Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Base: Act 1 - Game 18  (Read 14634 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Base: Act 1 - Game 18
« on: October 13, 2015, 04:32:25 pm »

Okay seriously what the fuck.  You start with an Adventurer, your opponent starts with a Witch.  How the hell are you supposed to deal with that kind of handicap?

EDIT: Okay, I got it.  You have to have some weird engine thing so you can play more than one Witch per turn, and get Remodels and Golds to turn into Provinces.  In any case, that game is a nightmare.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:43:36 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Base: Act 1 - Game 18
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:23:26 pm »

Okay seriously what the fuck.  You start with an Adventurer, your opponent starts with a Witch.  How the hell are you supposed to deal with that kind of handicap?

EDIT: Okay, I got it.  You have to have some weird engine thing so you can play more than one Witch per turn, and get Remodels and Golds to turn into Provinces.  In any case, that game is a nightmare.
It used to be harder! Possibly it should be easier given that it's in base set Act 1.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:45:34 pm »

It used to be harder! Possibly it should be easier given that it's in base set Act 1.

Oh my.  Now I'm trying to power through a 4-player Witch/Militia game for the final boss.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:55:05 pm »
+4

You uh, you like to swear, don't you?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 07:14:03 pm »
+1

Oh my.  Now I'm trying to power through a 4-player Witch/Militia game for the final boss.
That's another thing. The sets-of-10 were picked with no idea that there would ever be more than 2 players. Then they used 3-4 on many "boss" levels. Four players is pushing it for your patience to sit through attack-heavy games, which the "boss" levels often are.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:26:31 pm »

You uh, you like to swear, don't you?

Yep!

That's another thing. The sets-of-10 were picked with no idea that there would ever be more than 2 players. Then they used 3-4 on many "boss" levels. Four players is pushing it for your patience to sit through attack-heavy games, which the "boss" levels often are.

Gotcha.  It works for the Witch/Gardens or Thief/Gardens games, though.  Just sit back and soak up Gardens points.

And in contrast to the horridness of 18 and 20, Game 19 is actually a hell of a lot of fun.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:29:45 pm »

I beat it on my second try with Moat + 2 Witches and money.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 02:30:23 am »

I beat it on my second try with Moat + 2 Witches and money.
I beat it, I don't remember how many tries but not many. And I beat the old harder version (the bot got 3 Witches). One day the AI will be improved and some of these levels will get a lot harder (especially Dark Ages Act 4). I asked Jeff to make Base 1-18 easier anyway, on the grounds that, it's the main set act 1, what is this doing here. And he dropped the 4-player games to 3 players, across the board (I think this is just level 16's and 20's).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 02:32:28 pm »

Okay, what the shit is this.  Act 2, Game 11.  You start with 10 Feasts.  Opponent starts with 7 Silvers.  Witch on the board.  By turn 4, the AI has two Witches and probably also bought 2 Provinces.  How the hell are you supposed to beat this?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 03:13:21 pm »

Okay, what the shit is this.  Act 2, Game 11.  You start with 10 Feasts.  Opponent starts with 7 Silvers.  Witch on the board.  By turn 4, the AI has two Witches and probably also bought 2 Provinces.  How the hell are you supposed to beat this?
Using Zaps, then Feast->Duchy

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »

No more Zaps. And Feasting Duchies is a terrible idea.  At any rate, I figured it out.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 06:33:14 pm »

No more Zaps. And Feasting Duchies is a terrible idea.  At any rate, I figured it out.
It's like buying a Duchy, except for $4! That is better than buying a Duchy for $5!
I'm joking

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 06:38:29 pm »

I'm joking

I know you were. I mean, why would anyone buy a Duchy for $24?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 06:39:22 pm »

I'm joking

I know you were. Why would anyone buy a Duchy for $24?
No plus buy, you severely overbuilt and PPR is in effect.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 06:40:36 pm »

No plus buy, you severely overbuilt.

