Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is having a plan B a good idea?  (Read 1645 times)

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Is having a plan B a good idea?
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:14:06 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/12/game-20120112-130012-f53411ee.html

Colony, Crossroads, Envoy, Herbalist, Hoard, Mandarin, Mint, Platinum, Rabble, Thief, Wharf, and Workshop

I opened Silver / Silver, planing to go heavy Wharf plus a few Crossroads.
Unfortunately I drew $4 on both turns 3 & 4, I didn't think I could win the mirror at this point.
Was I correct to change plans and go for Envoy BM instead?

Also, did I buy too many hoards?
Should my Turn 14 colony be a Provence, in an attempt to end the game asap?
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

vulturesrow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Is having a plan B a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:49:26 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/12/game-20120112-130012-f53411ee.html

Colony, Crossroads, Envoy, Herbalist, Hoard, Mandarin, Mint, Platinum, Rabble, Thief, Wharf, and Workshop

I opened Silver / Silver, planing to go heavy Wharf plus a few Crossroads.
Unfortunately I drew $4 on both turns 3 & 4, I didn't think I could win the mirror at this point.
Was I correct to change plans and go for Envoy BM instead?

Also, did I buy too many hoards?

Without looking at the game (which Im too inexperienced to offer quality feedback on) the answer is "it depends." That's one of the skills in games of this nature that separates the best from the rest; the ability to look at whats going on, accurately asses whether or not changing your plan mid-stride is feasible and achievable and if not whether to swing for the fences or just keep pushing with what you have. There is really no good answer. I wish I could offer more advice on the play of your specific hand and hopefully someone will weigh in.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 10:49:51 pm »

I often lose by not considering the bad draws. It's easy to say you're unlucky but a oood rethink can get you out of the hole. Having plan B ready before you start A? Well it's nice but I certainly wouldn't want to hold up play trying to think through all the unlikely variations.

In that game it's probably worth trying to put together the wharf drawing engine but with an extra envoy thrown in. I don't see it being a bad mix.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:54:18 pm »

Judging by how the game went, I don't think this would have worked. If you bought a Province instead of a Colony, the game would have ended 1 turn sooner, and you would have had 10 fewer points. Your opponent would not have been able to buy Colony + Duchy on his last turn, and he would have had 13 fewer points. Assuming everything else played out exactly the same, you still would have lost by a margin of 2 VP.

Obviously, it doesn't actually work out that way, since subtle things can affect buy decisions and so on. But what's to say that your opponent wouldn't grab a few more Provinces along the way just to make the game come to an end faster? His deck was overall stronger than yours for pretty much the entire game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.