Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Opening poor house / mint in this kingdom?  (Read 1887 times)

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
Opening poor house / mint in this kingdom?
« on: November 06, 2015, 09:25:01 am »

Code: [Select]
Transmute, Poor House, Storeroom, Swindler, Graverobber, Inn, Library, Merchant Guild, Mint, King's Court

Played this yesterday, opened 2/5. I decided to open poor house / mint, with the plan of graverobbering my mint into KC, and using KC/Inn to filter though to KC/Poor house + Merchant guild. The actual game log isn't that interesting, I make quite a few mistakes (including missing a crucial $5 in my hand, playing it as a $4) and eventually get there in the end. My opponent... well, I dunno. But I'm interested to hear if that opening makes sense with 2/5 on this board. There's no strong trash, which I think is a prerequisite for going for something like this.

http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151106/log.0.1446770594366.txt

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Opening poor house / mint in this kingdom?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 09:32:28 am »

I like the Poor House/Mint opening, but skipping Library all game is criminal; it's the only draw and pretty decent with a hand-size decreaser like Inn and disappearing coin.

You also greened waaaay too early. Keep building, get at least 6 King's Courts (not just 2!) if the game isn't close to over and go from there.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 09:40:20 am »
+2

I would like the Mint/Poor House opening a lot better if there was a $3-4 Village or something that could give you a coin (like Oasis, Tournament, Candlestick Maker). As it is you immediately have to start putting treasure back in your deck just to get to $5. Minting Copper turn 3 is a big mistake, you bought the Mint to kill those.

I think it's possible to delay the Mint here until you have added a few $5 and then get several treasures in hand with a Library draw. And with Graverobber you can buy Mint a few times to get rid of all the treasures.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 09:44:55 am »

It's especially nice to quickly get rid of the Coppers when Swindler is around (and it's hard to get rid of the Curses). You were really unlucky with him hitting your few Coppers that much.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 09:57:31 am »

Also this is one of few games where I would consider getting transmute as single potion cost card after mint/ph opening, you need gold to spike first 5 and 7. After that I would get storerooms, and library and kc for kc-poor house generating 12 coins.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 10:01:45 am »

I like the Poor House/Mint opening, but skipping Library all game is criminal; it's the only draw and pretty decent with a hand-size decreaser like Inn and disappearing coin.

You also greened waaaay too early. Keep building, get at least 6 King's Courts (not just 2!) if the game isn't close to over and go from there.

Yeah, I know I played this game like absolute trash. I was just curious about the opening, couldn't find any other game logs with the conditions met (KC, poor house, mint, TfB, no fast trash) and someone opened 5/2 to see if it was legitimate.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.229 seconds with 20 queries.