Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Lowering piles  (Read 15120 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Lowering piles
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:26:14 am »
+15

Question: under what circumstances would you lower piles?

Definitions: lowering piles means you buy cards for the mere sake of getting closer to a 3-pile. The cards you buy are not bad for you but not great either. Think Pearl Divers in a deck without Heralds. And lowering instead of emtying means you do not have a forced win right here.

Why do I ask? My plan is to write a strategy article about this very subject. But I don't really know how to go about it. My ideas about it are very short and simple and I'd be finished in like 3 sentences. But I think it deserves a whole lot more text because apparently this is a difficult subject with quite some misconceptions flying around. I hope you are willing to give your opinion on the matter in this thread. Regardless of whether I think that it's great advice or one of the misconceptions, it would help me a lot in writing the article. And who knows maybe in the end discussion itself will replace the article.
Join the Dominion League!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Lowering piles
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:47:17 am »
+2

I think the main thing about lowering piles is to think before you buy. One player once mentioned that this is a game about emptying piles whether provinces or three-piles. So, always remember that buying cards leads the game one-step closer to coming to an end.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:49:11 am »

First thing that comes to mind is that situation:

You might want to do that when you are behind and your only hope is that your opponent duds on the next turn so you could potentially steal a win.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:50:47 am »

I like to do this thing when I'm in the lead, and I'm sure this is one of the errors you have in mind, which is lowering piles just to make the game end sooner even if it causes some slight decrease in win %.

And I was going to write more about how I agree with you on general principle, but I have seen cases where you've made comments along these lines and I didn't think it applied in that case. Which is to say, deciding what "being in the lead" means exactly and making estimations for likelihood of dud hands over a number of future turns isn't always obvious. But I don't have time now!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:54:10 am by Mic Qsenoch »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:54:11 am »

I think this is really only something you're going to do if a) piles are lowering anyway, or at least one pile has already emptied and b) it looks like Provinces are going to be difficult to empty.  This is most often the case in curser/looter games, but can also happen in engine games with a contested part.  In these cases, you really have to be mindful of how much is left in each pile, and what your current score is.  If you're losing, you want to keep the piles up to make it harder for your opponent to end the game in their favor.

Of course this is mainly about pile emptying.  For pile lowering, I think the main card to look out for is Goons.  With Goons, I'm perfectly happy grabbing a bunch of Pearl Divers, because they're basically cheaper Great Halls (or better, depending on how many Goons I have in play). 

I dunno.  Really, the strategy for pile lowering is the same as for pile emptying - you're looking for the same conditions, you're just starting earlier.  In order for it work without a contested pile, you need some sort of +Buy or gainer.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 09:00:04 am »
+5

Buy cards so that you will be able to win with empty piles on the following turn but your opponent will not. This threat does have to be backed up with enough vp to force a win though.

A similar situation might be to squeeze down the supply piles so that if the opponent buys their ideal cards they will offer you a 3 pile ending next turn. If you can lock an opponent out of buying a card like city they might be short of +buys or +actions for the rest of the game. This sort of squeeze can sometimes lock out the mid cost vp cards as well.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:02:14 am by DG »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 09:01:39 am »
+1

I don't think Stef is talking about buying piles to win on your next turn though. He mentions lowering piles for the sake or lowering piles.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:07:47 am »

I don't think Stef is talking about buying piles to win on your next turn though. He mentions lowering piles for the sake or lowering piles.

Right.  Goons in particular likes doing that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:12:54 am »
+4

Obviously Stef is talking about lowering piles strategically, specifically about under what circumstances it benefits you and when it hurts. Lowering piles for the sake of lowering piles makes no sense unless you just like clicking some buttons.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 09:14:46 am »

In that case, let's talk about building vs closing. The first thing to look at will be how many times you will use your new cards if you decide to keep building. If there's only a 50-50 chance of playing them at all then building doesn't look so good. On the other hand, building may help you keep control over the important piles, typically the province pile, so that it doesn't actually matter whether the game closes sooner or later.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:38:06 am »

So here's an anecdote about a RL game between 2 not-very-good players.

I don't remember everything on the board, but the most important cards for the purpose of this story were Familiar and Port. I decided to skip Familiar because it was the only Potion cost card out and there were a couple of trashers. Well, very quickly I found myself with 10 curses in my deck. And the Ports ran out because we're both a couple of Village Idiots.

At this point, I was just about screwed. All it would have taken to leave me with a negative score would have been to aggressively clear out one pile. But my opponent didn't do this - she focused on buying Provinces as usual. That gave me a chance to clean out my deck, build up an economy, and out-Province her. This is the most obvious case I can think of where my victory owed more to her decisions than to mine.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • See you in the Outpost
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 09:46:57 am »

I don't remember everything on the board, but the most important cards for the purpose of this story were Familiar and Port. I decided to skip Familiar because it was the only Potion cost card out and there were a couple of trashers. Well, very quickly I found myself with 10 curses in my deck. And the Ports ran out because we're both a couple of Village Idiots.

At this point, I was just about screwed. All it would have taken to leave me with a negative score would have been to aggressively clear out one pile. But my opponent didn't do this - she focused on buying Provinces as usual. That gave me a chance to clean out my deck, build up an economy, and out-Province her. This is the most obvious case I can think of where my victory owed more to her decisions than to mine.

