Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Warsong Commander got the Starving Buzzard treatment.  (Read 11584 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Warsong Commander got the Starving Buzzard treatment.
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 07:23:03 pm »

I would have greatly preferred that they just remove the card.

Making it a vanilla 3/4 or 4/3 would have even been better.

What's the practical difference between a card you never ever play and a card that doesn't exist?

A card you never play still shows up in Unstable Portal/Piloted Sky Golem. There's a reason people said Darnassus Aspirant was a Piloted Shredder nerf. (Not that Darnassus is a bad card, but it's one of the side effects.)

It also takes up a slot in arena drafting that could be taken by a better card.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 07:30:17 pm »

What's the practical difference between a card you never ever play and a card that doesn't exist?

A card you never play still shows up in Unstable Portal/Piloted Sky Golem. There's a reason people said Darnassus Aspirant was a Piloted Shredder nerf. (Not that Darnassus is a bad card, but it's one of the side effects.)

+ newbie experience, all three of which I mentioned in my original post here.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 07:34:11 pm »

It could be 2/4, 3/3, 3/4, 4/3, give +2 attack to charge minions, or cost 2 mana instead, or have charge itself, safely.

The first charge minion you play each turn costs 1 less.

Draw a minion with charge from your deck, 2/2.

Whenever you summon a minion with Charge, equip a Heavy Axe

The first minion you play each turn gains Charge (is as forward compatible as the Charge spell.)

While this minion is in play, you draw cards from your deck from among those that have Charge, if able.

Minions with Charge can't be frozen.

Whenever you play a minion with charge, gain +1/+1 (an awful questing adventurer and still better than this awful card)

Ok, I'll stop.
You forgot "give your charge minion attack equal to your weapon's attack". Makes it something comparable to Oil Rogue but without Blade Flurry.
Give all charge minions attack equal to your weapons attack?
Turn 10 Warsong -boar-boar-deckhand-deckhand-arcane golem = 52 damage with Gorehowl?  I can't be insistent that that's on the safe side or consistent with the design philosophy they are trying to profess.
Oh forgot about Gorehowl. It also gets through a big taunt or two. But like Warsong should provide some sort of wow factor considering its history.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 08:11:24 pm »

Doesn't that make Warsong Commander just like any other crappy card, though? Would you be in favor of removing all crappy cards from the game? None of those seem objectively 'bad', just 'different'. It slightly slightly slightly lowers the power or Unstable Portal (which is already a very powerful card), and it slightly slightly slightly lowers Warrior Arena runs (which is worse, because Warrior is relatively weak in arena), but I don't see what's different between Warsong Commander and every other bad card, and I don't see people clamoring to get rid of all unplayable cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 08:20:09 pm »

Doesn't that make Warsong Commander just like any other crappy card, though? Would you be in favor of removing all crappy cards from the game? None of those seem objectively 'bad', just 'different'. It slightly slightly slightly lowers the power or Unstable Portal (which is already a very powerful card), and it slightly slightly slightly lowers Warrior Arena runs (which is worse, because Warrior is relatively weak in arena), but I don't see what's different between Warsong Commander and every other bad card, and I don't see people clamoring to get rid of all unplayable cards.

There's a difference between "unplayable" and "egregiously, hideously unplayable". 

The new Warsong Commander might be the worst card in the entire game.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 08:33:27 pm »

Ben said "We really messed up" in a video about the nerf.

I paused it just to come post here.

I am so happy and appeased, you don't even know..

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 12:08:37 am »

It's like, a day later right? They, they couldn't stop it from happening in time after they figured that out? Assuming you mean it's the nerf that they "really messed up".

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 12:24:28 am »

It's like, a day later right? They, they couldn't stop it from happening in time after they figured that out? Assuming you mean it's the nerf that they "really messed up".

I meant I'm excited about the utterance of the phrase "we really messed up" came up in reference to ANYTHING.  It was actually in reference to the original Warsong Commander nerf, in open beta.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 07:52:07 am »

I meant I'm excited about the utterance of the phrase "we really messed up" came up in reference to ANYTHING.  It was actually in reference to the original Warsong Commander nerf, in open beta.
The one where they brought it down to only give charge to 3+ attack minions? So they're acknowledging that the nerf didn't solve the true problem with the card?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 11:28:46 am »

The one where they brought it down to only give charge to 3+ attack minions? So they're acknowledging that the nerf didn't solve the true problem with the card?
Yeah.  He basically said all the right things I wanted to hear, and had a good explanation for why the ability is "give your charge minions +1 Attack".  But there is still no reason the minion can't have better stats.  It could easily be 3/4 or 4/3, so why it's not at least 2/3 or 3/3 or even 4/2 or even 4/1 just so it doesn't look like such a chump next to raid leader for new players is just sad.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.