Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: buying a card  (Read 8705 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: buying a card
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 09:52:47 am »

I think it should go like this:

- you buy Sir Destry, losing $5
- on-buy triggers before gaining (and I believe gaining is the thing which moves the card): your opponent gains Sir Destry.
- you try to gain Sir Destry, failing to do so because you lost track

This is mostly right, but not quite right—the lose-track rule isn't what causes you to fail to gain Sir Destry, it's just the fact that there isn't a Sir Destry available in the supply to gain at the moment.

Actually, you could just gain another Knight. The card in the OP says "...you gain an attack card," not that you gain a copy of that attack card. That means you could gain a Cutpurse, a Goons, or another Knight, assuming those are in the Supply.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 09:58:05 am »
+1

I think it should go like this:

- you buy Sir Destry, losing $5
- on-buy triggers before gaining (and I believe gaining is the thing which moves the card): your opponent gains Sir Destry.
- you try to gain Sir Destry, failing to do so because you lost track

This is mostly right, but not quite right—the lose-track rule isn't what causes you to fail to gain Sir Destry, it's just the fact that there isn't a Sir Destry available in the supply to gain at the moment.

Actually, you could just gain another Knight. The card in the OP says "...you gain an attack card," not that you gain a copy of that attack card. That means you could gain a Cutpurse, a Goons, or another Knight, assuming those are in the Supply.

No, the person who has the card in play, the person who gets to "gain an attack card", DOES get Sir Destry. It's the person who bought Sir Destry that fails to get anything.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 03:49:36 pm »
+1

I'm trying write the dominion rules down in Java, and one of the funny things is that I come to realize there is a lot I don't know.

Check out the rules FAQ that I compiled and put on BGG (in my sig). It answers a lot of questions (hopefully all of them). I'm now completing a PDF document with all rules and rulings that will hopefully make this more readable. The idea is that it contains all the basic rules in a friendly way, but also all the advanced rules and rulings.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.