Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thank You, Salvagers  (Read 10473 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Thank You, Salvagers
« on: October 14, 2015, 04:08:32 pm »
+62

With the end of our favorite Dominion client also comes the end of our favorite browser extension. Its name sparked controversy; its rejected tagline, making Goko barely playable, proved prophetic.

Goko Salvager was there for us to brighten our darkest moments. It was there when the log was a hidden and unreadable mess; it was there when the chat window popped up over our hands; when we were forced to scan dozens of lobbies for an appropriate game; when the ratings were laughable and the kingdom selection was primitive; and it was there when we were faced with the maddening horror of having to play a single game without our beloved servant—the VP counter. In short: whenever we needed something, Goko Salvager was there to provide it.

I'm confident that I speak on behalf of hundreds of people—some vocal, many more lurking in the silent shadows—when I offer a warm round of applause culminating in a standing ovation to...

1wheel

amalloy

michaeljb

nutki

philosophyguy

ragingduckd

serakfalcon

theblankman

yed

They say you can't polish a turd. You proved them wrong.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:07:26 pm by SheCantSayNo »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Thank You, Salvagers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 04:10:07 pm »

And in case I forgot anyone, let me know and (s)he'll be readily included.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »
+8

And in case I forgot anyone, let me know and (s)he'll be readily included.

I like to think I was the inspiration for all the work.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:10:39 pm »
+7

Goko Salvager was there for us to brighten our darkest moments. It was there when the log was a hidden and unreadable mess; it was there when the chat window popped up over our hands; when we were forced to scan dozens of lobbies for an appropriate game; when the ratings were laughable and the kingdom selection was primitive; and it was there when we were faced with the maddening horror of having to play a single game without our beloved servant—the VP counter. In short: whenever we needed something, Goko Salvager was there to provide it.

Goko Salvager was also there when our avatars were uninspired and barely distinguishable; it was there when we needed Masterpiece overpays to resolve this century, it was there when we wanted to see our entire hand in humongous engines; most importantly, it was also there when we needed to blacklist tgorm.

Fun fact: 9% of all blacklist entries are tgorm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 11:25:56 am »
+6

What does Dominion Salvager have to do with our favorite Dominion client? It didn't interact with Iso in any way...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:40:06 am »
+1

What does Dominion Salvager have to do with our favorite Dominion client? It didn't interact with Iso in any way...

Except in spirit.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 07:19:45 pm »
+1

Except in spirit.

That explains IsotropicWasBetter's avatar.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 04:02:43 am »
+8

Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 01:41:12 pm »
+6

when we were faced with the maddening horror of having to play a single game without our beloved servant—the VP counter.

But... but... VP counter isn't true Dominion.*

*Please don't kill me... I'm just joking around and have no intention of starting this thread again.  VP counter is perfectly fine and makes for very intense competitive Dominion and there are times when I enjoy both with and without the counter
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 02:31:26 pm »
+3

Nope, those are fighting words.

Inboxing you some harsh PMs about you being an effin casual Concentration and Candyland scrub, be sure to report them to theory so I can get banned.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 05:10:34 pm »

when we were faced with the maddening horror of having to play a single game without our beloved servant—the VP counter.

But... but... VP counter isn't true Dominion.

The shark bait is biting.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 02:19:12 pm »

"With the end of our favorite Dominion client also comes the end of our favorite browser extension"

Goko +salvager is better than iso was? 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 02:22:45 pm »

"With the end of our favorite Dominion client also comes the end of our favorite browser extension"

Yes.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 02:23:14 pm »
+2

No.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 02:32:44 pm »

They both did some things better than the other. I say iso > Goko + Salvager just because of the ability to rejoin games on disconnect (and just general stability issues, Goko dropped so many games for me over the course of its run). Plus Baker alarm!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 02:43:31 pm »
+2

They both did some things better than the other. I say iso > Goko + Salvager just because of the ability to rejoin games on disconnect (and just general stability issues, Goko dropped so many games for me over the course of its run). Plus Baker alarm!

What's Baker alarm?

I think it's just a matter of opinion and what you were looking to get from online Dominion. I get why some people would prefer Goko+Salvager. But for me, I just don't care about the visuals; or the art; or the "feel" of being more like physically playing Dominion. I cared about the ability to simply and quickly play a streamlined version of Dominion that took little-to-no effort to interact with. No load times, no fumbling around with dragging cards around (I didn't like the "reordering" cards in Iso that made you drag; but it was only on a couple cards). Less chance of misclicks because of the ability to undo as well as the ability to select everything you were going to trash/discard and then click to do it. No flipping through multiple pages to see the cards you can buy (did Salvager fix that?).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 02:50:05 pm »

What's Baker alarm?

In a board with Baker on isotropic, the text log shows "BAKER ALERT!" or some such in bright red as soon as the game starts, to remind you that you have a Coin token.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »

What's Baker alarm?

In a board with Baker on isotropic, the text log shows "BAKER ALERT!" or some such in bright red as soon as the game starts, to remind you that you have a Coin token.

Should be an actual auditory alarm, like those that cooking timers make.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 03:07:04 pm »
+1

What's Baker alarm?

I'm still waiting to get the iso pictures for Adventures to put up on the wiki.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 03:15:50 pm »

I regret not responding to the question of "was Goko better than Iso?" with "depends on the board." No, seriously. On a board with Young Witch, Colony, and Spy, Goko was terrible due to a second page of Kingdom cards, Estate being moved to a bad place, and dragging cards, respectively. On a board with Cartographer, Iso was annoying with due to the drag-and-drop ordering of cards.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 03:19:48 pm »

On a board with Cartographer, Iso was annoying with due to the drag-and-drop ordering of cards.

What would you have preferred? I like that interface better than Goko/Making Fun's implementation of "first card you click is on the bottom; last on top". I mean it's technically correct, but very easy to mess up.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 03:20:36 pm »
+1

Cartographer on iso used checkboxes, I think the only dragging you had to do was with placing Stash anywhere in your deck.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 03:23:05 pm »
+1

On a board with Cartographer, Iso was annoying with due to the drag-and-drop ordering of cards.

What would you have preferred? I like that interface better than Goko/Making Fun's implementation of "first card you click is on the bottom; last on top". I mean it's technically correct, but very easy to mess up.

Well one of the main reasons I didn't like the dragging in that case is that you couldn't do it on the iPad; so playing on the iPad actually could give you an in-game disadvantage. But in general, I don't see what's wrong with "click to put a card back on top" one at a time. And such a thing should have an undo button, just like playing treasures in Iso did, to prevent misclicks. Actually, didn't Iso already use numbered checkboxes in other places to order things? You would click the checkboxes you wanted to click, in order, then click the button to confirm. Can't remember which functionality used that, but it was good.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 03:24:15 pm »

Cartographer on iso used checkboxes, I think the only dragging you had to do was with placing Stash anywhere in your deck.

There were 2 or 3 cards that used the dragging, I incorrectly thought Cartographer was one. I guess Cartographer is what I was trying to think of in my reply to LastFootnote just now. I believe Scout used dragging. Oracle too I think.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 03:27:45 pm »

There were 2 or 3 cards that used the dragging, I incorrectly thought Cartographer was one. I guess Cartographer is what I was trying to think of in my reply to LastFootnote just now. I believe Scout used dragging. Oracle too I think.

No Cartographer used dragging AND checkboxes.  You checked which cards you wanted to discard, then you dragged to reorder what remained.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.