Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What is the biggest problem for you with Playdominion now (with 2.0.44.2)?  (Read 12938 times)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
+5

This is a follow-up to my previous poll for 2.0.43. The "winner" then had to do with not getting the right level of opponents in the matchmaking, something there has been changes to in 2.0.44. The runner-up then had to do with the point-counter, which isn't changed. Meanwhile several people have reported not being able to play at all with 2.0.44, and a serious bug with deleted files has been reported. I've added a few options, and hope that everyone's favourite beef is in here in some way.

If you don't use 2.0.44.2 (don't play at all, use a previous version or use the web version), pick the main reason you don't!
If you do use 2.0.44.2 try to pick the thing that would benefit your playing the most.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
Re: What is the biggest problem for you with Playdominion now (with 2.0.44.2)?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:12:27 pm »
+1

I voted for the interface problems. Second for me is being forced to play without the point counter and/or against someone whom I've just declined to play.

For the interface, the biggest problem is being able to quickly and accurate select the right card from my hand. This is especially bad when playing with Ruins, as those cards are virtually indistinguishable from each other based on the margin and you will almost always have different version of them in your deck. I know you can drag them out and back in if you're careful, but that risks playing the card.

There are many more minor interface problems, but this seems the most severe to me right now.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:21:41 pm »

I voted VP counter, but interface issues are definitely second. The issues with large hands, and not being able to see all relevant information at once are quite annoying.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:39:35 pm »
+2

I'm voting can't use it. Technically I now can, but the web alpha interface is so slow that I may as well set up and play an IRL game of dominion and be done with the game sooner.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:51:39 pm »

I'm voting can't use it. Technically I now can, but the web alpha interface is so slow that I may as well set up and play an IRL game of dominion and be done with the game sooner.

It was meant to be only about the download client!

If you don't use 2.0.44.2 (don't play at all, use a previous version or use the web version), pick the main reason you don't!

I can use the web alpha interface, but with strange residues from earlier turns seen in playing area and with some instability. But I rather use 2.0.43. I can't use 2.0.44.2 at all, because it just crashes, and twice it has made my computer crash at that, so I'm not that keen on experimenting with it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:53:03 pm »
+3

I chose "Can't Use It," not because I can't use it, but because I feel that people being unable to use it is a more pressing problem than just about anything else.  It seems they're working on the installer problem though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 01:56:34 pm »

I can't even use the web interface at all, so that's what I voted for as well.  It tells me I need Firefox which I downloaded and it still didn't work.  I'M actually teaching my 7 year old boy to play IRL with me and that's probably gonna be my only chance for a long time to be able to play the Adventures expansion too.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 02:01:41 pm »
+5

I chose "Can't Use It," not because I can't use it, but because I feel that people being unable to use it is a more pressing problem than just about anything else.  It seems they're working on the installer problem though.

But you're skewing the results when you vote and say that's *your* problem when it's not. I can't tell anyone else how to vote, but I would rather see this poll reflect personal experience and then let the results be assigned weights as appropriate (assuming anyone cares to look at them).

For example: 10% saying they can't use it should probably be interpreted as a more significant problem than 50% complaining about VP-tracker matching. Hopefully we don't need to artificially inflate that 10% number for someone to come to this conclusion.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:02:47 pm by Cave-o-sapien »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 02:31:11 pm »
+1

I voted can't see stuff as that actually affects my ability to play games. I also misclick a lot on the new client which was something I almost never did on Goko. However, I feel the most pertinent issue for MF is taking care of the overheating issue/inability for other people to play.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 02:54:11 pm »

For some bizarre reason, this version has not worked with me at all. 2.0.43 was fine, but this hasn't started well yet.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 03:04:43 pm »
+2

I voted the interface issues, because I personally haven't had problems running the program.  That said, I think the biggest problem (from MF's perspective) and the things they should work on is the fact that some (many?) people can't play at all.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 03:21:54 pm »
+1

For example: 10% saying they can't use it should probably be interpreted as a more significant problem than 50% complaining about VP-tracker matching.

