Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Duelyst  (Read 5948 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Duelyst
« on: November 03, 2015, 04:33:38 pm »
+2

It's a computer CCG very much like Hearthstone, but on a board. They started their open beta just a few days ago (Windows/Mac). I've only played the tutorial and a couple online games, but so far I'm impressed. The production values are comparable to Hearthstone's (beautiful native client, good tutorial, working automatch, etc.), and while the combat mechanics themselves are almost identical to Hearthstone's, the board gives you something extra you can do on your turn apart from just playing a card and hoping for the best, which has often bothered me in Hearthstone.

Anyone tried it?
https://www.reddit.com/r/duelyst/comments/398gri/interested_in_trying_duelyst_out_heres_how_to_get/

Edit: Fixed OSes because I can't brain correctly. (Although they do call Windows "PC" on their site, what.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:51:40 pm by blueblimp »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Duelyst
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:51:23 pm »

It's a computer CCG
Good.
very much like Hearthstone,
Uh oh
but on a board.
Good
They started their open beta just a few days ago (PC/Mac).
uh oh
The production values are comparable to Hearthstone's (beautiful native client, good tutorial, working automatch, etc.),
Good.
and while the combat mechanics themselves are almost identical to Hearthstone's,
Uh oh.
the board gives you something extra you can do on your turn apart from just playing a card and hoping for the best,
Good

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 08:10:33 pm »

uh oh
Not sure why this is bad? I haven't run into any bugs that mattered.

If anything I think it's nice because you get automatched against other newbies instead of people who have been playing the game for a year (or more).

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 08:14:23 am »
+6

uh oh
Not sure why this is bad? I haven't run into any bugs that mattered.
I think it's just a pavlovian reflex you get when you are a Dominion Online player.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 06:58:22 pm »
+2

I ran into a bug.  The installer launchers says "womp womp".  So, yeahs, I can't play at all.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 02:49:48 am »

I ran into a bug.  The installer launchers says "womp womp".  So, yeahs, I can't play at all.
I wonder if it's the same problem this guy had: https://www.reddit.com/r/duelyst/comments/398gri/interested_in_trying_duelyst_out_heres_how_to_get/cw83784. I'm using the Mac client so I'm not of much help if you're on Windows.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 12:51:27 pm »

This actually sounds quite interesting. Reminds me a bit of MM:DoC. I just wish I had the time to try it.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 09:23:49 pm »

I wonder if it's the same problem this guy had: https://www.reddit.com/r/duelyst/comments/398gri/interested_in_trying_duelyst_out_heres_how_to_get/cw83784. I'm using the Mac client so I'm not of much help if you're on Windows.
sounds similar.  Maybe i'll try the browser version.  Been playing dominion lately.  I'm crazy

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 01:51:08 am »
+1

Still playing it?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 02:13:33 am »

Still playing it?
No, I fell off because their arena equivalent (Gauntlet) is only open two days per week currently, and one of those days is Wednesday and I'm usually playing the new brawl that day. :(

I'll give it a try again if they open Gauntlet through the whole week.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:16:35 am by blueblimp »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 06:43:48 pm »

Still playing it?
No, I fell off because their arena equivalent (Gauntlet) is only open two days per week currently, and one of those days is Wednesday and I'm usually playing the new brawl that day. :(

I'll give it a try again if they open Gauntlet through the whole week.
Could you send them an email and let them know that's retarded?

Let me know if they update to support my OS, or fully release, which would imply the same.  I probably won't check the Duelyst site every day to find out, but I check this forum.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 07:29:20 pm »

Heh, right after finding out about Duelyst here, a friend showed it to me. I'm not ready to invest the time to start playing this with my current school workload being what it is.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 02:40:33 pm »
+1

it turns out there's a browser version, which I can play on.

consistently beating people with the starter decks was fun.  So much carries over from just any ccg.  Don't Dennis.  Don't play a haste wolf just to attack general, that's not good.

It bugs me a little bit that the board is the unique part, but then the important stuff like removal spells has global targetting, and not targetting based on distance from general.  I guess I get that ranged might be really strong without distant removal spells, but, it makes me a little sad. 

Haven't opened many packs yet, but i got the epic golem that gives all your golems taunt, which is pretty nifty for a starting collection since lots of the basic cards are golems.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 07:56:04 pm »

I just started playing! I like it a lot so far, username is ycz6.

consistently beating people with the starter decks was fun.

Agreed :^) Though I've found that things are easier if I just replace random cards with Healing Mystic and that 3 mana 2/2 that displaces an enemy minion.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 07:11:52 am »
+1

Saw it some time go. I found it annoyingly too slow. Don't really like it. I wish for more of a tactical RPG feel.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 10:55:10 am »

Saw it some time go. I found it annoyingly too slow. Don't really like it. I wish for more of a tactical RPG feel.

Slow was my main complaint.  It's fine, but it seems like games take forever.  I've found the same with a few other Hearthstone-alikes too.  I think it might be down to the interface: when you want to make things happen in Hearthstone you can make them happen fast, which feels speedy even if you're roping every turn.  If you have to wait around for animations to finish before you can do more things the constant stop-start makes it feel like a bit of a drag.

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 11:15:28 am »

I did the "I'll drag my guy here, drag guy to attack, click end turn... WTF it didn't attack!" thing a couple times.  But I learned my lesson.

This game killed Hearthstone for me.  I'll still begrudgingly log into HS sometimes to re-roll a quest and clear a 60 when I'm full on quests, but I'll hate myself when I'm doing it, because I'm having literally zero fun.  Duelyst's mulligan every turn mechanic is the Jesus of card game mechanics.  Every CCG-ish game should have.  I can't remember if I ever had a game of Duelyst where is did nothing the first two turns, and that happens all the time in HS and MtG.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 04:13:46 pm »

I'm still mostly stuck at being frustrated with the animations and lagginess.  I want to play the game, not slog.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 02:36:47 am »

So they just added Hero powers, and there are two heroes per faction. Most powers are borderline OP for their price, considering that you don't even need a card to use them, but it's balanced by their cooldowns (can't use it before turn 3, then there's a two turn cooldown until turn 9, when you can use it every turn). It's fun!

Gauntlet is opened four days a week now, by the way. I wish they would add more in-faction cards, instead of so many neutral ones, though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 11:55:57 pm »
+1

I don't mind the neutrals, especially since they seem willing to nerf the "welp this will go in every deck" ones like Jaxi.

Did some pretty broken stuff with the songhai general that can summon Heartseekers, it's pretty easy to make a super bursty deck without getting empty hand syndrome with the Heartseeker mana sink now.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.