But in that case it probably would have been much safer for her to build more than to deplete the third pile. Given that you were able to overtake from the state of "10 curses in a deck", I suppose the board actually had enough components to continue building.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 11:51:35 am »
+3

This definitely needs an article. More generally, I'd love to read a general article about end-game control, which is a (relatively) poorly understood aspect of advanced Dominion strategy. (I wrote an article for new players along these lines maybe a year ago, but I'd like to see an article for intermediate/advanced players.)

Some trivial observations:
-you shouldn't do it if you're behind
-you shouldn't do it if it your opponent can possibly buy enough points to overcome your lead and complete your 3-pile attempt

Some less trivial observations:
-most of the time when you do it, it doesn't matter, because you only do it when neither of the "trivial observations" apply, and "games where you're ahead and your opponent's deck can't buy a bunch of cards" is a pretty similar set to "games you're going to win anyway."
-the most important time to do it when it really does matter, is if your opponent threatens to gain an insurmountable lead, but doesn't quite have the engine to do it yet. This happens sometimes when you play a money-type variant against an engine-type variant. In this situation, you're "ahead" on points but "behind" on deck-tempo, another concept I'd like to see an advanced strategy article about.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 12:02:59 pm »
+3

In this situation, you're "ahead" on points but "behind" on deck-tempo, another concept I'd like to see an advanced strategy article about.

In my mind at least, the deck quality (or chances of winning) is what I'm referring to by default when I talk about leads/behind/ahead. I usually will specify points if I'm talking about VP. I don't know if this is an important point of view to have, but it seems to me that lots of players still overvalue having their point counter be higher than their opponents at any stage of the game that isn't the end.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 12:07:20 pm »
+2

Why not?

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »

But in that case it probably would have been much safer for her to build more than to deplete the third pile. Given that you were able to overtake from the state of "10 curses in a deck", I suppose the board actually had enough components to continue building.

Why's that? I was able to recover not through my sheer brilliance but because she gave me the time to do it. A quick ending would have left her with 1 or 2 points (from estates she had not yet trashed) and me firmly in the negatives.

I mean there are other factors (she's my wife and playing Dominion is one of our favorite things, so making the game longer is worth it) but from a purely win or lose standpoint, she should have gone for the last pile.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »

Why not?

I agree to ehunt. In many cases you would just help your opponent in the lead to end the game more quickly with a win. In that situation you should get cards that help you to get the victory, don't just get them to lower the piles.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 12:31:40 pm »
+2

Why not?

I agree to ehunt. In many cases you would just help your opponent in the lead to end the game more quickly with a win. In that situation you should get cards that help you to get the victory, don't just get them to lower the piles.

It depends on what is meant by "behind" here, but in many cases the player who is behind only has a shot if their opponent duds out a turn in which case it can be the right move to lower piles hoping to sneak out a win after the dud turn.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 12:33:41 pm »

Why not?

It depends on what is meant by "behind" here, but in many cases the player who is behind only has a shot if their opponent duds out a turn in which case it can be the right move to lower piles hoping to sneak out a win after the dud turn.

yeah, I mean "behind" in the strict sense that your deck is worse and you have fewer points. And I guess even then it's not a no-brainer because of longshots along these lines.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 12:45:11 pm »

I think it's easy for not-expert players to lower piles too early, so I try and be really conservative about it - I lower piles when I'm winning by more than one "big turn" worth of points. Lots of times when I miss three pile opportunities this way though.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 12:46:52 pm »

Here you're specifically ask about lowering piles in situations that don't lead to a forced win this turn or the next. I imagine you'd have to calculate the odds that this will lead to a 3-pile ending before your opponent overtakes you or you overtaking your opponent and ending the game on the same turn during some future turn.

I don't know how much you can say about this topic besides "depends on the game state". What I can recommend is to carefully consider the maximum number of gains your opponents can have on their turn before deciding to try lowering piles. If their gaining power matches yours, lowering piles can totally backfire if you get a dud hand relative to your opponent. I think it's better to lower piles when you have higher gaining power than your opponent so that you can lower piles only to the extent that it benefits you exclusively.

Edit: I'll add that it's better to lower piles that your opponents need for their strategy, because then you can count on your opponents to help you empty the piles as they build their engine. Simple example is lowering the Village pile when your opponent's strategy needs them, even if your strategy can make do with only a few of them.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:53:12 pm by markusin »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1729
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 02:29:23 pm »

I actually recommend you don't call it "lowering piles" because I think this term is misleading, because it's not clear if you're specifically referring to the end-game tactic of (eventually) emptying piles, or if you're just talking about lowering piles in general.  Here are some examples of why I will want to lower/empty a pile, but I don't think they're what you're referring to by "lowering piles", right?
  • you want as many of a pile as possible (Minion, Herald, etc.)
  • upgrading Cities
  • denying your opponent a pile
  • getting access to a different Knight/Ruin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:32:29 pm by Dingan »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 03:02:43 pm »
+6

I want to know what jsh357 has to say, because I have never seen him fail to aggressively lower piles.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 03:06:48 pm »

I want to know what jsh357 has to say, because I have never seen him fail to aggressively lower piles.
Even when Messenger wasn't on the board?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 03:17:39 pm »
+1

I come from a long line of demolition experts. There is only one real objective in Dominion. I won't rest until every pile is gone.

