Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Perfect shuffling?  (Read 2419 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Perfect shuffling?
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:55:26 pm »

Chancellor and Treasure Map. You could do quite well with "poor shuffling", if you can make it believable enough. Or Philosopher's Stone and you're really bad at counting.
Thought experiment: suppose you could cheat and be able to shuffle any way you like.  Is Treasure Map the dominant strategy?

EDIT: Puzzle #1 provides one answer.  What if there are opponents?  Or if the Kingdom doesn't include the necessary components for Puzzle #1 (e.g., Chancellor)?

buggibum

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Is TMap dominant with perfect shuffling?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:04:42 pm »

Chancellor and Treasure Map. You could do quite well with "poor shuffling", if you can make it believable enough. Or Philosopher's Stone and you're really bad at counting.
Thought experiment: suppose you could cheat and be able to shuffle any way you like.  Is Treasure Map the dominant strategy?

Of course, thats why Throne Room and a terminal action card is a pretty reliable strategy to open a game. You just have to learn to shuffle! :D

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:09:11 pm »

Can you only cheat to put Treasure Maps wherever you like, or is it all cards?

If it's all cards, then I think it'd be moderately difficult to beat "I will arrange to have at least $4 in both turns 3 and 4 and buy TMs and activate them on turn 5."  You don't even waste your opening buys!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:11:00 pm »

Isn't the solution to puzzle #1 going to be the best thing with perfect shuffle luck? Well, maybe some attack can ruin it....

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect shuffling?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:56:46 pm »

Treasure Map + Chancellor doesn't seem great in this context.  There's no +buy and it doesn't see the gold until the 5th turn.  It'll have half the Provinces/Colonies by turn 9 and all of them by turn 13 (unless I'm missing something).  By contrast, Puzzle #1 has emptied all the Colonies by the end of turn 5.

It'd terrible in a Province game.  It'd one turn faster to buy two Silvers and a Chancellor, guaranteeing Copper-Copper-Silver-Silver-Chancellor = $8 every turn.

Question, though: How do you define "dominant strategy?"

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:08:07 pm »

Opening Chapel/Quarry into Grand Markets can get all 10 in like 8 turns. I think this is a bit stronger than 4 Gold from the treasure maps.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 03:34:55 pm »

Bridge seems like the real powerhouse with perfect luck, if you have good support.  KC-Bridge is a no-brainer.  Bridge-Village-Watchtower has a lot of potential as well, being fast and cheap to set up and reasonable against attacks.

I'm intrigued by possibilities like Worker's Village - Chancellor - Goons.  How quickly can you accumulate VP tokens to the point where the Province/Colony pile doesn't matter?  (I suspect not nearly quick enough).

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »

I imagine some variant of KC/Goons/Masquerade is dominant on a lot of boards as well.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:55:21 pm »

Sorry to go slightly off topic but this game I just played reminded me of this thread.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/11/game-20120111-142046-b88af406.html

Note the T3 buy CR,
T4 play village shuffle, draw CR, draw deck. Masq I get passed a copper so I have $8 and 2 buys.
Then draw opening hands after each reshuffle T5 to T7 contain both village and CR.
T8 bag of gold, then trusty steed to drew effectively 1 card (CR)

T6 buy prov, use it to block on the next turn & use it twice on turn 7 to trigger both my tournaments.

Thanks for the game chwhite and apologies for the luck.

Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.