Maybe I should vacation more. I think that is basically what that means.
No, you get town vibes because of your recent post.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 01, 2015, 12:34:48 am »

Two pages behind, but thanks for all the <3.  Too bad buddying is scummy.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 01, 2015, 02:31:04 am »

Vote Count 1.7:

iguanaiguana (2): ss, Hydrad
silverspawn (2): WW, RR
Witherweaver (1): Awaclus
Ampharos (2): faust, 2.7
faust (1): Ampharos
EgorK (2): Haddock, iguana
RR (1): EgorK
Hydrad (2): Teproc, yuma

Not Voting (0):

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

Day 1 ends on December 8 at 9:00 a.m. forum time.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 01, 2015, 07:27:00 am »

I would of responded

please, stop! think about my feelings!! ;_;

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 01, 2015, 07:33:10 am »

disagree. Town says it often enough. Sure they might not need to say it, but I know I have said it before as town, or at least something similar.

I feel like here you are working under the assumption that iguana is mafia and then interpreting things he says as if he were mafia. I guess that is one approach. I look at this and am trying to see it an unknown light.  [...]

This is basically the same argument twice, and you can really use that on any case. Everything scum does, town can also do. I'm saying scum is more likely to do it. It's a probabilistic argument.

You would prefer more null reads, you say, after he basically gives three null reads? I don't get it
I guess that was awkwardly placed. It was a comment about the entire reads list, just accidentally placed under his null reads

but yes. three null reads aren't much. of course, null reads are worse than non-null reads, but I'm saying that a new town player would have a much harder time coming up with actual reads. Something like, 3 town reads, 1 scum read, rest null is what I would find towny.

Of course, this is again something town can do.

and I am not sure what you are saying here... I mean I don't get a super townie feel from this list. But that isn't the purpose of these sort of lists. The purpose of these lists is that sometimes they can be useful to go back on during rereads and also for sometimes figuring out if there is enough support for a certain wagon.

well... sure. okay. If that was the intent, then that's fine.

I think the intent was to look towny and to fabricate content.

Ampharos

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 01, 2015, 07:39:19 am »

Granted, Ampharos has been very useful and helpful since then.  He has toned down the crazy, and come through with some good theory talk and stuff.  Because he has already escaped all attention on D1.

He brought attention to himself by opening with a good salvo.  He gets some people to vote him, but there is nothing there.  He calms down and gives some good contributions.  (Like I said, I am a sucker for reads posts).  Which establishes him as not scum and helpful town.

I call it manipulation.

Good manipulation.

You forgot the part where I sent cookies to everyone's house.  Speaking of that, what's your address again?

In all seriousness, you have legit points.  I haven't really been scrutinized.  I'd like to think that my play is pretty openly town, but it might be a bit early to let me off the hook.  Give me more attention, dangit!  ::)

One thing I'd like to talk about is faust - we haven't had much discussion about him except for a few people throwing out little sentences here and there, and iguana and myself going after him a little bit.  Since you threw him in the scummy side of your list, what do you think?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 01, 2015, 07:39:36 am »

Eh...

I try not to kick people when they are down? Faust sounds frustrated with all the crap he's been getting lately, and to be fair I'm responsible for a fair portion of that.

It's not like I'm giving him town points for it. But I'd like to see a lot of people get a bit more involved in this game, not just Faust. There is plenty to go off of right now.

Like you, for instance! What exactly has WW contributed again?
This sounds like town to me.

... how on earth is that towny? or did you mean scummy? if you meant scummy, then you're right.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 01, 2015, 07:47:38 am »

You know, something to get me on the board.  Plus he totally escaped scrutiny for his scumminess because (in my opinion) silverspawn voted him for the wrong reasons.

His scum tells are

- Look, I am calmly thinking about the possibility of scum!me, but it doesn't matter, since it's all hypothetical [...]

1) I do think about the possibility of scum!me because it is a hypothetical situation that people are faced with.  I don't think that is necessarily scummy.

sure... it's a pro town thing to do.

That does not mean it's not a scum tell.

Note that I would not attribute any scum points to you for doing this, so the fact that you are doing it isn't really evidence. But newer players just are more likely to do it when they're scum. I believe this is common wisdom? 'The phrase "If I was scum" is a scumtell'?