I suppose a more serious response is: I am terrible at multiplayer games and often assume I can win games on a lead if I rush them. Sometimes it works; usually it doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:19:03 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 03:30:05 pm »
+1

To make good decisions about lowering piles I think you need to be able to track decks well too.  Knowing what your deck and your opponent's deck are capable of is pretty much the most important information you can use to decide which piles to lower, and by how much, and when.  At least it seems that way to me.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:31:06 pm by jaybeez »

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 03:41:31 pm »
+1

Another type of pile lowering that doesn't gain you points is milling a Province.  Rebuild is an obvious example but Remodel and Expand do it too.  I'm not talking about ending the game this way but early/mid game.  I know I have done this and it has hurt me and helped me win games in the past.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +767
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 07:47:30 pm »
+1

Ideally, you can intuit your opponent's trajectory and have a good idea about your own.

Take the simple case - you have a point lead and identical rates of VP gain. If you make end game easier, then there are fewer dice rolls and you have fewer times for rare shuffle luck (good for them or bad for you) to flip the score. You want fewer rolls because the parity rare shuffle luck (e.g. really good for you), just makes you win bigger.

More commonly we have the situation where you have a VP lead, but they either currently or soon will take in more VP per turn (dVP/dt). In this case, you want end game sooner, here you might even be willing to sacrifice some VP game, just to prevent the opponent from getting a final, high point turn.

More rarely, you may not have a VP lead, but you have a higher dVP/dt with a lower d2VP/dt2 (that is you are currently have fewer VP, but are gaining more VP per turn right now, but your opponent is going to be gaining more per turn later - think about a province engine vs Gardens setup). In anticipation of a lead you expect to see materialize in a few turns, you might start making game end easier.

These three cases are the most general times you want to deplete piles if both you and your opponent are equally able to take advantage of the depletion.

Things can get much more interesting when things are not symmetrical.

Say I do not trash my necropolis so when we build our big deck drawing engines, I can use one more of the Squires (that we split 5/5) on +buys. In this case, leaving the Pearl diver pile at 5 might mean that on any turn I can pile it out (both our engines will peak around $16). You, having only 3 buys, are then forced with two options:
1. Spend $4 at some point to get the pile down to 3 so you can use it to end game if you will win.
2. Have your buy priorities altered by the 3-pile threat (e.g. you are forced to leave the last Mystic, I can buy it).

If you take option 1, then you are either sacrificing something (VP or engine build rate) to spend those $4 ASAP, or you are waiting and hoping that you have spare cash not otherwise needed. The latter course may fail though and dump you into option 2.

With option 2 you now are facing the prospect that there are many game states where I can end the game, but you cannot. This means you have to carry around more points so I will not end the game while you are ahead on points or you will have to ensure that my potential gain advantage never develops to the point where I can pile out, like where you leave some nice expensive kingdom pile not quite empty (and possibly letting me win a split).

Creating these assymetries is often not worth slowing down your engine or VP point gains ... but they become much more worth it when you have the potential to chain gain & play a lot of cards (e.g. Prssn/Iw can gain 3 cards as long as you have the draw ... which you might even be able to get at $5). Likewise, odd moves can catch unwary opponents by surprise (e.g. I buy the third Stonemason for $4, gaining two more. Next turn I can pile it out just with silver trashing).

When looking at assymetric cases, it is important not only how many cards could your opponent gain right now, but how many could he gain in one or two turns of quick ramp up, particularly if he can gain VP during the pile drive. For instance, Mason is really insane here in a good engine - one $4 buy with a Mason already in deck to trash coppers gives you the ability to pile all the duchies and remaining Masons next turn for just $16 - trash 4 golds or other $6s and then spend $4 on masons.

Ramp ups also can play havoc on trajectory estimates. Quickly using Kc -> Iw to gain more Iw can suddenly give me a shot to pile something like Estates or Feoda. My deck departs from a smooth trajectory to spike quick points and end the game.

It is an interesting problem, particularly when your opponent might do a quick ramp up and auto-win if you don't green now ... but then your opponent may not see the combo and if you green now you tank your odds of winning. Likewise, if your opponent doesn't see the ramp up, you can set it up if they might theoretically be able to beat you to the punch. This sort of thing is rare enough that many good players do not think much about it.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 07:43:19 am »
+4

I'm responding here to everything* in an attempt to get the discussion going again

I think the main thing about lowering piles is to think before you buy. One player once mentioned that this is a game about emptying piles whether provinces or three-piles. So, always remember that buying cards leads the game one-step closer to coming to an end.
Thinking before you buy sounds like great advice. Not just when lowering piles.

You might want to do that when you are behind and your only hope is that your opponent duds on the next turn so you could potentially steal a win.
I think this is an important point. It's certainly one of the situations where I like to lower piles. But maybe you can go into more details? Are you doing this every time you're behind or are there more side conditions?

I like to do this thing when I'm in the lead, and I'm sure this is one of the errors you have in mind, which is lowering piles just to make the game end sooner even if it causes some slight decrease in win %.

And I was going to write more about how I agree with you on general principle, but I have seen cases where you've made comments along these lines and I didn't think it applied in that case. Which is to say, deciding what "being in the lead" means exactly and making estimations for likelihood of dud hands over a number of future turns isn't always obvious. But I don't have time now!
I hope you will find more time because you will certainly get it from me :)

I think this is really only something you're going to do if a) piles are lowering anyway, or at least one pile has already emptied and b) it looks like Provinces are going to be difficult to empty.  This is most often the case in curser/looter games, but can also happen in engine games with a contested part.  In these cases, you really have to be mindful of how much is left in each pile, and what your current score is.  If you're losing, you want to keep the piles up to make it harder for your opponent to end the game in their favor.

