Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: Ruins  (Read 24340 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: Ruins
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:52:47 am »
+21

I received 69 votes for this list.

The Ruins

#5 =0 Ruined Village (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 0.3% ▼2.0pp / Unweighted Average: 1.5% / Median: 0% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 12.0%

There is no doubt this is the worst Ruin you can possibly get, even less doubt than before. Everyone voted it last except one person who voted it first.
#4 =0 Ruined Library (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 46.7% ▼2.6pp / Unweighted Average: 46.4% / Median: 50% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 23.8%

Again the closest battle was between #4 and #3. Ruined Library is the second worse Ruin again with a slightly worse average. It was voted last once and 3 times first.
#3 =0 Survivors (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 50.5% ▼3.0pp / Unweighted Average: 49.6% / Median: 50% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 24.6%

Survivors is still #3 with a slightly weaker average as well. I was voted first 6 times.
#2 ▼1 Abandoned Mine (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 72.9% ▼6.8pp / Unweighted Average: 73.4% / Median: 75% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 24.4%

Abandoned Mine lost quite a bit in points and isn't on #1 anymore. It was voted first 25 times.
#1 ▲1 Ruined Market (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 79.5% ▲14.1pp / Unweighted Average: 78.4% / Median: 75% ▲25.0pp / Standard Deviation: 25.3%

Ruined Market is again the Ruin with the most disagreement, but now it made a big jump is now on #1. It was voted first 34 times.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: Ruins
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:57:06 am »

I voted Abandoned Mine first I think but I regret that now. Ruined Market is basically the only Ruins you will ever WANT to get, I recently found myself disappointed that Ruined Market never showed up, I would have bought that over playing Marauder, so actually there is absolutely no disagreement with this list.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:13:04 am »
+2

It's nice to see Ruined Market as the #1. As long as you can make your engine work despite the junking, the +buy will usually have at least some, probably even significant value at some point. The other Ruins can merely mitigate being in your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:31:04 am »
+3

I was not the one to vote Ruined Village first.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:07 am »
+8

That surprises me. I always get reminded of Scout when I get a ruined village
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:45:21 am »
+2

That surprises me. I always get reminded of Scout when I get a ruined village
He's criing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 11:22:47 am »
+4

I'm quite surprised to see Mine so high and Library so low... if you have extra actions lying around, which I wouldn't think would be that uncommon, then Library doesn't hurt you at all, while Mine is a Copper. Copper vs no card in your deck. Even if you don't have extra actions lying around, a card is generally going to be worth more than a coin isn't it?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 11:45:18 am »

I'm quite surprised to see Mine so high and Library so low... if you have extra actions lying around, which I wouldn't think would be that uncommon, then Library doesn't hurt you at all, while Mine is a Copper. Copper vs no card in your deck. Even if you don't have extra actions lying around, a card is generally going to be worth more than a coin isn't it?

I guess Ruined Library can draw stuff dead. Especially in junking games you generally won't have too many actions lying around.

But I agree that RLibrary > AMine, I voted RLibrary second after RMarket. I'm also not sure how RMarket got anything less than 100%.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 11:48:24 am »
+3

I guess Ruined Library can draw stuff dead. Especially in junking games you generally won't have too many actions lying around.

But I agree that RLibrary > AMine, I voted RLibrary second after RMarket. I'm also not sure how RMarket got anything less than 100%.
Because in a game with other +buy, Ruined Market is completely useless.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 11:48:47 am »
+4

I find the mine more useful in slog games where I might have ruins and other dead cards. Library is good with kings court, golem, etc, but not in general. Either way we are sorting garbage here.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 11:53:36 am »

Because in a game with other +buy, Ruined Market is completely useless.

I think a card that is sometimes completely useless and sometimes pretty useful beats a card that is always nearly useless, which the other 4 cards all are.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 11:56:24 am »
+6

I'm also not sure how RMarket got anything less than 100%.

While Ruined Market is the only ruin that has the possibility to really shine, in your average game it's just total crap.
If I was to select any of the ruins and from now on all ruins I gained every game would be that one, I certainly wouldn't pick Market.
Ruined Library would be a better choice, as would Ruined Mine and Survivors. It's even close with Ruined Village.

That said, I selected Ruined Market as #1 too. Even though it's worse than the other ruins a lot of the time, all the ruins have the "problem" that they're so bad you usually don't play them anyway. And that one-in-a-thousand games where Ruined Market actually does shine it's just too memorable.
Join the Dominion League!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 01:01:53 pm »

I agree by 100%. In fact, my list is the same as above except with Library and Mine swapped
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 01:18:09 pm »
+4

Not necessarily. If your deck is full of Ruins and Cultists, the +1 card on a terminal action will have a very hard time being worth more than a coin.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 02:19:35 pm »

Sometimes the Mine will help you hit a key price point like $5 when you need it most. The other Ruins don't help as much with that I don't think. Because of that I voted Mine first and Market second.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 02:24:10 pm »

Not necessarily. If your deck is full of Ruins and Cultists, the +1 card on a terminal action will have a very hard time being worth more than a coin.

If the +1 card gives you a ruins or estate or Curse, then you should still be glad you drew it... it's 1 more card that's not that in your hand next turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 02:28:59 pm »
+1

If the +1 card gives you a ruins or estate or Curse, then you should still be glad you drew it... it's 1 more card that's not that in your hand next turn.

That's why Survivors is better than Ruined Library.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 02:33:18 pm »

That's why Survivors is better than Ruined Library.

I suppose, but Survivors could also reveal a good card and a bad card, and then it's not so clear what to do.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 03:26:42 pm »

Probably the disagreement comes from how different people understand the ranking.  If we're ranking them according to which one I'm most likely to buy, the ranking clearly goes Market>Survivors>three-way tie.  But that's a pretty silly ranking, because I'm pretty much never buying Survivors, and I'm literally never buying the other three (except for name edge cases, in which case none of them has an advantage over the others).  I think the goal of the Ruins ranking should be "If I could choose which Ruins to gain when I have to gain a Ruins, which one would I choose?".  I don't think Ruined Library wins this competition, though maybe it's close.  Really this is just another case of how much do you weight how good a card is in its best case vs. how good it is in the average case.  Ruined Library is clearly the best in its best case, no questions there.  But it's pretty bad in the average case, on par with the other ruins.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 03:52:06 pm »
+1

Drawing a card is better than a coin both on average and in the best case scenario. I have Ruined Library on #2, behind Ruined Market.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 04:13:48 pm »

Ruined market is the only ruins that makes me question playing cultist on an engine board with good trashing and no buy

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 09:27:52 pm »
+4

keep in mind, at some point ruined market cost 5 and was called "market"
that said i had it third lmao and if i thought about it more it would be 4th rofl
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 12:22:59 am »
+3

keep in mind, at some point ruined market cost 5 and was called "market"
that said i had it third lmao and if i thought about it more it would be 4th rofl

Honestly, herbalist and ruined market are not that different from each other

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 07:19:51 am »

Ruined market is the only ruins that makes me question playing cultist on an engine board with good trashing and no buy
You should probably use cultists to dig through the ruins pile until you find a ruined market. The stop playing cultists and buy it.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 06:21:11 pm »

You should probably use cultists to dig through the ruins pile until you find a ruined market. The stop playing cultists and buy it.

I did that before.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.