Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Would you be interested in some form of moderated discussion on F.DS?  (Read 15744 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Would you be interested in some form of moderated discussion on F.DS?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 04:36:09 pm »
+12

You know sometimes folks lament that the quality of Dominion-related discussion has gone downhill on f.DS, but I wonder if a large part of that is that, as you get better at the game, less and less of the discussion is useful to you. I mean a newbie can get all sorts of value out of strategy ideas that we old hands take for granted. So those who have been here awhile are getting fewer strategy-enhancing tips per day and perceive it as a degradation of quality.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 06:23:27 pm »
+11

You know sometimes folks lament that the quality of Dominion-related discussion has gone downhill on f.DS, but I wonder if a large part of that is that, as you get better at the game, less and less of the discussion is useful to you. I mean a newbie can get all sorts of value out of strategy ideas that we old hands take for granted. So those who have been here awhile are getting fewer strategy-enhancing tips per day and perceive it as a degradation of quality.

Sure, but what's causing the decline in civility?!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 11:55:37 pm »
+3

Lack of yo momma jokes
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 03:47:59 am »
+1

Yeah as the game gets older there's less to say, and more of the remaining skill is nuanced things you can't teach in a post like, "gais try this double Ambassador opening trust me it's good".

That leaves the remainder of Dominion related energy spent on discussing the online implementation, and since AdamH is in a minority group with his opinion on that stuff he's not gonna be having a good time around here.  It's not fun to hold a minority opinion, usually.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 09:53:02 am »

yea, things are kind of in a lull now because we've gotten a better read on the guilds cards (look at how much they've jumped/fallen in the card rankings this year) and adventures isn't online yet.  i suspect adam will be a happier camper once the latter happens and we have more actual game stuff to talk about again

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 10:14:51 am »
+4

People perceiving antagonism where it wasn't intended, being upset, then retaliating. Rinse and repeat indefinitely.

One of the principles Wikipedia users to get people to stop fighting about trivial bullshit is an Assume Good Faith policy, and I think that's a good attitude that posters should carry in to this forum too. Treat each other as if everyone is just trying to help and contribute; even if they're not what's the good in being a snarky asshole back to them?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 08:35:36 pm »
+1

People perceiving antagonism where it wasn't intended, being upset, then retaliating. Rinse and repeat indefinitely.

One of the principles Wikipedia users to get people to stop fighting about trivial bullshit is an Assume Good Faith policy, and I think that's a good attitude that posters should carry in to this forum too. Treat each other as if everyone is just trying to help and contribute; even if they're not what's the good in being a snarky asshole back to them?
I don't think Kirian was serious.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 09:07:24 pm »
+19

That's the true sign that f.DS is on a downward spiral. When folks don't appreciate a good decline of civility reference.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »

That's the true sign that f.DS is on a downward spiral. When folks don't appreciate a good decline of civility reference.

PEOPLE ARE TOO GODDAMN POLITE NOWADAYS

HARRUMPH
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 10:15:44 am »

I guess that's what I get for assuming good faith :P

In all seriousness I have no idea what is being referenced.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 11:17:31 am »
+7

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=64.0

Whoa, that's the 64th thread on f.DS. For reference, this is thread #14214.

EDIT: Wow, I joined this forum one day after it was founded (or the day after theory made his first public post anyhow). I'm not sure I realized that until just now.

EDIT: Huh, looks like michaeljb, Kirian, WanderingWinder, shark_bait, and Geronimoo are also old guard. Man, my memory is awful!

Also I just found out there are new posts on the Dominion Strategy blog! Today is full of new discoveries. Yesterday, too. Did you know that Hobby Japan makes Etrian Odyssey and Nippon Ichi (Disgaea)-themed Dominion sleeves?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:26:11 am by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 11:47:11 am »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=64.0

Whoa, that's the 64th thread on f.DS. For reference, this is thread #14214.

EDIT: Wow, I joined this forum one day after it was founded (or the day after theory made his first public post anyhow). I'm not sure I realized that until just now.

EDIT: Huh, looks like michaeljb, Kirian, WanderingWinder, shark_bait, and Geronimoo are also old guard. Man, my memory is awful!

Also I just found out there are new posts on the Dominion Strategy blog! Today is full of new discoveries. Yesterday, too. Did you know that Hobby Japan makes Etrian Odyssey and Nippon Ichi (Disgaea)-themed Dominion sleeves?