But why?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 06:46:08 pm »

That level is easy. It seemed like, what, it's fun, people can have an easy level sometimes.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 06:47:32 pm »

That level is easy. It seemed like, what, it's fun, people can have an easy level sometimes.

It's only easy once you figure out what to do. :P

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 08:17:14 pm »

No plus buy, you severely overbuilt.

But why?
Building is the fun part and you wanted to deny him payload.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 09:55:45 pm »

Base 2 - 16 .... just... Moats, so many Moats.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 12:49:25 am »

Man, Base Act 2: Game 8 really sucks.

2 Cellar
2 Chapel
3 Village
3 Workshop
4 Gardens
4 Remodel
4 Thief
4 Throne Room
5 Laboratory
5 Market

Your two opponents start with normal decks. You start with 6 Coppers, a Silver, 2 Estates, and a Province. Your first opponent always pursues a Throne Room-fueled turbo Remodel strategy. Your second opponent pursues a Throne Room-fueled Thief strategy. You may notice that the only non-Treasure source of +$ is Markets. Opponent #1 of course needs to use Gold as a stopping point between $4 and $8 when remodeling, so those Golds tend to fuel Opponent #2's deck.

I assume your starting cards are supposed to be a benefit, but really they're an anchor around your neck. The Province gets in the way, but you don't want to trash it and lose those points. The Silver makes your deck vulnerable to Thief right off the bat.

This doesn't sound so bad, you might be thinking. But here's the clincher: you only get to draw 4 cards each hand, whereas each opponent gets the normal 5. This makes it harder to line up engine components, harder to line up Remodel targets, harder to reach decent $ totals, and easier for Thieves to steal your stuff! I'm all for interesting setups in these campaign levels, but this one is no fun.

EDIT: Finally beat it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:03:56 am by LastFootnote »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 02:33:37 am »
+1

Man, Base Act 2: Game 8 really sucks.

This doesn't sound so bad, you might be thinking. But here's the clincher: you only get to draw 4 cards each hand, whereas each opponent gets the normal 5. This makes it harder to line up engine components, harder to line up Remodel targets, harder to reach decent $ totals, and easier for Thieves to steal your stuff! I'm all for interesting setups in these campaign levels, but this one is no fun.
http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?7762-Basic-Act-2-Game-8

I didn't think it would be subtle that Workshop - Gardens was a thing, and that Workshop would line up with a Supply Gardens just as well when you had a 4-card hand.

The level-specification that I provide doesn't include what bots to use. I don't know how consistently the bots behave but they wouldn't have level-specific programming, just, it's warlord bot and this is what you can expect from warlord bot. So they might end up as consistent as you say but not exactly intentionally.

Any level can change if people hate it. It hasn't gotten the complaints of 1-18 so I haven't been tweaking it. Possibly it could be say Woodcutter instead of Thief, only one opponent.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 11:28:05 am »

I didn't think it would be subtle that Workshop - Gardens was a thing, and that Workshop would line up with a Supply Gardens just as well when you had a 4-card hand.

Well certainly I tried that first, or at least second. I'm sure I didn't play it optimally and perhaps was unlucky. But the bots go after Gardens as well, and tend to have much more capable decks. I'll give it another stab using that strategy.

EDIT: Well, I did win. Gain all the Workshops, then get Gardens until they run out, then run out the last few Cellars. It was a close thing; I was lucky the Thieves never hit my starting Silver. One big thing is, every time Opponent #2 plays a Thief, you lose a Copper, making your Gardens worth less.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:35:11 am by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 12:22:26 pm »

With the Thief/Gardens multiplayer Campaign games, I usually pick up a Thief myself.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »

With the Thief/Gardens multiplayer Campaign games, I usually pick up a Thief myself.

Man, don't think I didn't try that multiple times.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 12:41:10 pm »

Man, don't think I didn't try that multiple times.

I'm just hoping their next release (hopefully today) adds more Campaign Act maps (in addition to, you know, important stuff) so I can add more stuff to the wiki and stream some more yelling at robots.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 21 queries.