I ordered my points by relevance, btw. that was the strongest argument.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 01, 2015, 07:56:43 am »

Note that I would not attribute any scum points to you for doing this, so the fact that you are doing it isn't really evidence. But newer players just are more likely to do it when they're scum. I believe this is common wisdom? 'The phrase "If I were scum" is a scumtell'?
FTFY.  Grammar, people.
Actual contributions to come later.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:27 am »

FTFY.  Grammar, people.
Actual contributions to come later.

Don't worry. I'm a friend of grammar. afa I'm concerned, it's a fine contribution.

... but I thought "If I was" and "If I were" are both equally valid?

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 01, 2015, 08:19:30 am »

... but I thought "If I was" and "If I were" are both equally valid?
That's not my understanding, at least as far as British English goes, no idea about US variants. 
"If I was" is probably in increasingly common usage, so people say we should let the language evolve.  But I say stagnate, people!  Stagnate!
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 01, 2015, 08:48:35 am »

As I say right now, "I don't like it."  This gives me all sorts of bad feelings about Ampharos being But really?  No one is attacking you, and the first thing you do is come out with a defense of yourself.  No one is even voting for you!  Yet you fiercely defend yourself like your life is on the line and we are about to do this terrible mislynch.  THAT is scummy.

I feel like this is one of those things that we repeatedly say is scummy and then lynch said person and he flips town. I mean, in principle I agree with you, but I feel that in application this train of thought has rarely worked out. People want to stay alive regardless of alignment and some people will react to slight pressure as if it is the world--and I think be more likely to do that as town in fact. But really, that opinion isn't backed up by anything--but neither is yours--except my memory of this argument not working in the past. I don't remember well enough to have any specific examples in mind.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 01, 2015, 09:11:15 am »

I guess that was awkwardly placed. It was a comment about the entire reads list, just accidentally placed under his null reads

but yes. three null reads aren't much. of course, null reads are worse than non-null reads, but I'm saying that a new town player would have a much harder time coming up with actual reads. Something like, 3 town reads, 1 scum read, rest null is what I would find towny.

Except that my lowest 'town' read was e, who I listed as being next to null, and the same more or less for WW on the other side! Plus I list you and Faust both as 'torn,' which is another way of saying that I have seen a confusing mix of scummy and apparently pro-town posts from you both that add up to me not having a strong opinion either way. To me this is another form of 'null.' If you don't like it, I don't know what to say, except I'm sorry but I intend to use it every game where someone is pushing me in both directions, so you'd better get used to it or you will always think I am scum.

At this point, I am pretty sure you will interpret nearly everything I say as scummy because you are already convinced of me. In fact, when I clarified my reasoning for my read on Yuma, you found it unfortunate that I could show it was authentic. So do I even respond to you anymore? What's even the point in continuing to defend myself when you are past the point of being willing to give me a chance?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: December 01, 2015, 09:20:38 am »

you should also know by now, whenever there is a wagon day 1 on me that I am town and whomever I'm voting for  is scum

Except that time we lynched you as scum Day 1.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:15 am »

Hmm so I have no clue where the votes are. I'm just guessing ss is at around 4? that sounds like a good number to me. So he should be fine.

But now that I'm caught up who do I get to vote for...

lets go Vote: Iguana

This is silly, but I think indicative of a town Hydrad.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 01, 2015, 09:22:33 am »

So, everyone discussing silver case on iguana, right? I find them both towny (although slightly)

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 01, 2015, 09:22:56 am »

While RR is really scum here

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 01, 2015, 09:23:40 am »

Actually let's skip the unexplained vote thing. It's fun but this game is already too scattered.

Hmm so I have no clue where the votes are. I'm just guessing ss is at around 4? that sounds like a good number to me. So he should be fine.

But now that I'm caught up who do I get to vote for...

lets go Vote: Iguana

This is a scummy, scummy vote. It gets by because Hydrad is Hydrad and he does this all the time but come on. I think Hydrad just says what he thinks all the time, and how does town!Hydrad think "oooh, I'm on a growing wagon, better get off it quickly for no reason".

I'm getting GOP Mafia flashbacks from this, where I let Hydrad get away with it because I kind of gave up any hope of reading him. I think town!Hydrad does at least try to help town when he's doing relevant stuff, and here I'm just getting a "whoopdidoo, who am I gonna vote now ? Who's a popular wagon, let's try that, could be fun".

Hydrad's sig is relevant here.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.