Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: hasn't ranking the cards just been a goddamn blast  (Read 21510 times)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
Re: hasn't ranking the cards just been a goddamn blast
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2015, 01:10:33 pm »

while we're just fuckin slamming into these rankings lets go ahead and imagine: how would you rank gold and silver?
for me: silver is #17 in the threes (between plan and guide)
gold is #14 in the sixplusses (between hunting grounds and peddler)

I would put Silver at #26 out of 35, just after, uh, Masterpiece. Well that just makes too much sense.
Gold would be #15 out of 18.
I haven't ranked Adventures so I include the "out of" numbers.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2015, 07:57:47 pm »
+1

while we're just fuckin slamming into these rankings lets go ahead and imagine: how would you rank gold and silver?
for me: silver is #17 in the threes (between plan and guide)
gold is #14 in the sixplusses (between hunting grounds and peddler)
I'm not sure about Gold, but Silver would be No.1 without any doubt. Obviously, it is a powerhouse on money boards; but also, on zany engine or sloggy boards, getting those 5$ cards is the crucial key to winning. And most of the times, silver is part of the best way to get them.
 None of us is a big silver fan, but this is because it's always there. If it wasn't, we would miss it like hell in many games, and a player who never gets Silver would have a tough time against Lord Bottington on a regular basis. I wouldn't say the same about, e.g., masquerade.
what makes me feel weird about that is, fishing village is uh usually a better card than silver, which is less cool than masquerade, which in turn risks becoming something of a garbage factory if you can't use it with silver or tournament or something. i'm realizing the problem with ranking the two, that other cards are ranked in the context that they are always there. in the silverless kingdom, my top three threes would probably be, like, fishing village, steward (gives me two whole dollars? sign me up!) and then silver.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2015, 11:18:22 am »

schadd: wow, hunting grounds & peddler that low? granted, i'm not ranking adventures, but i feel like there's plenty of other stuff i'd have below them in a heartbeat.  adventurer, farmland, bank, harem, nobles, expand...those all seem pretty clear-cut to me.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2015, 07:33:52 pm »

Ambassador can't be better than Chapel. A deck w/ Chapel doesn't care whether it receives estates and copper as they will be gone within  a turn. Also opening double ambassador hurts your early game economy much more than chapel/silver.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2015, 08:00:34 pm »
+1

Ambassador can't be better than Chapel. A deck w/ Chapel doesn't care whether it receives estates and copper as they will be gone within  a turn. Also opening double ambassador hurts your early game economy much more than chapel/silver.

I don't think you can rank things on how they perform against each other. There can be paper-rock-scissors type loops. Also, I don't buy a second Ambassador against an opponent that ignores it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2015, 08:12:50 pm »
+2

Just because Chapel is a decent counter to Ambassador, it doesn't mean it's better than Ambassador. If you're playing a strategy that doesn't necessarily need trashing, ignoring Chapel is sometimes fine, but many of those strategies are still going to have problems if they ignore Ambassador while the opponent goes for it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:13:57 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2015, 08:23:54 pm »
+1

Just because Chapel is a decent counter to Ambassador, it doesn't mean it's better than Ambassador. If you're playing a strategy that doesn't necessarily need trashing, ignoring Chapel is sometimes fine, but many of those strategies are still going to have problems if they ignore Ambassador while the opponent goes for it.
that, and ambassador is suited quite nicely to the post-thinning environment of junking, where any other junker will give one or two bags of garbage at a time and ambassador take one or two out at a time much the same. that, and, there's nothing better than buying a curse to send out with your ambassadors, other than, like, true love and finding a new pizza place that is slightly more suited to the kind of pizza you like
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2015, 09:54:29 pm »

Reasons for chapel
  • Thins faster than ambassador
  • Better when trashing is essential
  • Costs 2$
  • Shelters
Reasons for ambassador
  • Non-engines
  • Shutting down BM
  • Slows opponents
I hope you continue to critique my posts.
Overall I think engines benefit more from chapel than ambassador.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:16:20 am by Limetime »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.