Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Random Opponents--More or Less Accurate Leaderboard?  (Read 881 times)

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
Random Opponents--More or Less Accurate Leaderboard?
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:20:18 am »

With the new client queuing up a random opponent each game (barring a specific challenge or rematch), this has led to a much greater diversity of players encountered.  Assuming this is the case for all/most players, should that lead to a more accurate or less accurate leaderboard?  My gut is that mu will be about the same for everyone but with a larger sigma, but I'm no stats guy.  I do find it comical that I can be matched up with someone who barely knows how to play and then matched up with a super-expert the next game.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Random Opponents--More or Less Accurate Leaderboard?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:47:06 am »

I know it might seem anecdotal, but I am adjacent to player on the leaderboard that I have very frequently been adjacent to or proximal to on the leaderboard for a very long time.  So that suggests to me the leaderboard is still working and there isn't any sort of skew.  I'm not edging ahead of him because I'm really good at beating noobs, and vice versa.

I have posted a conspiracy theory that random opponents in combination with differing set ownership could create leaderboard skew, in some direction or other.  On the one hand, Witch is in the base set, and totally skipping that gets more brutally punished skipping Torturer in a terminal game (and also, there is a higher likelihood of having at least one Witch level brutality each game when drawing without replacement from total owned sets.)

On the other hand, a lot of weak players have mastered some skills specific to the base set but don't do quite as well generalizing those skills to other sets.  This might actually overrule the aforementioned effect.  I played a couple games the other day against someone where we had divergent strategies and my strategy probably had like a 97% chance of coming out on top or somesuch, and he confessed he had just bought prosperity and wasn't very good at it yet.  If he hadn't bought it, the dozens of games the guy probably played with his family playing base would have probably had a better shot against the 4000+ isotropic games I played involving prosperity so I probably would have lost more rating points.  Players willing to spring for the sets in the new client probably fight off the chaff a bit better than those who don't.

Yay, it's what we all dreamed and hoped for, Dominion is finally a pay to win game! But only because of broken matchmaking, really.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.