Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Seasonal Starbucks drinks  (Read 5274 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Seasonal Starbucks drinks
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:04:16 am »

It might be just me, but isn't the eggnog latte just incredible?  I also love the chestnut praline latte and the pumpkin spice latte.  I really think the seasonal drinks should be offered year round.  But then, I would be spending even more money than I already do.

I should probably come up with some cost-effective way to enjoy these drinks and such without feeding the beast that is Starbucks, but it is just so good....and so convenient....
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
Re: Seasonal Starbucks drinks
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:17:07 am »

I'm tired of Pumpkin Spice Fucking Everything.  I mean, I get that Starbucks has a good thing there, but did everyone and their sister have to copy it?

I don't drink coffee, so I can't comment on any of the rest...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 06:42:35 am »

The coffee at Starbucks is fine, but the ingredients are disturbing if you care about your health at all.
Did I mention it's criminally overpriced?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 07:18:22 am »
+1

The coffee at Starbucks is fine, but the ingredients are disturbing if you care about your health at all.

This is one of those fun urban myths that really doesn't have much basis in fact. Starbucks drinks are no different health wise than any other. To the extent that sugar / caffeine are "bad for you" mostly. You definitely make worse health decisions on a daily basis that you don't care about at all.

Did I mention it's criminally overpriced?

Hey, people are willing to pay it, whatever. It's not that much more than other local coffee shops.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:45:51 am »
+2

Hey, people are willing to pay it, whatever. It's not that much more than other local coffee shops.

Not that this is a very helpful opinion, but I'd say all coffee shops are criminally and presumably inherently overpriced.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:27:02 am »
+1

Not that this is a very helpful opinion, but I'd say all coffee shops are criminally and presumably inherently overpriced.

The regional coffee shop where we used to have game nights before I moved across the country, which had been a local coffee shop when I was in high school, sold plain black coffee for like a buck for 20 oz, with cream and sugar free.  No worse than any other reataurant.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 07:39:46 am »

I'm not really a coffee guy, I'm more of a tea guy. Starbucks tea is nasty and it really doesn't help that they use low-quality water when you order it in the store (and before you ask, yes I have tried Tazo™ teas made with ærated Dasani™ like I use with the rest of my teas and I still don't like Tazo™). But this isn't about tea, I guess, is it? Well I guess I don't know of any seasonal Starbucks teas.

My wife and I tried the PSL this year for the first time. It was extremely mediocre. Like, it wasn't bad, but there are much better things out there. OTOH, my wife LOVES the creme brulee latte and has been counting down the days until she can get it.

But then we went to a local coffee shop near Purdue this weekend (Greyhouse, for the curious) and they had a non-seasonal creme brulee latte. It was really, really good. It's been a while since I had the Starbucks one but this one was better than what I remember the Starbucks one being.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:49:50 am »
+1

I got a venti peppermint Mocha the other day; it was about $6.20 (hot, not iced).  I was kind of shocked.

I think Starbucks tea is fine.. not their sugary tea-like drinks, but the straightup hot water and tea bag.  I'm pretty sure here (NYC) it's Teavana, not Tazo.

Also, I went to undergrad in Indiana, close to Purdue.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »

I think Starbucks tea is fine.. not their sugary tea-like drinks, but the straightup hot water and tea bag.

fine

tea bag

Uh...
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 12:55:53 pm »

I don't get it.  They make "tea latte" type of things, but you can also order normal tea.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:39 pm »

I don't get it.  They make "tea latte" type of things, but you can also order normal tea.

And then you apparently get hot water and a tea bag.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 01:02:56 pm »
+1

And then you apparently get hot water and a tea bag.

Yes, they toss the bag at your face and then dump boiling water over your head.  It's a great all-around experience.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 01:17:48 pm »

I think Starbucks tea is fine.. not their sugary tea-like drinks, but the straightup hot water and tea bag.

fine

tea bag

Uh...

A lot of tea bags are fine. Not great, just fine. Twinnings makes some decent stuff for example. And if you're adding tons of milk/sugar, the quality of tea doesn't matter nearly as much. But it's true that if you've only ever had tea from a bag, you haven't really had the real experience.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 01:47:27 pm »

It's not common to get loose-leaf tea in America. 

But actually, why does it matter?  Doesn't the bag just... hold the leaves?  Does it distort the flavor?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 01:55:45 pm »
+1

But actually, why does it matter?  Doesn't the bag just... hold the leaves?  Does it distort the flavor?

I can only assume that we're intentionally conflating the word "tea bag" with its non-potable counterpart phrase, in order to make fun of someone who likes "tea bags."  It's funny, you see, because it involves genitalia.

And now the joke is explained and funnier.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 01:59:40 pm »

I'm not convinced that was actually the joke.  I can equally see it being a loose-leaf master race kind of thing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 02:10:37 pm »

The bag itself doesn't do anything, but the leaves that come in tea bags are crushed.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 02:11:05 pm »

You'd be crushed, too, if someone put you in a bag.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 02:36:24 pm »
+2

loose leaf isn't common, but it's plenty easy to get if you care to look. Tea leaves expand when they steep, releasing their flavors. Tea in a bag doesn't have room to expand, so instead of full leaves, the tea is either crushed into finer particles, or they use the residual crushed byproduct from processing. The tea in bags is usually called dust or fannings. Tea dust has a high surface area to volume, and thus the tea oils dry up a lot faster, so the tea you get out of them is a bit ... stale? I guess thats the word. Also higher surface area leads to more tannins which makes tea dust a bit more bitter.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 02:42:05 pm »
+2

loose leaf isn't common, but it's plenty easy to get if you care to look. Tea leaves expand when they steep, releasing their flavors. Tea in a bag doesn't have room to expand, so instead of full leaves, the tea is either crushed into finer particles, or they use the residual crushed byproduct from processing. The tea in bags is usually called dust or fannings. Tea dust has a high surface area to volume, and thus the tea oils dry up a lot faster, so the tea you get out of them is a bit ... stale? I guess thats the word. Also higher surface area leads to more tannins which makes tea dust a bit more bitter.

F.DS: Your source for tea strategy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.