Of course this is mainly about pile emptying.  For pile lowering, I think the main card to look out for is Goons.  With Goons, I'm perfectly happy grabbing a bunch of Pearl Divers, because they're basically cheaper Great Halls (or better, depending on how many Goons I have in play). 

I dunno.  Really, the strategy for pile lowering is the same as for pile emptying - you're looking for the same conditions, you're just starting earlier.  In order for it work without a contested pile, you need some sort of +Buy or gainer.
Sorry, no, I'm not talking about Goons. I specifically said that lowering the pile wasn't going to benefit you. With goons in play you buy those cards because you want the points. I'm looking for scenario's where you want the piles to be lower.

Buy cards so that you will be able to win with empty piles on the following turn but your opponent will not. This threat does have to be backed up with enough vp to force a win though.

A similar situation might be to squeeze down the supply piles so that if the opponent buys their ideal cards they will offer you a 3 pile ending next turn. If you can lock an opponent out of buying a card like city they might be short of +buys or +actions for the rest of the game. This sort of squeeze can sometimes lock out the mid cost vp cards as well.
I think this points towards another major category of strategically lowering piles. Any chance you can formalize the conditions? Hmm maybe you already have.

Oh yes winning on your next turn is fine. Winning on this turn is what I tried to ban with my talk about not emptying piles

In that case, let's talk about building vs closing. The first thing to look at will be how many times you will use your new cards if you decide to keep building. If there's only a 50-50 chance of playing them at all then building doesn't look so good. On the other hand, building may help you keep control over the important piles, typically the province pile, so that it doesn't actually matter whether the game closes sooner or later.
You're putting the whole discussion in it's proper context and I think that was certainly missing so far. In my estimation lowering piles is a bit of an edge case. {buying points, building on, lowering piles}. Lowering piles is by far the least frequent one, I would estimate applies in <5% of the games.

While I love anecdotes, it's hard to respond without knowing the complete board. You're suggesting your opponent should have emptied some other pile, which is possibly the right plan but not necessarily.

This definitely needs an article. More generally, I'd love to read a general article about end-game control, which is a (relatively) poorly understood aspect of advanced Dominion strategy. (I wrote an article for new players along these lines maybe a year ago, but I'd like to see an article for intermediate/advanced players.)

-you shouldn't do it if it your opponent can possibly buy enough points to overcome your lead and complete your 3-pile attempt

Some less trivial observations:
-most of the time when you do it, it doesn't matter, because you only do it when neither of the "trivial observations" apply, and "games where you're ahead and your opponent's deck can't buy a bunch of cards" is a pretty similar set to "games you're going to win anyway."
-the most important time to do it when it really does matter, is if your opponent threatens to gain an insurmountable lead, but doesn't quite have the engine to do it yet. This happens sometimes when you play a money-type variant against an engine-type variant. In this situation, you're "ahead" on points but "behind" on deck-tempo, another concept I'd like to see an advanced strategy article about.
The funny situation is that I agree with your less trivial observations and don't agree with your trivial ones. They nicely sum up the misconception I'm hoping to address.
The last one is an important point though, probably the most important one to make about lowering piles.

In this situation, you're "ahead" on points but "behind" on deck-tempo, another concept I'd like to see an advanced strategy article about.

In my mind at least, the deck quality (or chances of winning) is what I'm referring to by default when I talk about leads/behind/ahead. I usually will specify points if I'm talking about VP. I don't know if this is an important point of view to have, but it seems to me that lots of players still overvalue having their point counter be higher than their opponents at any stage of the game that isn't the end.
I think we're certainly going to need more than 1 metric to measure the gamestate when addressing this concept. Probably also more than 2?

I think it's easy for not-expert players to lower piles too early, so I try and be really conservative about it - I lower piles when I'm winning by more than one "big turn" worth of points. Lots of times when I miss three pile opportunities this way though.
I think that's a fine strategy at most levels of play. I often see players "going for the three pile" where just buying points would be much better (safer).

Here you're specifically ask about lowering piles in situations that don't lead to a forced win this turn or the next. I imagine you'd have to calculate the odds that this will lead to a 3-pile ending before your opponent overtakes you or you overtaking your opponent and ending the game on the same turn during some future turn.

I don't know how much you can say about this topic besides "depends on the game state". What I can recommend is to carefully consider the maximum number of gains your opponents can have on their turn before deciding to try lowering piles. If their gaining power matches yours, lowering piles can totally backfire if you get a dud hand relative to your opponent. I think it's better to lower piles when you have higher gaining power than your opponent so that you can lower piles only to the extent that it benefits you exclusively.

Edit: I'll add that it's better to lower piles that your opponents need for their strategy, because then you can count on your opponents to help you empty the piles as they build their engine. Simple example is lowering the Village pile when your opponent's strategy needs them, even if your strategy can make do with only a few of them.
Maximum number of gains is surely important somehow. Can we formalize the conditions around this?

