Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing Worse on the New Client  (Read 3760 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Playing Worse on the New Client
« on: October 27, 2015, 10:37:31 pm »
+1

Maybe this is just me. However I feel that on the new client I don't play as well as I did on Goko. I do silly things sometimes. I sometimes feel as if I am bad as a bot. I think partially this is because I'm not used to the new system. Visually it looks a lot like Goko but feels very different to me for reason. I think another reason for my decline in playing skill is getting matched with many players who likely aren't even aware this forum exists. For example, my opponent opens p ship, so I start doing silly things as well.

Is this happening to anyone else or is this just me? Any advice to help me get back into the groove of things?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Playing Worse on the New Client
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:44:16 pm »

I feel the same. There's definitely a different feel to it for me; probably the differently-colored side log. I also miss being able to search the log, and have been forced into games without the point counter a lot. Perhaps exasperation with all the heated discussion about the client has worn on me too.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 02:00:51 am »

The biggest issue I've had is that either I can't see the # of cards my opponent has in their deck, or my opponent's info bar extends way out onto the screen. I don't understand why they reimplemented that behavior, then made it worse.

The other issues are: harder for me read the log, harder for me to identify shuffles in the log at a glance.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:37:53 am »
+3

For me it's mostly that you grind through most of the games in "against bot" mode.
With high percentage of opponents being not super competitive, your attention is weakened a bit.
I would compare that effect with playing on a beer or three.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 01:59:16 pm »
+2

Maybe the intense CPU activity is causing the room you're in to get very hot, enough to impede cognitive function.  Ever consider that?

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:28:44 pm »
+1

On this front what I really miss is the ability to instantaneously check a prettified log to analyze interesting games. The in-game log is not only unpretty, but it doesn't tell you what hidden cards are (like, uh, your own hand) nor does it help you remember what is in each players' deck at any point of time. So it's pretty useless, not to mention that the web version comes up the day after you played, when you are usually not interested in looking at old logs.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 09:22:46 pm »
+2

On this front what I really miss is the ability to instantaneously check a prettified log to analyze interesting games. The in-game log is not only unpretty, but it doesn't tell you what hidden cards are (like, uh, your own hand) nor does it help you remember what is in each players' deck at any point of time. So it's pretty useless, not to mention that the web version comes up the day after you played, when you are usually not interested in looking at old logs.

The game logs are actually available immediately. On the game results screen click the icon on the lower right that looks like a bulleted list to see the in-game log. The "On The Web" button will take you to the full log. It's not prettified, but whenever the prettifier starts working, I assume you will be able to copy and paste in the log URL.

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 01:08:58 pm »

I never thought I would *miss* Goko. I really hope people have lost their jobs with as badly as Rio Grande has screwed up Dominion. It's just a carnival of errors.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 08:14:12 pm »

What does Rio Grande have to do with any of this?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 08:24:58 pm »
+3

Rio Grande Games published Dominion, a game created by Donald X. They made a contract for an online version, which was first programmed by some owls and now some kids laughing at other kids on the playground. It's a few degrees of separation, but you could say they are involved.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 01:24:07 am »

I had this when switching over from Iso to Goko.
I didn't even remember what the actual card images looked like!

I felt like a fish out of the water and it took a while to feel comfortable again, Salvager helped a lot in that aspect.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.