Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Improving Online Dominion  (Read 52170 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Improving Online Dominion
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2015, 12:59:00 pm »

So you're complaining about the content of posts that you don't even read?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2015, 01:32:01 pm »

Maybe it's just my disinclination to read multiple posts quoting each other that are each practically essays.

That's why we have tl;dr; gifs.  Good god man there's a wealth of internet to choose from!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2015, 03:23:32 pm »
+2

How can people who enjoy a game with cards like Saboteur and Sea Hag not enjoy tearing eachother apart on internet forums.  I mean, really.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2015, 03:48:49 pm »
+1

Lucifer loves everybody! He treats us all with the same amount of love and understanding... Why the hell we are not the satanic community yet?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2015, 03:50:07 pm »
+1

Lucifer loves everybody! He treats us all with the same amount of love and understanding... Why the hell we are not the satanic community yet?

Lots of things treat us all with the same amount of love and understanding; e.g., an amoeba. 

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:20 pm »
+1

Why does Black Market show me more love than it shows to Adam Horton, though??

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2015, 04:00:46 pm »

Why does Black Market show me more love than it shows to Adam Horton, though??

It's mutual.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »

Lots of things treat us all with the same amount of love and understanding; e.g., an amoeba.

Amoeba doesn't grin sarcastically and sexually to you from the dark corner, that's why.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2015, 11:45:08 pm »
+3

Did anyone out there ask MF if they could contribute in a constructive way towards Online Dominion by asking if MF would make a public-facing API or log file interface or something so that the changes made by the dll patch would be scalable, sustainable, etc?

publish an API for us to write our own bots.  (Note: I realize that would almost definitely allow us to make alternate user interfaces as well as bots, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.)

But skimming the forums, I assume they didn't do it :)  Also seems like disappearing from here wasn't such a bad thing, but I guess I'll find out for sure if/when I really come back.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2015, 09:41:06 pm »

How about we stop arguing and play Dominion  ;)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »

If we're still improving Dominion Online, I would recommend that we make the sets cheaper. A lot of people don't have the money to want to buy Dominion online sets. Personally, I worry that I won't get value out of the online cards because MF could crash or something. Even though this forum probably has little to no power to make this happen, I have been playing a lot of base cards games when I join randomly. I don't mind playing with the base cards, but a lot more people had expansions back on Goko. Maybe it's just because MF is new and people want to decide if it's worth the investment? That's my two cents.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2015, 09:18:17 pm »
+3

If we're still improving Dominion Online, I would recommend that we make the sets cheaper. A lot of people don't have the money to want to buy Dominion online sets. Personally, I worry that I won't get value out of the online cards because MF could crash or something. Even though this forum probably has little to no power to make this happen, I have been playing a lot of base cards games when I join randomly. I don't mind playing with the base cards, but a lot more people had expansions back on Goko. Maybe it's just because MF is new and people want to decide if it's worth the investment? That's my two cents.

I don't quite understand what you're saying here. Is it that MF has more freeloaders than Goko used to have, and being one of the freeloaders yourself that is annoying?

I do agree that MFs pricing is quite absurd and very much hurting Dominion Online. But as it stands my biggest problem is that about 15% of my games don't make it to the finish line.
Join the Dominion League!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2015, 09:24:19 pm »

I don't quite understand what you're saying here. Is it that MF has more freeloaders than Goko used to have, and being one of the freeloaders yourself that is annoying?

I do agree that MFs pricing is quite absurd and very much hurting Dominion Online. But as it stands my biggest problem is that about 15% of my games don't make it to the finish line.
I'm saying I wouldn't be a freeloader if the expansions were a tad cheaper.

And try the iPad/Kindle version, the only reason my games don't finish are if I resign or if my opponent does.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2015, 09:38:55 pm »
+1

And try the iPad/Kindle version, the only reason my games don't finish are if I resign or if my opponent does.

I have played some games on my tablet, but it takes so much longer to do so, both for lag and "clicking". Not to mention the too-many-cards-in-hand probably being worse. Its playable, but I would never use it with a computer available.

-Stef-

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2015, 10:34:30 pm »

Yes I can understand that. I paid around $45 for my account and at the time I considered it quite much for something where I wasn't really sure what I was going to get.
Man, a monthly fee would be so much better, except when they also think up of a ridiculous prize for that.
It would also give them a very healthy incentive to consider things like these stability issues actually important, as I certainly would cancel my subscription for next month.