I actually recommend you don't call it "lowering piles" because I think this term is misleading, because it's not clear if you're specifically referring to the end-game tactic of (eventually) emptying piles, or if you're just talking about lowering piles in general.  Here are some examples of why I will want to lower/empty a pile, but I don't think they're what you're referring to by "lowering piles", right?
  • you want as many of a pile as possible (Minion, Herald, etc.)
  • upgrading Cities
  • denying your opponent a pile
  • getting access to a different Knight/Ruin
No I was not referring to any of these. I don't think it was misleading either, as I specified for the mere sake of getting closer to a 3-pile
But feel free to suggest a better term.

To make good decisions about lowering piles I think you need to be able to track decks well too.  Knowing what your deck and your opponent's deck are capable of is pretty much the most important information you can use to decide which piles to lower, and by how much, and when.  At least it seems that way to me.
I'm now thinking there are a couple of fundamentally different scenario's where lowering piles is good. Exactly knowing both the decks capabilities is very important in some of them but not all.

Another type of pile lowering that doesn't gain you points is milling a Province.  Rebuild is an obvious example but Remodel and Expand do it too.  I'm not talking about ending the game this way but early/mid game.  I know I have done this and it has hurt me and helped me win games in the past.
Milling a province is an excellent example of lowering piles yes. As is buying a curse with Watchtower in hand on a board with no cursers.

You make or try to make so many different points that it's hard to respond.

About fewer dice rolls: I agree that sometimes you want fewer dice rolls, but there are also conditions where you want more dice rolls (if you die is better). Can we formalize these conditions?

About VP gaining speed and its derivative: I really don't like using formulas for the mere sake of using formulas. Either you introduce and use them or just use words. I think you have exactly one valid point (If your opponent is going to outscore you in the long run better end it soon) that doesn't need any formulas to make. And those formulas are probably wrong, because the vast majority of "exponential decks" aren't scoring points at all for a long time - they assemble something else.

The asymmetries you are talking about are certainly interesting. I think they mostly resolve around a trade-of between increasing your decks power and increasing the maximum number of gains. Sometimes you'll sacrifice a bit of power to enable some tricks (Stonemason indeed, but also Develop is great in this spot). In these circumstances Lowering Piles is probably something you do in addition to increasing your maximum number of gains to make the threat effective.
Join the Dominion League!

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 11:38:46 am »
+1

Most of what I'm going to say has been said before, but I think my main thing is that pile running comes in two basic forms: gloating and risking.

Gloating is when you do it because you're so far ahead that you're the only person in the game who can really benefit from piles being lower. This includes running piles to threaten a win on the next turn and grabbing cheap supply cards for extra Goons points. It could be a gloating based on a simple points advantage or from you having much more pile control than your opponent.

Risking is when you're behind but your best/only shot at winning is to buy the pile cards, either because you need the cards themselves (most likely engine components) or because you want to deny them from your opponent (like with alt-VP). Or some other factor like Cities. Your opponent has more points and/or more pile control, but you're hoping that their deck will dud or slow down enough that you can pull ahead despite that fact, and you can't do it without buying the cards.

Any other time - you don't have a solid points/pile control advantage and buying the cards won't help you win - and you should really keep your hands off those cards.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 11:48:12 am »

Most of what I'm going to say has been said before, but I think my main thing is that pile running comes in two basic forms: gloating and risking.

Gloating is when you do it because you're so far ahead that you're the only person in the game who can really benefit from piles being lower. This includes running piles to threaten a win on the next turn and grabbing cheap supply cards for extra Goons points. It could be a gloating based on a simple points advantage or from you having much more pile control than your opponent.

Risking is when you're behind but your best/only shot at winning is to buy the pile cards, either because you need the cards themselves (most likely engine components) or because you want to deny them from your opponent (like with alt-VP). Or some other factor like Cities. Your opponent has more points and/or more pile control, but you're hoping that their deck will dud or slow down enough that you can pull ahead despite that fact, and you can't do it without buying the cards.

Any other time - you don't have a solid points/pile control advantage and buying the cards won't help you win - and you should really keep your hands off those cards.

How about when you do it mostly to deny cards for your opponent?

"OK, you are building a superior engine which will overtake me, but you need more of cards X and Y, right? Well, after my turn there are only 4 each left of them. I dare you to get a couple more of each of them, because then a situation will open up when I can end the game prematurely."

(Or just getting low-scoring Gardens or Duchies (when opponent is into Dukes) just to tfb them, so they don't end up in the wrong hands.)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 01:30:32 pm »

How about when you do it mostly to deny cards for your opponent?

"OK, you are building a superior engine which will overtake me, but you need more of cards X and Y, right? Well, after my turn there are only 4 each left of them. I dare you to get a couple more of each of them, because then a situation will open up when I can end the game prematurely."

(Or just getting low-scoring Gardens or Duchies (when opponent is into Dukes) just to tfb them, so they don't end up in the wrong hands.)

or because you want to deny them from your opponent (like with alt-VP)

Like I said, I'd call that risking when your opponent is ahead of you points- or control-wise. But again, risking implies that it will give you a chance of winning.

Although you do bring up a good point about how denying them before they get ahead is a thing. So I guess that's an exception to my gloating/risking rule. Thing is though, if you don't have great instinctive timing, you can't really do that if you don't already have a substantial points lead.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • See you in the Outpost
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2015, 08:22:54 am »

I think this is an important point. It's certainly one of the situations where I like to lower piles. But maybe you can go into more details? Are you doing this every time you're behind or are there more side conditions?

Ehh, I tried to describe that kind of situation, but found out there are so many different cases,
it felt like I'm a small boy, floating through some terrible dead ocean, corpses all around, pointing their rotten fingers at me,
disgusting seaweed touching my legs, forbidden creatures stuffed with vermin...
So, I abandoned the idea.

