Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Harvest Queen (a Cornucopian TR)  (Read 2149 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Harvest Queen (a Cornucopian TR)
« on: October 18, 2015, 11:51:16 pm »

The other discussion about TR variants reminded me that, way back in 2013, I submitted a card to LastFootNote's Cornucopia design contest that made it to the finals (with some help from LFN himself, since he liked the idea of the original version but not the implementation, and gave some feedback that greatly improved it). Here's the card:

Harvest Queen
Types: Action
Cost: $5
Set aside any number of differently named Action cards from your hand. Play them in any order.

For completeness, I'll also mention the winner of the contest, which used a very similar idea but different execution:

Storyteller
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Card. If this is the first time you played a Storyteller this turn, +1 Action.

While this is in play, when you play an Action card that you don't already have a copy of in play, +1 Action.

Clarification: The first Storyteller you play only gives you +1 Action, not +2 Actions, because it wasn't in play when you played it.

And, of course, there's also now Champion, which does the same kind of thing but doesn't need to be played every turn and doesn't care about how unique said cards are (but is also a lot harder to acquire).

The feedback for Harvest Queen was, to summarise, that it's pretty neat but probably a bit weak. While I don't disagree, I think that it has potential to be somewhat devastating in the right kind of engine. Unfortunately, I don't have a regular Dominion group so I have no chance to playtest it to tweak it. Does anyone have any thoughts on where this card sits, power-wise, and how it might be improved? Is it just a case of making it $4 or do there need to be some bonuses involved?

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Queen (a Cornucopian TR)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 12:09:01 am »

"Any number" seems crazy. I don't know if it needs it to be powerful enough, but I would hate to sit through someone else's turn while they play this card (probably multiple times, since you can Harvest Queen a Harvest Queen). I know plenty of Dominion cards encourage drawing and playing your whole deck every turn (Scrying Pool, ahem), but it's not my idea of fun.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 03:53:41 am »

I like "Storyteller", although it could just be +1 Card, +1 Action.

Harvest Queen is super situational, and it's worse than "+1 Action for each unique Action you have in your hand". "+3 Actions" on its own would probably be fine at $2, and this card is somewhat similar.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 05:36:53 am »

Harvest Queen is super situational, and it's worse than "+1 Action for each unique Action you have in your hand".
Committing yourself to play the set aside cards can be worse than merely getting the actions but it can also be better in the presence of Library or Watchtower.

The feedback for Harvest Queen was, to summarise, that it's pretty neat but probably a bit weak. While I don't disagree, I think that it has potential to be somewhat devastating in the right kind of engine. Unfortunately, I don't have a regular Dominion group so I have no chance to playtest it to tweak it. Does anyone have any thoughts on where this card sits, power-wise, and how it might be improved? Is it just a case of making it $4 or do there need to be some bonuses involved?
As NoMoreFun said, +3 Actions is probably a good 2$ so 5$ is definitely too much for this card. Villages without the '+1 card' wanna be paired with terminal draws and in most decks there are 1 or 2 of them so you gotta buy several of them so Harvest Queen becomes weaker.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:53:10 am »

A little more than a year ago, I made a card that did the same thing as this, but didn't require each set aside card to be unique, and it also gave +1 Card. Even then, it was still too weak for $5.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 10:24:06 am »

I made one like that with +1 card for $3, and it wasn't too good - if you play it as your first action and only have draw cards in your hand, it's terminal, and so it only really works in a deck where you already can draw your deck minus payload or one where you've trashed down and have lots of cantrips and draw.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.