Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: $3 cards  (Read 64309 times)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: $3 cards
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2016, 06:36:57 pm »
+1

Loan also can't be drawn dead, so Smithy/Loan, Envoy/Loan, Masq/Loan, etc. are more attractive.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2016, 08:00:29 pm »

Forager usually gives a net coin of 0 to -1 -> Loan always gives a net coin of 1

When does Forager ever give a net coin of -1?  It usually gives a net coin of 0 (trashing an Estate before a Copper has been trashed, trashing a Copper, or trashing the first Silver/Gold).  It sometimes provides net 1 coin (trashing an Estate/Curse/Ruin after a Copper has been trashed, trashing a Loan or Quarry).  And, rarely, it provides more than 1 net coin (trashing a Potion, situations where multiple treasures are trashed).

Also unmentioned in your comparison is that Forager provides +buy, which is occasionally useful.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2016, 12:24:56 am »

I remember one game where I used Loan with Masquerade in a Cultist game. It was quite effective there I think.

So yeah Loan is good with terminal draw, say like Courtyard.

Courtyard is particularly good with Loan because it helps to ensure that Loan hits a Copper! While Scavenger can also do the same thing, the cards have negative synergy too because if you put a stronger card than Copper on top (and can't then draw it), playing Loan will skip it. Count already trashes, making the top-decking a copper function less needed, and Mandarin's probably a weak card in your Loan deck even counting the top-deck interaction.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2016, 11:11:56 am »

I've actually been growing to like Loan a lot more lately, in games where trashing is limited and I want my Coppers gone as soon as possible. Sometimes I even buy 2. It's nice early on in games with weak engines that also have Colony there and you're like "goddamnit I have to make this work".

The main trick to using it well is, buy as few other Treasure as possible as long as you can stand it. It's best opened without a Silver - think like Hermit / Loan or Jack / Loan or whatever.

Forager is, like, clearly better, because of the +Buy mostly, but I guess I understand why people don't like it sometimes? But it's an important Trasher.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2016, 12:10:06 pm »

I've actually been growing to like Loan a lot more lately, in games where trashing is limited and I want my Coppers gone as soon as possible. Sometimes I even buy 2. It's nice early on in games with weak engines that also have Colony there and you're like "goddamnit I have to make this work".

The main trick to using it well is, buy as few other Treasure as possible as long as you can stand it. It's best opened without a Silver - think like Hermit / Loan or Jack / Loan or whatever.

Forager is, like, clearly better, because of the +Buy mostly, but I guess I understand why people don't like it sometimes? But it's an important Trasher.
jack and loan seem anti synergistic.
Forager's + buy isn't that important.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2016, 12:15:45 pm »

jack and loan seem anti synergistic.
Forager's + buy isn't that important.

Loan doesn't help much in Jack BM, but it does help with Jack-in-an-engine strategies where you barely want the Silver anyway. It makes your deck actively smaller and only really trips a lot after the third shuffle.

More than one time, I've bought Forager just for the +Buy, using Beggar or IGG or something to gain fuel for it in order to get multiple Province buys a turn. +Buy is scarce enough that its presence on a card makes it a relevant factor on enough boards to be worth mentioning.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2016, 01:07:50 pm »

I think gkrieg13 put it best: It's great when spiking $5 early isn't important, and you don't want any Treasures (and you don't plan on getting any later).  This is pretty rare, which is maybe why people rank it low, but it happens.

Loan is great especially when spiking $5 early is important (but not absolutely necessary) while trashing early is also important. That one coin that it gives is huge compared to something like Lookout or Forager. A Loan/Silver opening is already fairly likely to hit $5.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.