The point of my initial post was that if you need both to get points and lower the piles to win the game,
then in some situations you probably want to go for piles first,
especially if the content of said piles is still useful for you
and especially if your opponent either duds or wins the game whatever you do.
But still, even here there so many edge cases, that it is probably wrong almost every second time.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:24:10 am by Burning Skull »

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 10:44:35 am »

I don't usually think about lowering piles unless I can empty them between this turn and my expected next turn. In that case, an attempt at formalizing my conservative strategy:

a = my expected gains per turn
b = my opponent's maximum gains per turn
u = my expected VP per gain
v = my opponent's maximum VP per gain

x = non-harmful cards left before 3 piles empty

m = my score
n = opponent's score

Conditions to lower piles

(a < x) &&    [ this is simply the condition that I can't empty piles now, as stated in the OP ]

((x - a) > b) || (m > (n + (b - (x - a))v)) &&    [ this states that my opponent either can't empty the pile OR that (s)he can do so, but can't accumulate enough VP while doing so ]

((x - a) < a) && ((m + (a - (x - a))u) > (n + bv)) [ I can empty the pile next turn AND that I can accumulate enough VP with my other gains to overtake the maximum VP my opponent can gain on their turn ]

Of course, this strategy means you have to know a,b,u,v and how they will change over the course of the next turn cycle. If I don't know b or v, I usually don't attempt to lower piles.

I don't expect that this is that helpful beyond formalizing the "level 1" case.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +767
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 04:54:11 pm »
+2

Stef: The point about derivatives is that we have three values we should be considering:
Current VP amounts
Rate of VP gain
Acceleration of VP gain

The first naturally gives rise to some very basic ideas about Dominion - don't end the game when you are down, grab ever lower efficiency VP cards as the score gets closer to 50% +1, and the like. This sort of deck tracking is phenomenally easy and most people on the board get it easily. The basic rule here is if you are ahead on VP, then mill provinces or otherwise deplete provinces.

Rate of VP gain is what sims tend to speak about. This blindingly obvious for most BM - 6 or 10 VP per turn max and maybe you want fractional values to reflect likelihood concerns. This gets us the penultimate province rule and other permutations - if the opponent can gain enough VP this turn, then change your buy strategy. Likewise this level of analysis starts telling us how good engines are. An engine that scores 12 or 15 VP per turn is a very different game than one capped at 6. Here we need to modify the basic rule - mill down if are ahead or if you are currently behind in points, but have a good expectation of getting ahead soon.

Acceleration of VP gain is the hardest to speak about, but possibly the most important for your querry. Here is where the true power of engines show up, in the space of a few turns they go from being able to acquire 3 VP/turn to 6 to 9 to 12. The best options are the exponential ones where the discrete nature of turns make all their points show at a single juncture. This is where the rules get complicated. We have three basic variable to look at quantity, rate, and acceleration. Milling generally needs to follow the chart below:
Quantity       Rate             Acceleration
Higher          Higher          Higher                -  doesn't matter much, but safest not to mill (each turn improves your relative roll)
Higher          Lower           Higher                -  indeterminate - ending really soon is a win, dragging the game out is a win - so check game length and mill all or nothing
Higher          Lower           Lower                 -  mill it down, life is never better than it is now
Higher          Higher          Lower                 -  mill it down, less necessary than above, but you will lose the long game
Lower           Higher          Higher                -  do not mill, you have the long game, keep it going until you have an advantage
Lower           Lower           Higher                -  do not mill, like above only even more important to stretch the game out
Lower           Higher          Lower                 -  indeterminate - you need to be Goldilocks - long enough to take the lead, not so long you slip behind again
Lower           Lower           Lower                 -  generally you are just SOL, but milling & luck might let you pick up a small VP gap

The two indeterminate cases are the hard ones. Depending on how long until your opponent can end the game, you need to adapt your strategy to have it end when your deck's strength is at its highest relative level.

As you note, VP gain is a little hard to measure. I like to either just ask well what could my opponent gain in terms of VP each turn if he bought pure VP? If he does that, how quickly will his deck die? A less taxing mental exercise is just tracking how much value your opponent adds each turn and using that as a proxy for VP. E.g. if he buys a gold -count it as 4.5 VP, if he gains three villages count it as a Province (or 6.75 VP). Then you can use the above logic to say how fast is my engine adding value (i.e. is my rate higher), how fast is my rate getting better (i.e. is my acceleration lower). There are a billion and one exceptions where value added tracks horridly with VP potential (e.g. Garden decks, pins), but I find it is a very nice first order approximation with maybe a few turns of lag (afterall Tr -> Iw becomes a province/turn with just Silver x4/Tr/Smithy in deck drawing engine).

If you want it really simple, just track the coin value of cards. The total deck value at end game is reasonably correlated with VP total at end game. Deck value gain/turn tracks even better with VP gain (though obvious exceptions include things like remodeling plats -> colonies), and it is pretty easy to see how quickly a deck can ramp up (e.g. buying Squires to buy more Squires).

mee

• Scout
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2015, 06:57:51 pm »

[/quote]
Maximum number of gains is surely important somehow. Can we formalize the conditions around this?

