Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Who do you think will win the tournament?

olneyce
- 13 (14.9%)
RisingJaguar
- 14 (16.1%)
manzi
- 19 (21.8%)
WanderingWinder
- 41 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2011 DominionStrategy.com Championships: Final Four  (Read 50930 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
2011 DominionStrategy.com Championships: Final Four
« on: January 11, 2012, 06:31:57 pm »

Over the next several days, we'll be posting interviews with each of the Final Four, gathering their thoughts on Dominion, boardgaming, strategy, and their most feared opponent(s).

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 DominionStrategy.com Championships: Final Four
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:01:09 am »

I hope this is the place to go, but I just wanted to thank for the great idea for the interviews. They first 2 were fun to read and I'm looking forward for the next 2 interviews. I'm also looking forward to view the videos of the coming matches on YT. And then I take the opportunity to wish those 4 players good luck. May the best one win.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:10:32 am »
+1

I would really like to thank theory and rrenaud for making this tournament happen!

I know organizing and facilitating all of this was not easy.  I definitely look forward to future tournaments!

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:24:08 am »

To be fair, theory did approximately all the work. 

Other than making me review 100+ kingdom sets, that's actually kind of a pain ;P.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:47 pm »
+2

Haha, I guess all betting WW because he has most posts here and published some gameplay commentaries :-)

Go RisingJaguar!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:16:57 pm »
+1

Haha, I guess all betting WW because he has most posts here and published some gameplay commentaries :-)

Go RisingJaguar!

What a bold guess there :p

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:30:02 pm »

His lead is shrinking.  For a while he was polling over 70%.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:30:27 pm »

Go RisingJaguar!
Thanks for the support! =)

I haven't voted yet, but if I did... it would be for WW as well sadly.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:37:28 pm »

I assume I'm leading largely because I'm highest-rated. Also, it looks like a huge lead, bigger than it should, because it's just a 'who's most likely' thing. Like, I voted for me, but I'd only put my chances at ~1 in 3.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 02:13:49 pm »

WW is extremely solid, but the final games will be hand made kingdoms that will probably not favor Big Money (although I believe at least a few should be included). If I would still be in the tournament I wouldn't like my chances  :D I seem to remember WW saying BM is his specialty...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:16:39 pm »

Currently, there is really nothing to base your vote on other than posts or ranking. I've only played RisingJaguar and manzi once each, and both have sub-25 post counts here, so I don't really know anything about them. Maybe after the interviews (or maybe even if there was a set of "highlights" of the games they played in the tournament thus far), it will be easier to make a slightly more informed vote.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 02:17:48 pm »

Hence why I'm doing it with rrenaud: he is the engine representative on the committee and I am the BM rep.

FWIW, I think you can have interesting kingdoms where some kind of money strategy is best.  But obviously there will be no trivial solutions.

One question I cut out of the interview was whether you preferred BM or engines.  First, it's largely inferrable from the "favorite" and "least favorite" cards question, and second, people might be hesitant to answer truthfully.  And as Magnus Carlsen tells us: "Having preferences means having weaknesses".

Currently, there is really nothing to base your vote on other than posts or ranking. I've only played RisingJaguar and manzi once each, and both have sub-25 post counts here, so I don't really know anything about them. Maybe after the interviews (or maybe even if there was a set of "highlights" of the games they played in the tournament thus far), it will be easier to make a slightly more informed vote.
You can change your vote at any time.  I considered doing "highlights", but alas, it turns out "Dominion SportsCenter" might just be the single least interesting thing in the world.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:20:37 pm »

WW is extremely solid, but the final games will be hand made kingdoms that will probably not favor Big Money (although I believe at least a few should be included). If I would still be in the tournament I wouldn't like my chances  :D I seem to remember WW saying BM is his specialty...

WW is good at Big Money, but he's even better at alternate green cards.  Gardens, Duke, Silk Road games are his real specialty.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 02:39:43 pm »

Just curious...

Is the bronze medal games going to have the kingdoms that missed out of the finals? Or will it be similar to the other hundreds played during this tournament?

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 02:58:06 pm »

WW is good at Big Money, but he's even better at alternate green cards.  Gardens, Duke, Silk Road games are his real specialty.

I agree! He also makes IGG games seem fun!

I was also revisiting games, and came across this.  This pretty sums me up in a nutshell (and partly WW as well)? WW = correct strategy 95% of the time... Me = Shenanigans... I played poorly in the last couple turns, pretty sure I misused my cards, and should've realized walled village is a horrible village for this... but I still like my strategy though!

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111023-133606-ef85fef9.html

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

Good question.  I didn't actually even plan for a Bronze game, but it could be a nice seeding mechanism for the next tournament we host (i.e., 1-2-3 get pre-seeded or something).

Probably random kingdoms.  I'm going to release the entire list of kingdoms and our comments afterwards anyway, so it's not like there's a huge benefit to seeing more kingdoms.  But I can be persuaded either way. 

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:25 pm »

I would agree with this. Before our quarterfinal match, I searched out a few of WW's posts on those cards, specifically to shrink the gap between us in that area. I got lazy though and didn't look very hard, but I definitely had the same thought as you.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 03:09:43 pm »

My motive for wanting those kingdoms in the bronze medal match is just to play some really fun kingdom with a really skilled opponent (if I lose to manzi).  So if there's a list of 7 "missed-the-cut" kingdoms lined up and ready to go, it would be nice! I'm sure it would be a lot of work to coordinate either you or rrenaud for the game though. 

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 04:55:40 pm »
+4

I know this is probably unreal to find time for, but...how about an exibition 4player game?  ;D

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 04:58:25 pm »

I voted manzi based purely on the fact that he has never been pushed to a game 7 yet.

Also, just noticed that manzi is the only one of the final four that I've ever played against. And I won, handily. ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 05:02:09 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 05:21:12 pm »

I voted manzi based purely on the fact that he has never been pushed to a game 7 yet.

Also, just noticed that manzi is the only one of the final four that I've ever played against. And I won, handily. ;D

I voted for WW. Then I looked and he is the only one I've played among the top4 and I won that game. By the time we played that game I think I was around level 15...maybe I'll change my vote  ;D

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 05:00:47 am »

I would agree with this. Before our quarterfinal match, I searched out a few of WW's posts on those cards, specifically to shrink the gap between us in that area. I got lazy though and didn't look very hard, but I definitely had the same thought as you.
And Copper. Don't forget Copper.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 05:07:32 am »
+2

In the final 8 so far, all matches have been won by the person listed nearer the top. I'm going with olneyce.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 10:30:51 am »
+3

In the final 8 so far, all matches have been won by the person listed nearer the top. I'm going with olneyce.

Indeed, it's hard to compete with top pixel advantage!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 11:45:45 am »

I voted for manzi, but only because I played him once and he utterly destroyed me.  XD  His record in the tournament has been impressive as well.  I think it's anyone's game, though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 24 queries.