Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: TR on Distant Lands  (Read 7279 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
TR on Distant Lands
« on: November 11, 2015, 06:02:59 pm »

Why would I ever want to use Throne Room on a Distant Lands?  Is there some instance where that is the optimal play?

I have two trivial answers that use a TR variant, but I don't have an actually legitimate answer - I look forward to your solutions!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: TR on Distant Lands
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 06:04:16 pm »

Why would I ever want to use Throne Room on a Distant Lands?  Is there some instance where that is the optimal play?

I have two trivial answers that use a TR variant, but I don't have an actually legitimate answer - I look forward to your solutions!
Golem and herald are the easy ones

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:04:54 pm »
+6

Easy. You have TR/TR/Terminal/Distant Lands in hand. Playing TR->TR->Terminal/Distant Lands is the only way to play both non-TRs.

Edit: spoiler tags
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 06:41:36 pm »
+1

You need to reduce handsize or otherwise get the Throne Room out of your hand. Suppose your hand is two Throne Rooms, two Distant Lands, and a Menagerie. (And you have an extra action for some reason.)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 06:44:08 pm »
+1

procession makes sense

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 07:00:42 pm »
+1

Peddler etc.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 07:05:35 pm »

You might have set aside throne room with prince. You might want to play your throne room to make peddlers cheaper. You might want to play the throne room knowing you have a schemes already in play. You might want to play the throne room to improve your horn of plenty. You might want to play your throne room before you trash your hand with a count. Pilgrimage. Etc.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 08:13:16 pm »
+2

A lot of the answers so far are wrong I think... because they seem to forget that you can just play your Throne Room after you play your Distant Lands, on the other action that you wanted to play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 10:17:22 pm »

Your hand: Village, Distant Lands, Watchtower, 2 Coppers.

Play Village, drawing Crossroads.

Play Crossroads, reveal Distant Lands, draw Throne Room.

Throning a Watchtower is useless. Thanks to deck tracking, you know that there are 3 treasures and a key Action left in your deck before the shuffle. Thanks to last turn's Pearl Diver, you know that the bottom card of your deck is a Smithy (you didn't topdeck it last turn because the Pearl Diver had already drawn a Smithy and you only had 1 action left).

Now, if you TR the Distant Lands, then play Watchtower, you can draw the Treasures and the Smithy, play the Smithy, and continue your turn with 1 action remaining.

EDIT: This doesn't work; you could play the Distant Lands first, then the TR vacuously on the Watchtower.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:09:09 pm by Marcory »

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 10:49:09 pm »
+3

Distant Lands has some sort of token on it. + Card, + Action, + $ or + Buy would all do it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 10:49:31 pm »

procession makes sense

That's the trivial answer.  One of them, at least.  Can you figure out the other one?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 11:45:14 pm »

procession makes sense

That's the trivial answer.  One of them, at least.  Can you figure out the other one?

Disciple, to gain another one
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 05:01:05 am »
+1

A lot of the answers so far are wrong I think... because they seem to forget that you can just play your Throne Room after you play your Distant Lands, on the other action that you wanted to play.

But Distant Lands is terminal, right? If I play Distant Lands first, there will be no action left to play the rest.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 08:09:50 am »
+12

I've found a good reason to play it with king's court. You can set up a hand of king's court, kings' court, distant lands, militia, masquerade.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:07 am »

I've found a good reason to play it with king's court. You can set up a hand of king's court, kings' court, distant lands, militia, masquerade.

Oh dear.  Then just buy Distant Lands every turn.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 08:53:27 am »

I have last turn's Fishing Village in play, and Throne Room, Distant Lands, and Conspirator in hand, and want to draw exactly one card for some reason. (Reshuffle considerations probably.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 10:25:21 am »
+1

But Distant Lands is terminal, right? If I play Distant Lands first, there will be no action left to play the rest.

For several of the answers I've seen, they assume you have already played a Village or something anyway. If you hadn't played a Village, you wouldn't be able to play Menagerie, Count, etc after TR+Distant Lands anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 04:59:16 pm »

As for most cards that don't have any special effect when throned (Counting House, Secret Chamber, several Reserves), it helps activating Conspirators. The Throne Room itself is also an additional card for Peddler. And for Distant Lands as well as some of the other named cards, using the TR helps reducing your handsize for draw-to-X, Menagerie, Hunting Party etc.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 12:57:03 am »

For Conspirator, it's best to just Throne the Conspirator.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 03:35:06 am »
+1

For Conspirator, it's best to just Throne the Conspirator.

My bad, i figured that when you asked for edge cases, you were asking for cases where something might be the case under specific circumstances. Apparently you wanted non-edge-cases edge cases.

TR/DL-Conspirator behaves slightly different than TR/Conspirator. This means that you can construct edge cases where one is better than the other. What do i know, you have Fishing Village in play and want to draw one card without having the additional +$2 because you want to play Storyteller and would trigger a reshuffle with those two cards...
Yes i know it's contrived, but after all, that's why they are edge cases.

Anothr thing, you could have a token on Distand Lands.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:36:23 am by Asper »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 12:20:41 pm »
+1

I guess what I was going for is when would TR-DL be the optimal play for someone playing optimally.  You're not normally going to put tokens on DL.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 12:22:18 pm »
+4

I guess what I was going for is when would TR-DL be the optimal play for someone playing optimally.  You're not normally going to put tokens on DL.

TL-DR is oftentimes the optimal play in forum discussions, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 01:28:28 pm »
+2

Your opponent put it there with Possession.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.929 seconds with 20 queries.