I just played a game with bridge and artificer and alter and village and pawn with 1 pile gone and pawn and village at 3 each neither of us could 3 pile in one turn but then I played 2 bridges and I got 3 free pawns with artificers bc they were free so you really need to b carefull about all types of gainers that can sneak up on you

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 09:16:20 pm »

I really don't like these "rates of VP gain" and the acceleration. First off, acceleration cannot possibly ever have a unique value, because you make a decision every turn based on a variety of factors about exactly how hard to cannibalize your deck or to keep building, or somewhere in between. It is because of these endgame considerations that we actually rarely follow the ideal arc which you would follow in a solo game of a building stage, then light greening, and finally full greening; instead we often have turns out of order based on draws or pile considerations. Further, Dominion is a very discrete game, and it rarely actually matters what your expected gain rate or VP rate is, what matters is the probability that you (or your opponent) can get over a certain number of gains/points in a turn. It's the threshold that matters, and not only is it often very different than would be expected (I doubt the number of points/gains is a nice distribution most of the time), you can only really get an intuitive guess for what the chances are. With that in mind, here's a different way of approaching the problem:

Let "Li" be the probability your opponent wins on their ith turn given that they get an ith turn
Let "Wi" be the probability that you can win on your ith turn given that you get an ith turn
Let "n" be the maximum number of turns that the game could realistically go for (the greater you make n, the more accurate your estimation will be)

Assume that you are the second player (if you are the first player just shift your turn numbers down by one to make it look like you are the second player), that ties don't happen, that you can't win on your turn, and that both players will always win on their turn if they can and will never end the game on their turn and lose.

Then let Pn = (1 - Ln)Wn,
and Pk = (1 - Lk)Wk + Pk + 1(1 - Lk)(1 - Wk) for all k < n.

Then on each turn i, you want to make the choice which maximizes Pi + 1, while your opponent tries to minimize it.

It is of course impossible to really calculate Pi + 1, but you can get a sense for what the nearby L and W are for each of your choices and try to get a ballpark for it.

Then lowering piles generally increases Li and Wi for the lower i. You just have to estimate whether this actually increases Pi + 1. Things that tend to make this more likely to be true are:

1) Having the lead (though in crazy engines this is often less important)
2) Having a more powerful deck in terms of VP gain capability (your opponent can't catch up in time)
3) Having a more powerful deck in terms of ending the game capability (this is often the most important one, though it does not matter if you cannot take the lead).

or alternatively, if Li is already quite high, then you may not have much to lose by making it a little higher if it means that Wi increases by a lot. This is when you opponent will probably get KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge next turn, so you might as well lower the pearl diver pile so that you can end the game with your KC-Bridge next turn if you get a chance. But the nice thing about this model is that we can look multiple turns in advance; say your opponent will have their KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge two turns from now, and you won't be able to win next turn, then both Li and Wi are near 0, so we look ahead to Li + 1 and Wi + 1.

This formalism may not be particularly useful, but it seems people wanted something along these lines, so here it is, the answer to how you should make every decision in Dominion in one impossible to evaluate expression.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:29:23 pm by liopoil »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2015, 02:46:03 pm »

Wandering Winder's thoughts from his blog:

Quote from: Wandering Winder blog
In the game of Dominion, a question which often needs to be asked (admittedly, I don't see it getting asked all that much, part of why I want to write this article) is "When do I want to lower piles (or not)?" This is a bit of a tricky question to answer in the abstract sense, as every situation is different, but there are some general principles which can help you out - principles which I often see violated.

If you have a forced win by emptying piles, take it.

This one's pretty straightforward, though sometimes a bit hard to see. Knowing which piles are low, and your capability of scoring points while simultaneously emptying piles, can help. This is something to think about at the start of your turn. Awareness helps a lot.

The player with the higher-quality deck wants the piles to be higher
The reasoning here is fairly straightforward. The longer the game goes, the more the player with the better deck is able to enjoy the advantage offered to her by said better deck. A lot of people think that lowering piles helps the player who is ahead in points - this is generally true, but not hugely so. Usually better deck quality aligns with lower in points, but in the cases that isn't true, the player who is doubly behind usually likes lowering the piles, because there is a better chance of some fluke making the difference in a short game (one unlikely-but-possible dud hand, say).

Perhaps more commonly, I see players start to lower some piles to "set up the win next turn" or two turns down the line, etc. This can be fine, and it's usually winning, but people are often in much more of a rush to do so than they should be, i.e. it increases their chance to lose.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 04:11:59 pm »

More commonly we have the situation where you have a VP lead, [...]

More rarely, you may not have a VP lead, [...]
I wanted to quote this because this is often untrue for myself.

As for the discussion, tracking opponent VP for IRL games can become tedious, especially in multiplayer. In that case the conversation is usually left to "how many Provinces" player A,B,C has. There are many times where an opponent may not even remember exactly how many points they have, but you can tell that their deck is definitely working.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 07:15:52 pm »

So does "lowering piles" basically come down to the following 3 situations, or what?
  • I am far enough ahead (or my deck is getting better than my opponent's at a sustainable enough rate), that I can confidently say I can draw the game closer to a 3-pile ending, and eventually end it whilst ahead in VP.
  • I am so far behind (or my opponent's deck is getting better than mine at such a large, sustainable rate), that the only way I can possibly win the game is that my opponent doesn't notice how low the piles are getting, and maybe I can pile the Estates or something for that sneaky 3-pile win.
  • Lowering the x pile or the y pile or whatever doesn't necessarily make my deck any better or any worse relative to my opponent's, either in VP or in pile-controlness or anything, than what it already is. It simply brings the game closer to an ending, which I prefer for whatever reason.
    --> I would compare this to in Chess when I sacrifice my Queen to take their Queen. In Chess, I am usually a much worse player than my opponent. And therefore I feel the less pieces my opponent and I have on the board, the less ways they can beat me in ways I don't see coming. So although trading Queen for Queen doesn't in-and-of-itself actually increase or decrease my chances of winning right now, it makes the state of the game more suitable towards my style of play.
I feel that every form of lowering piles could fit into one of the above categories. Or no? And note: these techniques still apply to milling Provinces, which is basically a form of lowering piles.