I know not everyone has the same problems as I do. I could try randomly buying a new computer, or even a new kind of computer. But seriously is that what its coming down to?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2015, 10:40:55 pm »
+1

Yes I can understand that. I paid around $45 for my account and at the time I considered it quite much for something where I wasn't really sure what I was going to get.
Man, a monthly fee would be so much better, except when they also think up of a ridiculous prize for that.
It would also give them a very healthy incentive to consider things like these stability issues actually important, as I certainly would cancel my subscription for next month.

I know not everyone has the same problems as I do. I could try randomly buying a new computer, or even a new kind of computer. But seriously is that what its coming down to?
Nowadays they're $85 for all the sets, and (maybe just for me) it's hard to spend $85 dollars on a website. I'd rather have $85 worth of Dominion cards in my hands, knowing that I have them. And I didn't realize the problem was your computer, not MF.

-Stef-

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2015, 10:44:30 pm »
+2

Nowadays they're $85 for all the sets, and (maybe just for me) it's hard to spend $85 dollars on a website. I'd rather have $85 worth of Dominion cards in my hands, knowing that I have them. And I didn't realize the problem was your computer, not MF.

I never said the problem was my computer. My computer doesn't have problems with anything except for MF, and I've heard some other people that have similar issues with MF as I do.
However, I also seem to be one of the unlucky ones, as not many people have as many problems with it as I do. Or maybe they just got really tired of complaining. Or they never were into dominion as much as I was, and simply gave up on it. I just don't know, this is all assumptions.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2015, 05:39:13 am »

I have played some games on my tablet, but it takes so much longer to do so, both for lag and "clicking". Not to mention the too-many-cards-in-hand probably being worse. Its playable, but I would never use it with a computer available.

Are you using a Android tablet? Because I've been finding the iPad version OK ...

I won't say many good things about the MF version of Dominion but one good thing for me has been the release of the iPad version. I've played Dominion pretty much exclusively on a iPad for the last couple of years and the iOS version that came out a month or so again has significantly improved things for me. No crashes. No lag. Able to see how many victory point and coins I have for the first time in years. Able to open chat ("GG y'all").

Now if they could only manage to get Adventures programmed sometime this decade my only issues will be the amateur-hour art direction and the clunky UI.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2015, 11:40:32 am »

I never said the problem was my computer. My computer doesn't have problems with anything except for MF, and I've heard some other people that have similar issues with MF as I do.
However, I also seem to be one of the unlucky ones, as not many people have as many problems with it as I do. Or maybe they just got really tired of complaining. Or they never were into dominion as much as I was, and simply gave up on it. I just don't know, this is all assumptions.
I was in a similar position once. I was one of a few people who simply could not run the MF/Goko program. They eventually made some big change that happened to fix it (prior to their rewrite). They guessed that it involved some outdated OS thing that it wasn't letting me update.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2015, 03:43:36 pm »

Are you using a Android tablet? Because I've been finding the iPad version OK ...

I won't say many good things about the MF version of Dominion but one good thing for me has been the release of the iPad version. I've played Dominion pretty much exclusively on a iPad for the last couple of years and the iOS version that came out a month or so again has significantly improved things for me. No crashes. No lag. Able to see how many victory point and coins I have for the first time in years. Able to open chat ("GG y'all").

Now if they could only manage to get Adventures programmed sometime this decade my only issues will be the amateur-hour art direction and the clunky UI.

Yeah, never got around to trying it on one of the ipads we have at work. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was significantly better.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2015, 05:32:35 pm »
+1

Probably seemed that way when you paid it without being sure what you'd get, but in retrospect that $45 has gotten you how many months of play?  For me it's probably 1.5-2 years, or $2-3/month and getting cheaper the more months I play.  Probably less than a subscription would've been.  You're certainly right about subscription revenue providing an incentive to improve the game, but to some extent new-buyer revenue could do that too, so I guess maybe MF thinks they can attract enough new buyers to maintain the game long term?  Who knows what their business people think, but at the price I paid, it's hard to knock the deal I've gotten so far. 

For improving the online play experience, I still like something I threw out back when MF asked for feature requests on these forums: open the client source.  Most games, I wouldn't bother suggesting such a thing, but this community has already proven it will contribute, see Salvager and arguably SCSN's mod to the new client.  I'm not saying use a do-what-you-want OSS license like *GPL or Apache; it's reasonable for MF to want more control than that.  I'm also not suggesting they open everything; give would-be contributors the front end, not the back end.  We had that pre-Unity since the html and javascript was right there if one cared to read it, and the biggest result was Salvager.  Maybe given the chance, we would do something that good again. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.