Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Piracy or Salvaging? Or both?  (Read 2272 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Piracy or Salvaging? Or both?
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:16:37 am »

Yesterday I played a live game with 3 players. The board was (oops, I mistakingly added Village instead of Border Village... fixed now):

$2: Native Village
$3: Loan
$4: Pirate Ship, Salvager, Caravan, Quarry, Spy
$5: Laboratory
$6: Adventurer, Border Village

(Colony game)

I'm not very familiar with 3-player games and I can't really simulate this board due to the complex decisions involving Salvager and Pirate Ship attack timing with Spy and whatnot.

So what would you open here in last place if both opponents open Pirate Ship? I went for Salvager to make the game more interesting, but felt Pirate Ship was probably the way to go here.

I lost to the guy who got his Ships to $6 which, combined with Villages, allowed him to buy a Colony each turn. (The third guy finished the third pile so I couldn't get my final big turn)

What would you do here? Does your opening depend on what the other guys open here?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:37:40 am by Geronimoo »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy or Salvaging? Or both?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:46:37 am »

Probably I'll still choose PS/(N)V with some Lab support.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:02:45 am »

I would also work off a similar tactic.  I think its important you open Pirate ship/Loan to remove as many coppers as you can from your deck without benefitting their PS and pray the loan doesn't get attacked.  After that it does seem like a 2-3 PS barrage with native villages. 

Are native villages preferrable in this situation? I'm thinking something like that would be beneficial to cease fire on your attack? Although as I say that, it weakens your loan if there is no deck/discard pile. 

I haven't played nearly as many 3 player games and especially 3 player games with PS, so this is all hypothetical to me.

Edit: As for salvaging, I wouldn't dip into that until after a little while.  I rather use my actions towards building pirate tokens
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:04:51 am by RisingJaguar »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:45:49 am »

I'd go pirate ship/village and try to get the 3 or 4 tokens you need to progress the deck. Get at least 2 pirates then feed in caravans, spies, etc to progress the deck. It's risky buying late treasures in a 3-4 player pirate game since there's probably going to be a player who's still attacking, even when the leaders are looking to buy green cards.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:59:35 am »

I'd probably open Pirate/Loan, buy Lab for 5, PS for 4 (until I have about 3-4), Village for 3. The target should be to have your buying power mostly from Ship tokens.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:39:35 am by kn1tt3r »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:27:03 am »

Just remember in this type of deck, especially with loan, it is very unlikely you will see $5 ever and $4 after turn 6 or so.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:39:02 am »

Thx for the responses, but now I see I added Village while it was a Border Village... which should be a pretty big deal with Salvager (I had some huge turns with that combo).

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:38:32 pm »

I'd probably open pirate ship too -- just to split the tokens better -- but then try to transition into some salvager/border village shenanigans (unless the pirating goes really, really well).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 20 queries.