EDIT: To clarify, there are plenty of other reasons I'd want to buy a lot from a pile, which include
  • I want a lot of cards from that pile
  • I want to activate on-buy effects (Goons)
  • I want to trash Curses with my Watchtower now because my opponent has the only curser
  • I want to upgrade my Cities
  • I want to get a certain Knight/Ruin
  • etc.
but those things aren't what Stef is referring to when he says "lowering piles", are they?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:48:08 pm by Dingan »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 07:20:22 pm »
+1

--> I would compare this to in Chess when I sacrifice my Queen to take their Queen. In Chess, I am usually a much worse player than my opponent. And therefore I feel the less pieces my opponent and I have on the board, the less ways they can beat me in ways I don't see coming. So although trading Queen for Queen doesn't in-and-of-itself actually increase or decrease my chances of winning right now, it makes the state of the game more suitable towards my style of play.

This is normally bad chess strategy, as it happens. When you're facing a stronger opponent, other things being equal, you should keep the queens on for the exact mirror image of that reason: your queen can enable you to beat them in ways they don't see coming.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2016, 07:38:42 pm »
+2

This is normally bad chess strategy, as it happens. When you're facing a stronger opponent, other things being equal, you should keep the queens on for the exact mirror image of that reason: your queen can enable you to beat them in ways they don't see coming.

Like I said, I'm bad at Chess.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 08:16:00 pm »

So although trading Queen for Queen doesn't in-and-of-itself actually increase or decrease my chances of winning right now

That depends on the situation. It's beneficial for you to make 1:1 trades when you're in the lead, because a 1:1 trade will make that lead bigger. For instance, if you have pieces worth 10 points (I know this point system doesn't really work too well in practice, but let's imagine it does) and your opponent has pieces worth 9 points, and you trade, say, 3 points for 3 points, now your lead is 7-6 which is a bigger lead than 10-9 because 7/6 is more than 10/9. Ultimately, if you keep making those trades, you will end up with something and your opponent will end up with nothing, and that's an enormous lead. Conversely, if your opponent is in the lead, you only want to make trades that are in your favor.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 08:24:43 pm »

So although trading Queen for Queen doesn't in-and-of-itself actually increase or decrease my chances of winning right now

That depends on the situation. It's beneficial for you to make 1:1 trades when you're in the lead, because a 1:1 trade will make that lead bigger. For instance, if you have pieces worth 10 points (I know this point system doesn't really work too well in practice, but let's imagine it does) and your opponent has pieces worth 9 points, and you trade, say, 3 points for 3 points, now your lead is 7-6 which is a bigger lead than 10-9 because 7/6 is more than 10/9. Ultimately, if you keep making those trades, you will end up with something and your opponent will end up with nothing, and that's an enormous lead. Conversely, if your opponent is in the lead, you only want to make trades that are in your favor.

That makes sense.  I think we're overthinking the whole Queen thing though.  The point I was trying to make was that it makes the game simpler (at least, to me, I think it does.. maybe it doesn't, but I feel that it does, so I do it.. and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong).  There are less things to have to think about. i.e. less pieces to consider moving, less pieces to have to watch out for.  Same reason they made it Connect Four instead of Connect Twenty.  And that this is analogous to in Dominion when you draw the game closer to ending just for the sake of drawing it closer to ending; one reason for which would be so that the game is now simplified.  Your opponent has less time to build what they're trying to build.  But so do you.  Neither of you are better or worse off compared to each other as you already were.  But there are less options for your opponent, less decisions that can be made over the course of the rest of the game.  And for whatever reason, you prefer that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:30:56 pm by Dingan »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 05:13:59 am »
+1

Sometimes you have an early/mid game lead, but know that your enemy will zoom right past you when he gets his engine going. This will mean that you will almost certainly lose if the game goes on too long.

This is when I start looking for those piles and try to see if I can empty them in 3 turns. 3 is not a scientifically proven number, but it seems about right. This strategy works best if there are some helpers like Stonemason, Haggler, etc.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 04:44:56 pm »

(Sorry to resurrect, but I think I realized something that no one has mentioned yet...)

Say you're behind your opponent in VP, and your opponent has a max of N gains per turn, but you have a better deck and have a max of greater than N gains per turn, and you basically can catch up to them in VP in 2 turns but not 1...  Consider lowering piles such that there are N+1 cards left before a 3-pile, so long as gaining from these piles increases the power/control of your deck.  In which case, if your opponent chooses to green, then you still have an even better deck than them.  If they instead decide to lower piles and not green, then you can empty piles and surpass in green.

Example game, see turn T12 (low piles were GM, Conspirator, and Steward):
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20161015/log.0.1476507537693.txt
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 20 queries.