Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Exercise of thought about a Kind Witch.  (Read 2783 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
Exercise of thought about a Kind Witch.
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:38:29 pm »
+3

This might be one for the RBCI thread, but Deadlock's post in the contest thread got me thinking (duck!):
Do I win the contest?

Tailor
$0 Reaction
When another player plays an Attack Card, you may set this aside.

What if a curser let other players get rid of curses?

Kind Witch
?!?
Every other player gains a Curse and may trash a Curse from their hand.

What would you put as cost and additional effects to make the attack kinda balanced and fun?
The best I could conjure was Lab's effect (2cards 1action) at 5, but I'm not sure about how that would compare with Lab.
Would you ever stop playing it to avoid helping your opponent (after the curses are empty, but before they trash away their curses); or change significantly your buy pattern compared to Lab? Because I fear it's just too similar to Lab to be worth making.
How would you make such a card work, if it can work at all?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Exercise of thought about a Kind Witch.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:40:56 pm »
+2

I like the general idea, but as a cheap (≤$4) card. So +2 Cards/+1 Action is out, but maybe some other bonus that includes +1 Action could be fine.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 12:43:03 pm »
+3

That effect with a Lab effect sounds like it would be WAY stronger than Laboratory. Letting them trash a Curse from hand isn't a benefit to your opponents if the same card is the one that gave them the Curse in the first place. They're still getting hurt by the Curses, just not as much. I mean yes, it would be better to play a Lab than to play Kind Witch after Curses are gone, but that doesn't really stop this from being way stronger than Lab as a whole.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 06:58:55 pm »
+1

Interesting. If this card is non-terminal at all, you have to think about how it will accelerate the game, since you will likely distribute and trash a large number of curses per round. If you make the card Lab-y, you have to be cautious about the strength of the Attack, because people will get the card just for the Lab.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:49:49 pm »
+1

Also fun combo: Kind Witch in a game with Mountebank. Especially if Kind Witch is non-terminal.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:29:54 pm »
+5

Which kind of Kind Witch is best for which kind of witchkind?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:43:42 pm »
+2

If two witches were watching two watches, which witch would watch which watch?

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 05:43:30 am »
+3

Still quite similar to Lab, but I reckon it might not be overall stronger than Lab if you made it let people trash anything:
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player gains a Curse and may trash a card from their hand.

Dunno, still seems pretty strong.  I think I prefer it as is but with different vanilla bonuses.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 04:21:57 pm »

But I've never heard of a beautiful witch before!

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 04:32:14 pm »

This might be one for the RBCI thread, but Deadlock's post in the contest thread got me thinking (duck!):
Do I win the contest?

Tailor
$0 Reaction
When another player plays an Attack Card, you may set this aside.

What if a curser let other players get rid of curses?

Kind Witch
?!?
Every other player gains a Curse and may trash a Curse from their hand.

What would you put as cost and additional effects to make the attack kinda balanced and fun?
The best I could conjure was Lab's effect (2cards 1action) at 5, but I'm not sure about how that would compare with Lab.
Would you ever stop playing it to avoid helping your opponent (after the curses are empty, but before they trash away their curses); or change significantly your buy pattern compared to Lab? Because I fear it's just too similar to Lab to be worth making.
How would you make such a card work, if it can work at all?
Hard to say. As far as I understand the card it hurts for a while as players still suffer from drawing dead cards. Sure, most of them might get trashed eventually but even if every Curse only cycles once through your deck and then gets trashed it is something like a delayed handsize attack.
So if you just use a vanilla bonuses for the rest of the card my totally uneducated guess is that it has to be 1$ more expensive. Not to mention the problem of cantrip attacks, i.e. if you add Kind Witch upon a vanilla village it might very well turn out to be too strong for 4.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 04:33:49 pm »

Still quite similar to Lab, but I reckon it might not be overall stronger than Lab if you made it let people trash anything:
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player gains a Curse and may trash a card from their hand.

Dunno, still seems pretty strong.  I think I prefer it as is but with different vanilla bonuses.

It is interesting but it seems way too helpful for your opponent. You're substituting their Estates and maybe a few irrelevant Coppers with Curses now, in exchange for free trashing later (and still quite early in the game if we take the average Familiar game as a model for Curse depletion - which is admittedly a bad model here). I think I'd go with Lab most of the time.
I'm still thinking about this, will come back when I get some ideas that look ok.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 05:25:59 pm »

This Lab version is probably a strong 6 in kingdoms without other Cursers and a normal/weak 6 in kingdoms with other Cursers.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 21 queries.