Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Treasure Map play rules  (Read 2425 times)

Guy Srinivasan

• Salvager
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Treasure Map play rules
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:43:21 pm »

I started playing with Geronimoo's simulator today, adding some Treasure Maps to Big Money Ultimate. That did pretty well versus BMU, 46.073% versus 46.269%, but the play rules for Treasure Maps are hurting it: the bot will never trash its 3rd Map.

What should Treasure Map play rules look like?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Map play rules
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:05:53 pm »

There might be some value in trashing the treasure map when there is only one in the deck and the purchase conditions for treasure maps are not currently satisfied (although this would have to be careful about conditions involving the action phase, number of buys, etc.). The treasure map can certainly be trashed if it isn't in the purchase list at all.

Anyone want me to open a thread about secret chamber play rules? Geronimoo probably doesn't :) .
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:09:15 pm by DG »

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:12:32 pm »

This leaves open the question what happens if you have more than 1 TM in your deck (say you bought 4 and have already cashed in two of the maps). It's non-trivial, because a really aggresive trashing strategy might want 8 Golds?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:12:50 am »

I started playing with Geronimoo's simulator today, adding some Treasure Maps to Big Money Ultimate. That did pretty well versus BMU, 46.073% versus 46.269%, but the play rules for Treasure Maps are hurting it: the bot will never trash its 3rd Map.

What should Treasure Map play rules look like?

Dominiate has high-Priority play of TM if it has at least 2 in hand, and low priority if there are at least 4 Gold and exactly 1 TM in deck. Of course that might still conflict in the rare cases where you want feed an engine with 8 Golds, but can not afford to buy doubleTM in one round [which, even for a bot that doesn't care for it should be quite rare], but luckily you can just override the playrules in that cases...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:15:21 am by DStu »

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:30:56 am »

I could probably add a simple algorithm:

if number of TM's in deck = 1 and buy rules indicate you don't want to buy it (anymore), trash it.

And if you'd like extra play rules for Secret Chamber (or any other card) add a comment on the play rules page of that card on my blog describing what you'd like it to do (and why).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:47:39 am »

I started to look at the secret chamber and it would have been a bit of work for you to code as it varied with each attack, even though there was some commonality.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 20 queries.