But this poll does nothing to indicate how we should assign multipliers to those percentages.  I'd make a connection here with the problems of political polls and selfishness/altruism, but then I'd have to go to the darkness that is RPS.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 03:29:03 pm »
+5

It's stunning to me that the currently winning option is "I'm sometimes forced to play without the VP counter". I mean sheesh, it's still Dominion. I've softened on this issue a lot, and I even have "Prefer VP counter ON" when I play in order to be friendly, but it's still pretty bizarre to me that some folks care more about avoiding VPOff than they do about, say, Watchtower's interface getting fixed.

I'd make a connection here with the problems of political polls and selfishness/altruism, but then I'd have to go to the darkness that is RPS.

The poll asks "What is the *biggest* problem for you with Playdominion 2.0.44.2?", so I don't think altruism really enters into it. I think Making Fun's highest priority should be to make it playable for everyone, but that's not what the poll is asking, so I voted for a different option.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:30:11 pm by LastFootnote »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 11:01:14 pm »
+2

I voted on the overheating issue again. Two other issues are very close behind for me and one of them isn't on this list. One is the interface where you can't always see all the cards in your hand (and similar problems).

The one which isn't on this list, is that in the kingdom chooser you can't choose random excluding only certain cards, you can only choose to include or not include whole expansions. I love most of dark ages, but I don't want to play with Rebuild. I love most of Cornucopia, but I never want to play with Tournament. Close along with that one is the lack of list of online players to challenge or a casual-mode automatch where you can use the kingdom chooser, but that's kind of irrelevant at this point while the kindom chooser is mostly useless right now.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:04:18 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 05:22:54 am »
+17

Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »

I think Making Fun's highest priority should be to make it playable for everyone, but that's not what the poll is asking, so I voted for a different option.

I'm guessing that in this context, "everyone" means "everyone who could play on Goko previously"?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 01:12:37 pm »
+1

[XKCD]

Thank you for better explaining what I was going after.  There really is an XKCD for every occasion.

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 02:07:56 pm »
+2

But this poll does nothing to indicate how we should assign multipliers to those percentages.

Because that is better done by the beholder.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 04:11:04 pm »
+4

But this poll does nothing to indicate how we should assign multipliers to those percentages.

Because that is better done by the beholder.

Which beholder, though?

Is it Making Fun?  As of yesterday, Making Fun could have looked at this poll and said "Well, obviously we need to work on matching people who want to use the point counter," and would have been entirely justified in saying "Well, this was the first item on your list, look, we're taking your feedback!"

Or is the beholder you, the OP?  OK, why not state that and explain how you'll be using the poll data?  What feedback are you going to send to Making Fun?

Or is the beholder Donald X?  Or Jay Tummelson?  Or are we all just allowed our own interpretation of what should be done as a result of the poll?

Is the beholder a floating many-eyed extraplanar monstrosity that will kill us all with its eye-rays?  Can we sic it on Making Fun?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »

Comforting thought of the day: it looks like MF's forums performed daylight savings in reverse; it's now 2 hours ahead of my local time.  Previously it was exactly on my local time.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 04:24:10 pm »
+3

That makes them officially worse than a broken clock.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 08:34:59 pm »

Comforting thought of the day: it looks like MF's forums performed daylight savings in reverse; it's now 2 hours ahead of my local time.  Previously it was exactly on my local time.

Maybe the forum is hosted in the Southern hemisphere?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 08:40:02 pm »
+1

Maybe next time there could be an option "others can't use it at all" for those for whom the biggest problem is not that _they_ can't play it, but that they know there are other people who can't.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:34:07 am by blueblimp »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 08:53:37 am »
+3

Is the beholder a floating many-eyed extraplanar monstrosity that will kill us all with its eye-rays?  Can we sic it on Making Fun?

Beholders are aberrations, not outsiders. They're native to the prime material, man!

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 01:37:52 pm »

Also on debian I use previous version as this one crashes at startup.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.818 seconds with 20 queries.