Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hey there  (Read 5197 times)

Seiryu

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Hey there
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:12:57 pm »
+8

Hey everyone,

My name is Edwin, and I'm a new player to Dominion. Well, not new actually, I've been playing the game for the past few months, both online, and in real life with my buddies who happen to be new as well. I have been mostly playing on the base set, and so far I have gotten used to set and was able to figure most of the strategies. Just recently, well today actually, I just got the second set of Dominion, Intrigue which I can't wait to play with my buddies on the weekend. Anyway, I mostly joined the forum in hopes to meet other fellow players, and vets who can help a novice out like me come up with strategies and clear up any rulings that I may have on my journey with my Dominion. Well, that's it mostly, if you any questions about me, just ask, and I'll be sure to read up what's going on these forums every now and then. 

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Hey there
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:50:06 pm »
+1

Nice to meet you. Be careful about frequenting these forums for strategy advice in such a way that you get way better than your friends really fast. If you care a lot about not discouraging your playgroup, consider pacing your learning. Or not.

A good way to get insightful feedback and advice is to post a kingdom in the help section of the forum and asking for advice on how to play it. The help section is here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=18.0

While I'm linking you to stuff, I might as well point you to the Forum Games and the Dominion League

So now, have you checked out the Forum Games and the Dominion League?

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 12:08:30 am »
+2

Nice to meet you. Be careful about frequenting these forums for strategy advice in such a way that you get way better than your friends really fast. If you care a lot about not discouraging your playgroup, consider pacing your learning. Or not.

Alternatively, introduce your friends to the forums too!

Seiryu

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 02:31:26 am »
+1

A good way to get insightful feedback and advice is to post a kingdom in the help section of the forum and asking for advice on how to play it. The help section is here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=18.0

While I'm linking you to stuff, I might as well point you to the Forum Games and the Dominion League

So now, have you checked out the Forum Games and the Dominion League?

Nice to meet you too friend, and I don't plan to go far ahead of my friends. If anything, all the stuff I'll learn here, I show to them as well.

And I managed to check-out the links you provided, and so far that Dominion League sounds really interesting, will definitely look more into it.

Alternatively, introduce your friends to the forums too!

Will do, it will be fun what little plans we can come up with against each other after a few visits to the forums

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 12:43:41 pm »

The base set is a tad attack heavy, and so is Intrigue, so sometimes playgroups with players that are easily discouraged by attacking gameplay hit issues if they start with base, add Intrigue, and stay there for too long.  Just a warning that applies for some people.  You can always do deliberate kingdom selection, I suppose. 

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 04:58:01 pm »

The base set is a tad attack heavy, and so is Intrigue, so sometimes playgroups with players that are easily discouraged by attacking gameplay hit issues if they start with base, add Intrigue, and stay there for too long.  Just a warning that applies for some people.  You can always do deliberate kingdom selection, I suppose.
Probably the worst attack for 4 players is Saboteur when gtoup-think sets in and everyone gets it. The game goes nowhere at some point.

Seiryu

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:52:26 pm »

I see, yeah, the I noticed that a lot with the base set, but my buddies seem to enjoy it. Two of them in fact, have really fallen in love with Witch, and always ask if they can put her in Supply for the games we play. And looking at the cards in Intrigue, I can tell Saboteur, Torturer, and possible Swindler are going to be the favorites in my group.

Probably the worst attack for 4 players is Saboteur when gtoup-think sets in and everyone gets it. The game goes nowhere at some point.

Oh boy, somehow I know this is going to be a favorite card among two buddies in my group who love to do nothing but troll in out game sessions.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:09 pm »

The funny thing is that (spoilers) it's actually a super weak card
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:39:43 pm »

It's weak in that it hardly helps you win. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt you when three other players get multiple copies of them.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 12:11:13 am »

Wait, Swindler is part of Intrigue too?? What was with that set?

Seiryu

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 01:41:25 am »

It's weak in that it hardly helps you win. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt you when three other players get multiple copies of them.

I'm assuming your both talking about Witch, and correct if I'm wrong. But yeah, I started looking further into some of the other sets, and managed to find more scary cards than witch, assuming this is the weak card were talking about.

Wait, Swindler is part of Intrigue too?? What was with that set?

Yeah it is, my buddy right now is looking at cards in the set and is laughing like a madman over all the attack cards.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 01:56:55 am »

I'm assuming your both talking about Witch, and correct if I'm wrong. But yeah, I started looking further into some of the other sets, and managed to find more scary cards than witch, assuming this is the weak card were talking about.
Actually, Witch is a pretty good card. Not top tier, but fairly solid. They were mainly talking about Saboteur.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 02:06:57 am »
+5

Made you look.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:30 am »

Actually, Witch is a pretty good card. Not top tier, but fairly solid. They were mainly talking about Saboteur.

I wouldn't really say that Witch is not a top tier card. It's definitely the strongest $5 card in Base and Intrigue by far. There are better cards in the later expansions, but not many.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 07:08:26 am »

Hello Edwin,

I am Asher, or Roadrunner. I am fairly new to the forum myself, but I have been playing Dominion for quite a while. I am one of the worst* people to go to on the forum for advice, I tend to lose a lot, but you can talk to me about Dominion anyway, if you wish. I would recommend Forum Survivor over Forum Mafia, but I speak from little experience. Joining the Dominion League is a really good investment as well. I'd be a bro and link you to them, but I can hardly figure our how to even make bold writing.

*Not including Awaclus
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 07:23:56 am »
+1

Hello Edwin,

I am Asher, or Roadrunner. I am fairly new to the forum myself, but I have been playing Dominion for quite a while. I am one of the worst* people to go to on the forum for advice, I tend to lose a lot, but you can talk to me about Dominion anyway, if you wish. I would recommend Forum Survivor over Forum Mafia, but I speak from little experience. Joining the Dominion League is a really good investment as well. I'd be a bro and link you to them, but I can hardly figure our how to even make bold writing.

*Not including Awaclus

Hey, I'm not a bad person to go to for advice. I might not be as good at the game as the people who are better than me, but I'm still good enough to give you the same advice as the better players would in most situations.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seiryu

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 02:18:23 pm »

Made you look.
>:(

I wouldn't really say that Witch is not a top tier card. It's definitely the strongest $5 card in Base and Intrigue by far. There are better cards in the later expansions, but not many.
Thanks for clearing up the confusion, it was kind of hard to believe they where all talking about Witch, cause I find her pretty good for these first two sets. But I know as I move onto to further into this game, I'm going to find new cards which will knock her down a few tiers.

Hello Edwin,

*Not including Awaclus

Nice to meet you dude, and any advice you offer to a novice like me would be great. I'm just trying to sharpen my edge just a bit and get more of a feel to this game I walked into.

Hello Edwin,

*Not including Awaclus

Hey, I'm not a bad person to go to for advice. I might not be as good at the game as the people who are better than me, but I'm still good enough to give you the same advice as the better players would in most situations.
I see, eh like I told Asher, any advice you can offer is good for me I guess

Seiryu

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 02:19:28 pm »

Off topic, but is there a Dominion Facebook group by any chance, I've been trying look here on the forums, but no luck  :-\

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 02:43:26 pm »

Not that I know of.

Also, if you want to play a few games against someone who isn't that good (and get some feedback), feel free to ask :)

Seiryu

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 12:52:26 am »

Not that I know of.

Also, if you want to play a few games against someone who isn't that good (and get some feedback), feel free to ask :)

Got it, will do, thanks  :D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 20 queries.