I know I was posting around the time of that thread, but my posts are limited to 250 pages, so those only go back to November.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 11:50:28 am »
+1

Maybe we should have a [civility] tag to indicate only civil discussions in the thread?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 09:26:01 pm »
+1

Maybe we should have a [civility] tag to indicate only civil discussions in the thread?

I'm 100% down for that.

As long as I'm final arbiter on what's civil and what's not.

Minor stipulation, but as I said, I'm 100% down for controlling what people can and can't say when it's clearly for the greater good.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:06:54 pm by popsofctown »

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2015, 02:37:18 pm »
+2

Also I just found out there are new posts on the Dominion Strategy blog! Today is full of new discoveries. Yesterday, too.

Wait, there's a blog??
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2015, 04:56:09 pm »
+1

Do I get a special shield?  If anyone has photoshop skills and wants to make a "Bruce the shark carrying the dominion VP shield" image that would be pretty sweet. 

I'll give lots of +1's as motivation.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2015, 05:11:28 pm »
+3

Do I get a special shield?  If anyone has photoshop skills and wants to make a "Bruce the shark carrying the dominion VP shield" image that would be pretty sweet. 

I'll give lots of +1's as motivation.

I can't find a good source image for "carrying", but here's Bruce wanting to devour VP.  Luckily, VP aren't fish so they could be food.

Edit: things didn't look quite centered.  They actually still don't, depending on what you're looking at... Bruce's face is not quite symmetrical.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:15:37 pm by eHalcyon »

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2015, 05:31:07 pm »

I just realized after the fact that my request came on my 1000'd post.  I think I might need to make that my avatar for celebration.  :)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

nate_w

• Navigator
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 11:03:03 pm »
+2

So it seems people here don't want this to happen. I don't agree with this, I don't think any of the reasons for not even trying it hold any water at all, but it seems that people would rather be able to troll and make their jokes at the expense of actual discussions about Dominion and my desires are not enough to make them change their minds.

So I'm giving up on this. It's been a completely miserable experience for me trying to make this happen and I don't want that anymore. I had previously said that I would probably stop posting here if this couldn't be a reality, but theory added a really cool ignore feature that has been just great for me so far so I suppose I'll see how things go with it. I will also not be afraid to just peace out of threads that have gone off-topic, I did that a couple of times already today and it didn't feel all that bad.

I'll say thanks again to all of the people who had helpful comments or ideas or who sent me supportive PMs (some who even disagreed with me!) There are still some really good people around here and I think you may be surprised to see that their number of posts and respect is not as high as one might think they would be. Like, seriously, every one of Qvist's posts about the cards lists should be filling up the messages of the week but that's just my opinion. Oh well.

I will do my best to learn what I can from this experience and try to find the right level of involvement in this community. Some of my ideas will be harder to make into a reality now but I'll still probably try them, just not here.

So, not to try to bring this discussion back on topic or anything, and maybe I've missed some of the history of this effort, being a semi-active f.dser, but I think the problem is that you might be longing for a lost halcyon that may not be possible to revive.

I think the peak of this community (before I was involved) was people discovering the game together, exploring it's flavors, testing new ideas. But most of the core of dominion strategy has been pretty hashed out. The last really interesting strategy discussion I remember seeing here was the Haggler purchase you made that many people panned that I was pretty ok with. Think about how that went: there was a sense of "this has already been settled- x is right, y is wrong." 

I think most people here are maybe ok with being past the point of trying to spend lots of time grappling with growing, largely because they have the game pretty figured out or at least figured out enough for them to be happy. And now the forum is a place to enjoy discussing a game that everyone on here enjoys and has as a common point of reference. Of COURSE it's a breeding ground for jokes - there's history and common interest.

I think it's the trade off you get when you have a bunch of experienced players who have discussed this stuff forever.  You can try to get what you want here or just port over to the reddit community which is small and on topic and mostly made up of people who just think wrong things about dominion and how it's played. But they are still growing and interested in developing. Trade offs.

My vote would be go for it man. Who cares if some people aren't interested?  You make a thread. You moderate it. If people end up liking it it will thrive. If people don't it won't. 

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2015, 09:05:35 pm »
+3

see, i think there's still a lot more to be explored, but it's real nitty-gritty high-level stuff that maybe even people on here don't care about so much?  the game reports/help subforums lend themselves best to good discussion, i find; i think this community made a mistake focusing so much on card articles for years, as specific boards really bring out the best from us.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.