Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Annotated game logs vs game videos?  (Read 2109 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Annotated game logs vs game videos?
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:07:12 pm »
+4

I am sure many of us enjoy WW's videos, but I am wondering how they would compare to textually annotated game logs.

Imagine having an iso log where you keep pressing a key to see the game get played turn by turn, and textual comments made during the video show at the appropriate times.  Obviously, the display quality of the text would be much better, and you can see way more of the game history.  Likewise, there are no annoying pauses when opponents are making long decisions, and there is a convenient place to anchor discussion (turn 2 discussion occurs right on turn 2).

On the other hand, the logs from iso are limited, you don't get to see as much in the logs as you do during the game (maybe the official version will fix this?  fingers crossed).  We certainly wouldn't get the stream of consciousness thing going on, which could be a loss.  And it's more work, I would still need to write the software, and transcribing the videos would take some work. 

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Annotated game logs vs game videos?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »
+1

One advantage to videos is that it can be a passive experience.  The need to participate in the annotated game might be immersive, but it could also be annoying.

An alternative is to record videos without commentary, and then re-record afterwards with the commentary.  This allows you to speak more confidently and fill up time more naturally than when you do it live.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »
+1

I generally prefer textual stuff because it's easier to take things at your own pace, speeding through the boring stuff and taking your time looking at the more interesting stuff. It's also easier to jump back in time, etc.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »
+1

I agree with theory's alternative. However, some viewers will prefer the live viewing because they can really see how the top players think, not just how they think they should've thought.

Example: WW's video of fail cartog/tunnel switch.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.