Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Strange attack idea  (Read 9673 times)

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Re: Strange attack idea
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 05:02:11 pm »

The problem with discarding at the end of the action phase is that it doesn't really hurt an engine player at all- the engine will still find the best 3 treasures in his whole deck plus whatever Peddlers he has. It actually hurts BM more.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 12:19:31 pm »

The problem with discarding at the end of the action phase is that it doesn't really hurt an engine player at all- the engine will still find the best 3 treasures in his whole deck plus whatever Peddlers he has. It actually hurts BM more.

Yes, probably. I'd still prefer not having the card over having a version that makes you think about a complex decision after every other action card play.
Edit: Not that it's my decision, of course. I'd just not like to play with it, personally.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:21:25 pm by Asper »

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »

What about:

At the start of each other player's next buy phase, he puts all but 4 cards from his hand onto his deck in any order.

It's maybe a little too similar to Haunted Woods, but it keeps with the "down to 4 cards" idea and hurts gigantic draw engines.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 03:01:16 pm »

hurts gigantic draw engines.

Only ones that rely on treasure cards as their payload...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 03:19:19 pm »

Or those that buy victory cards ...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 04:09:17 pm »

Or those that buy victory cards ...

Not sure what you mean? How would this be affected by buying victory cards?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »

If you have 3 estates and 2 provinces, and end up drawing 2 golds, lots of those stop cards would end up going on top of your deck and making it unlikely you'd be able to have an engine turn next turn.

If you have more than 4 stop cards in your deck, and you're drawing your deck, then all the rest of your stop cards will go on your deck.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 04:31:33 pm »
+1

If you have 3 estates and 2 provinces, and end up drawing 2 golds, lots of those stop cards would end up going on top of your deck and making it unlikely you'd be able to have an engine turn next turn.

If you have more than 4 stop cards in your deck, and you're drawing your deck, then all the rest of your stop cards will go on your deck.

So your engine will become a bit less reliable after you've gotten your 5th Province.

I don't think it's a problem that it doesn't really hurt engines that don't have any Treasures in them, though. The problem is that it completely kills all of the engines that do have Treasures in them, and "engine that has Treasures" is the only interesting strategy on the vast majority of kingdoms, so that's not very nice.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 04:47:36 pm »
+1

Oops, was thinking that the cards were discarded instead of put on top of your deck.

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 06:07:37 pm »

OK, one more try:

Racketeer
Until your next turn, when another player resolves an Action card, if he has 3 or more cards in play, he gains a Copper.
At the beginning of your next turn: discard any number of cards, then +1 Card per card discarded.
$5 Action - Attack - Duration

I think this version solves some of the problems:
- Much easier to tell at-a-glance if playing your next action will penalize you. So it's not as tedious to resolve.
- Copper junking self-balances the effect of the card, sort of like Mountebank. When you get lots of coppers, you're less likely to hit the three action-card threshold again.
- Hits Durations (including itself) a bit harder, since they count towards cards in play, so it will definitely discourage stuff like Double Tac.
- Copper is pretty innocuous as far as junking goes, so there's lots of ways to deal with it besides just sighing and playing BM. Some form of engine that handles the influx of coppers is probably still best on most boards.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.