Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Throne Room Variant: Needs a name  (Read 4169 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
New Throne Room Variant: Needs a name
« on: October 17, 2015, 06:33:26 pm »

Finally thought of a name for this one. It still has yet to be playtested, though. Anyway, here it is:

Crown Jewels:
$2
----------------------------------------------------
Immediately after resolving an Action card, if it's still in play, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, play that Action again and if it costs up to $4, gain a copy of it. Discard this when you discard the Action from play.
Cost: $5
Treasure - Reaction

EDIT 1: Removed Treasure-throning ability.

EDIT 2: Reworded the reaction.

EDIT 3: Added another clause to make it easier to keep track of Duration cards.

EDIT 4: Dropped gaining cost limit to $4.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:38:59 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: New Throne Room Variant: Needs a name
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 07:06:39 pm »

I assume you don't get the $2 if you choose the reaction? I don't know if it needs the $2 at all, it only makes it confusing and most of the time, you will be able to throne a Silver anyway.

This definitely runs into problems as it is not clear when it stops being the card you play it as... if I use it on Prince and set it aside, do I get the bonus for the rest of the game? And such things.

I would consider this more of a Band of Misfits variant than a Throne Room variant. Overall, it seems a tad too strong. I would make it less flexible so that you have to think more about how to best use it. Maybe get rid of the treasure throning ability.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 07:18:57 pm »

I assume you don't get the $2 if you choose the reaction? I don't know if it needs the $2 at all, it only makes it confusing and most of the time, you will be able to throne a Silver anyway.

This definitely runs into problems as it is not clear when it stops being the card you play it as... if I use it on Prince and set it aside, do I get the bonus for the rest of the game? And such things.

I would consider this more of a Band of Misfits variant than a Throne Room variant. Overall, it seems a tad too strong. I would make it less flexible so that you have to think more about how to best use it. Maybe get rid of the treasure throning ability.

Took out the treasure throning ability. It can only be used on Actions now.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 08:31:50 am »

You could remove a lot of rules confusions by saying "discard this to play it again" instead of "play this as if it were that card".

This is like a cross between Disciple and Royal Carriage I guess? Much weaker than Royal Carriage in that you have to collide the cards; but on the other hand it gains you cards.

Only gaining cards that are $5 or more is a little weird; those are the cards that are good to gain anyway. If it only gained cards that are $4 or less then that would be a more natural restriction. As it is, the restriction doesn't lower the power by all that much I think.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 11:30:20 am »

You could remove a lot of rules confusions by saying "discard this to play it again" instead of "play this as if it were that card".

This is like a cross between Disciple and Royal Carriage I guess? Much weaker than Royal Carriage in that you have to collide the cards; but on the other hand it gains you cards.

Only gaining cards that are $5 or more is a little weird; those are the cards that are good to gain anyway. If it only gained cards that are $4 or less then that would be a more natural restriction. As it is, the restriction doesn't lower the power by all that much I think.

1: Yeah, I think I'll do that.
2: Yep, that was pretty much exactly my line of thought when making the card.
3: I think you misread it; it says "up to $5," so you only gain cards that are $5 or less, not $5 or more.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:40:12 pm by Gubump »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 05:56:17 pm »

I think this is pretty clearly way too strong for $5. Barring ≥$6 Actions, which are rare, it's better than Disciple, which you usually spend 3 shuffles acquiring. Don't be fooled by Disciple "costing" $5! In reality it's stronger than that.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 07:13:44 pm »

I think this is pretty clearly way too strong for $5. Barring ≥$6 Actions, which are rare, it's better than Disciple, which you usually spend 3 shuffles acquiring. Don't be fooled by Disciple "costing" $5! In reality it's stronger than that.

I have come to believe that costs on Travellors mostly have the purpose of providing an order. This way you don't have to know Warrior comes after Treasure Hunter (i think the Peasant line is easier to remember), you just look at which costs one more. I think Fugitive and the fact that Donald deemed its effect too strong for a normal $4 allready tells it.

About the card name, Throne Room variants are usually connected to royalty and rulership, usually places. Crown Jewels works nicely if you want it to be a Treasure, i guess. If it's an action, i actively discourage the name.

Other than that, how about something like Representative? It's not a place, but fits the function nicely.

Edit: Oh, i see you allready decided. I might use the name myself, then...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:15:47 pm by Asper »

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 09:51:15 pm »

Speaking of Throne Room variants, this seems to be an unused game design space. How about a Throne Room attack? Or Throne Room Duration?

Convoy Ambush
Action
$5

You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play it twice. Each other player with 4 or more card in hand discards a copy of it, or reveals a hand with no copies of it.

---
Royal Drawbridge
Duration - Action
$5
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play it. Set this and that Action card aside. If you do, play it at the start of your next turn.

mameluke

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 09:56:04 pm »

I'm not sure what the Throne Room Duration should cost. Is it even better than actual Throne Room at $4? Maybe it should cost $6 and play the card twice this turn, once at the beginning of the next.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 10:22:10 pm »

Indeed I misread it. But I think it should be up to $4; the vast majority of powerful cards cost $5 anyway; restricting the 6 or mores doesn't change the card much.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 10:56:58 pm »
+1

I'm not sure what the Throne Room Duration should cost. Is it even better than actual Throne Room at $4? Maybe it should cost $6 and play the card twice this turn, once at the beginning of the next.

From the secret history of Seaside:

Quote from: Donald X.
- There was a now-and-later Throne Room variant. Play an Action, play it again next turn. It was both confusing and weak. What if you use it on a duration card? How long does it stay on the table? It could have said "non-duration," but that's pretty sad in a set with 8 duration cards. And did I mention it was weak? It left before development started.

No explanation on why it was weak, though it's probably because you'd usually prefer to play a card a second time this turn rather than once on the next turn.

Your 2-now-1-later idea might work out better, but it's still confusing with Durations.  Could be worth trying anyway though!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:59:25 pm by eHalcyon »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 11:03:54 pm »

You could do delayed KC.

And enjoy people getting super confused when they delayed-KC a delayed-KC.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

mameluke

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 11:25:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure people IRL games get KC-KC-Wharf, draw another KC, etc. confused as it is. Sometimes I think Dominion is better played online for these sorts of mechanics.

TR 2-1 wouldn't be so confusing. But yes, what do you do with durations? Nothing different. If you TR 2-1 a Merchant ship, you get +$4 on this turn, +$6 next, and +$2 on the third turn. The Merchant ship only gets discarded during Clean Up of the third turn.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 11:38:18 pm »

Would dropping the cost limit to $4 or less fix it?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.903 seconds with 21 queries.