Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: League of Explorers Discussion  (Read 47088 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: League of Explorers Discussion
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2015, 06:14:59 pm »

Yeah, I remember single Argus lists, probably doable. You can stuck in a Belcher. You can probably swap Darkbomb for a Chow or another removal, but Darkbomb gives you reach. Soulfire maybe? Bane of Doom, Soul Siphon?

Sense demons, heh, interesting choice :D I like my doomguard too much, tho. If it only costed 2 ...

One bird could go too. It's not that often that I am activating Watchers, tho getting to activate watcher (or silence something else earlygame) and still be able to deal with sylvanas (which can screw handlock big time) is great.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:18:49 pm by Grujah »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2015, 06:39:52 pm »

Few words on peddler:

Unless non-aggro decks it is usually worse than using Hero Power. It is preferable to Hero Power early vs heavy aggro, as 2/2 can deal with most minions (stupid minibot) and you can usually get a decent 1 drop (there are decent neutrals and quite a few decent warlock ones) or a Mortal Coil or Soulfire. Thing is against aggro, esp hunter, a random 1 drop is going to trade with most of their shit too.
Later it is something to play when you tap and still have mana left.

One notable use is going second. As any warlock player knows, if you start second, you cannot go turn 2 tap, turn 3 tap without burning a card. So you can either not tap and just pass, play a random Watcher/Darkbomb (which makes it impossible for turn 4 Giant) or coin out a Drake.
Now, you can turn 2 tap, turn 3 Peddler, and still be able to play giant turn 4, which is kinda neat.
Or best case scenario, T2 tap, T3 Peddler/Coil. T4 Giant.

Now I make it sound quite good, but as I said, it is often worse than tap, tho all-in-all it ain't the worst.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:45:53 pm by Grujah »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2015, 06:58:53 pm »

Yeah, I remember single Argus lists, probably doable. You can stuck in a Belcher. You can probably swap Darkbomb for a Chow or another removal, but Darkbomb gives you reach. Soulfire maybe? Bane of Doom, Soul Siphon?

Sense demons, heh, interesting choice :D I like my doomguard too much, tho. If it only costed 2 ...

One bird could go too. It's not that often that I am activating Watchers, tho getting to activate watcher (or silence something else earlygame) and still be able to deal with sylvanas (which can screw handlock big time) is great.
Overall it sounds like you like to knock your opponent down to zero before super super late game, based on your desire for  double Darkbomb and Doomguard.  I prefer the variants that don't actually end the game until turn 20 or something.  The latter benefits from Reno more, and is more comfortable cutting lots of dupes.  It's possible they both benefit from Reno enough to use him, perhaps. 

If you're doing the version of handlock that gets "early" kills, you definitely want to leave more dupes in so your deck is fast in consistent.  And just played Reno if he happens to be active.  If he's not, it shouldn't be such a big deal, because you can just try to melt face before you die and before you run out of cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2015, 07:00:25 pm »
+1

Does anyone know if Reno interacts "correctly" with Beneath the Grounds, Iron Juggernaut, Gang Up, and Forgotten Torch?  Anyone want to test whether he does?

Hell, with Blizzard, I'm not sure I can be confident he interacts correctly with Deathlord :(

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2015, 07:22:26 pm »

Overall it sounds like you like to knock your opponent down to zero before super super late game, based on your desire for  double Darkbomb and Doomguard.  I prefer the variants that don't actually end the game until turn 20 or something.  The latter benefits from Reno more, and is more comfortable cutting lots of dupes.  It's possible they both benefit from Reno enough to use him, perhaps. 

Yeah, faster style lock does benefit less from Reno. I am still not sure if he is actually worth it.

I am going with Soulfire and Belcher.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 05:31:36 am by Grujah »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2015, 07:43:14 pm »
+1

So far after testing Reno, Forgotten Torch, and Jeweled Scarab, I have been most impressed with Jewelled Scarab.

