Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Play $5, buy a feast  (Read 3016 times)

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Play $5, buy a feast
« on: January 12, 2012, 03:02:08 am »

Everyone knows the traditional story of someone opening 5/2 and buying a feast as they didn't like any of the $5 cost cards. When would that actually be a good move?

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Play $5, buy a feast
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:28 am »

This thread has a number of answers.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:38:34 am »

To be fair, the "puzzle" proposed in that thread has a subtle difference: it doesn't specify that the Feast must be purchased in a 5 / 2 opening. I don't imagine any of those responses being very legitimate reasons to open with Feast with $5, either.

I suppose opening Feast so you don't have to trash 5 Coppers in order to get a Mint is a mostly illegitimate, but sensible, answer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:40:36 am by dondon151 »

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:09:06 am »

I admit I had missed the earlier thread, and that it would cover all of the responses of which I had thought.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:19:47 am »

I suppose opening Feast so you don't have to trash 5 Coppers in order to get a Mint is a mostly illegitimate, but sensible, answer.

On a very similar note, you might want a Mandarin, but don't want to slow your cycling by putting 5 coppers back on top.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »

Really, any on-gain card.  Embassy comes to mind, definitely.  I can think of a few plausible cases for Inn if you're feeling lucky in terms of shuffling.  Ill-Gotten Gains if you value your friendships ;D.

Opening 5/2, if you went first, Feast would allow you to defer a strategy decision until after you've seen your opponent's first couple of turns.  Similarly, it could mask your strategy if you were setting something up which didn't have much use for its $5 component in the first few turns.

I think opening Feast/Copper for 5/2 is underrated.  You lull your opponent into a false sense of confidence, then you build up your engine while he's busy explaining why your opening sucked.  Dominion is, after all, a largely psychological game.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »

On gain cards will have the same effect with Feast because you still gain them.  It is only on buy cards, or on gains that effect your Treasures that are not in play during your action phase.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »

^But you may want the on-gain effect to occur later, rather than on turn 1-2.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 02:37:27 am »

It's a scrying pool game, and you're preparing for a megaturn, but it can't quite be this turn. Buy feasts to get duchies on the megaturn without risking drawing them dead.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 05:19:13 pm »

Game with Throne room/King's court and you intend to lead a duchy-duke rush ? (and there are no goods $5 of course) and there is a nice chapel at $2 to make it easier ? And you are looking forward to a feast rush too... so why not villages to play several of them at once ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.