Reno is good, and has that whoa wow effect, but in handlock people are already playing around Moltens because they already know about Molten Shields Up and Molten Back From the Junk Heap so they're already playing around your super secret tech.  The archetypes that frequently were forced to go with the "knock him down to 4 and pray he doesn't have moltens or enough support" seem to be less prevalent right now.  Reno might be somewhat viable in that deck, but if he is, he is borderline, not a supplier of a lot more power for the archetype.

Forgotten Torch had the appeal of being the 6th burn spell for an aggressive mechmage that wants to finish the game after losing board control from an aggressive start.  Unfortunately Mechmage is awful right now, the only deck it can beat is maybe Druid.  And Mechmage is forced to do a poor imitation of the opponent and extend into the long game more to adapt to its bad matchups right now, playing Dr. Boom to try to win against Paladin by drawing one of your Doctors while he draws none of his 3 (lol), running Piloted Sky Golem to try to continue going toe to toe with fat late game threats from a dragon priest that's not going to give you an early kill, and running Antonidas for similar reasons.  So running the 5th and 6th burn spells don't help with that.. if anything, it's a wonder Frostbolt can stay in.

Tempomage can't possibly care about the Torch at all.  With Spellslinger and Mechanical Yeti supplying mana outlets to your hand in addition to the draw you are already running, you'll never need to play a card that mana inefficient.

Freezemage might be pretty decent right now, but it probably doesn't need the Torch.  I couldn't seem to play it on my opponent's face before playing Alex because that would be pointless, and I didn't encounter a lot of board states where I could use it as a removal and feel ok about the amount of damage I would be taking that turn.  Nobody plays 4/3's or 3/3's you want to kill.

Scarab's been good to me though.  Since King's Elek was printed in TGT and Flare was rescuscittated in TGT, Midhunter has had plenty of cards in hand a lot of the time, so you'd think Hunter wouldn't need more and Scarab wouldn't be good.  But the proliferation of these ways to draw cards lets Hunter run lots of two drops with impunity right now.  The drawback to spamming 2 drops is supposed to be that you'll run out of cards, but between Webspinner, King's Elekk, and Flare, and Tracking's even available, that's not really a concern.  So if you cram the Scarab into a list that already has lots of 2 drops, you won't have to play him on turn 2 if you draw him early, you'll probably have a 2/3/4 curve already.  So just leave him in your hand.  But if you DO have a troublesome 2/2/4 curve in your hand, you can play him, playing him is almost certainly better than playing a 2 drop on turn 2 and being forced to play a 2 drop turn 3.  The only situation he's gonna be bad is if you draw a 3/4/5 curve, you cut a croc for him, it turned out he was your only turn 2 play, and look you didn't even need help finding a 3 drop.  But that's very unlikely because Hunters can get away with jamming their lists with 2 drops right now as I mentioned.
I still would only run 1.  It is a special effect you only expect to need about once per game.  But I think it's a nifty card.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2015, 12:21:07 pm »

What are people's thoughts on Hats? It's kinda like having an extra hero power that you can use for combos because it's a spell/deathrattler. I've been playing around with it, but haven't done better than 50%ish win rates.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2015, 12:45:54 pm »

So I'm definitely going to get through Naxxramas first (so many of those cards are key cards to strategies - Mad Scientist, Baron Rivendare, Voidcaller, Death's Bite - whereas League of Explorers cards so far seem to just be, at best, "neat"), but should I go through Blackrock or League next?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2015, 01:10:29 pm »

I'd get the first wing of BRM and then start LoE. Thaurissian is still a really important card, and Quick Shot is really good. However, unless you want to play Dragon decks, Imp Gang Boss and Flame Waker are the only cards you really want from BRM and they are class specific, so if you play those classes they're worth it, but if you don't I'd just start on LoE after that. Brann looks like he's going to be pretty strong and I suspect there's going to be some cool decks built around some of these cards that have unique effects.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »
+1

Due to some fabulously undocumented code, class cards are more likely than neutrals off scarab, so Scarab can be considered as much of a class staple as Imp Gang Boss or Flamewaker anyway for Shaman.  At least that's what people are saying.  Shaman's 3 mana spread is really good, Lava Burst, Feral Spirits, Lightning Storm, Unbound Elemental, Lightning Storm, Power Mace, only risk is Far Sight that I can think of.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2015, 03:40:08 pm »

I don't disbelieve you, but can you link your source? I'm curious to read how someone found out about that.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2015, 04:43:34 pm »

I was jokingly telling someone on the forums that I run scarab for the .000067% chance of getting Huffer or Misha, but now that chance is pretty legit.

The nice thing about Hunter is that almost any 3 drop is right, and while he doesn't have a ton of class 3 drops, he doesn't have any garbage class 3 drops cluttering up the discover (like I'm sure mage does.)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2015, 04:45:56 pm »
+1

https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/666359351980920832

Officially confirmed and clarified now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:48:35 pm by Watno »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »

Wow, that makes Scarab way better. Strong 3s are available in most classes.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2015, 05:44:13 pm »

I don't know if I should be upset that Midrange paladin can practically tutor Muster for Battle and Aldor Peacekeeper, or be upset the deck is so powerful and tight it doesn't even care.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2015, 06:13:02 pm »

I don't know if I should be upset that Midrange paladin can practically tutor Muster for Battle and Aldor Peacekeeper, or be upset the deck is so powerful and tight it doesn't even care.

I think it's more effective for other classes than Paladin. Minibot and knife juggler are way better, and if you whiff and get an average 3 drop that hurts.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2015, 07:08:16 pm »

or be upset the deck is so powerful and tight it doesn't even care.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2015, 09:10:24 am »

So, I've switched over to Highlander Warlock with great success. I think I started with 10-0 streak before I started losing a bit, went up quite a few ranks.
Deck is pretty much good cards only Warlock, being able to crush aggro at any time with Reno is great, all other heals keep you well till you can so. You often have to go with what your hand dictates (fortunately tapping helps), so sometimes it gets a bit awkward but is pretty strong overall. Secret Paladin is the worst matchup perhaps.
 Here are a few decklists:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3sypy4/hit_legend_with_renolock_the_new_most_op_deck_in/
http://bmkgaming.com/finding-reno-renolock

I play my own mashup: (I do not have gang boss or Demonfire :( ):

Mortal Coil
Power Overwhelming
Abusive Sargent (I seem to have dropped the egg and not this by mistake need to fix that lol)
Zombie Chow
Darkbomb
Dark Peddler
Owl
Sunfury Protector
BGH
Deathlord
Hellfire
Implosion
Shadowflame
Argus
Twilight Drake
Voidcaller
Funnel Cakes
Bane of Doom
Antique Healbot
Doomguard
Belcher
Emperor
Reno jackson
Dr 7
Twisting Nether
Mal'Ganis
Mountain Gaint
Molten Giant

:D

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2015, 09:59:47 am »

If three drops are a problem for you, is Jeweled Scarab worth considering?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2015, 10:08:35 am »

Hmm.. I am low on 3s, I'll give it a go. Good thing is that I can always find a cut somewhere. :P

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2015, 07:46:14 pm »

Heh, I started fooling around with a Highlander Warlock deck myself. I find Reno's effect to be quite powerful when it goes off. Trouble is you have to draw him if you're relying on his effect, but you can be quite aggressive with the health loss if you do draw him. It's a fun deckstyle to play.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2015, 09:15:51 pm »

Yeah, I find in this deck that tapping is probably your strongest weapon - you have a tool for nearly anything you just need to find it in time.

Also, after losing two straight games in a row to my Deathlord summoning a Tirion, I did -1 deathlord +1MCTech.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:28:17 pm by Grujah »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2015, 09:26:24 pm »

Yeah, I find in this deck that tapping is probably your strongest weapon - you have a tool for nearly anything you just need to find it in time.
Sadly I don't have any Mountain Giants. I gave Sea Giant a go and it seemed alright as a substitute.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2015, 09:27:29 pm »

Frost giant would be a fun card to try :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.