Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition  (Read 114417 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »

I'd still be playing with the old Dominion cards, even if they are awful. I'd still rank them too.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2016, 04:19:31 pm »
+8

I'd still be playing with the old Dominion cards, even if they are awful. I'd still rank them too.

It saddens me that so many people will still be playing with the removed cards just because. Removing the dud cards was more important for improving those sets than adding the new cards. If you play with all of them, you still have a bunch of almost-useless cards clogging up your Dominion games.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2016, 04:24:03 pm »
+12

It would be funny to have Removed Cards as their own ranking list lol
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »
+2

It saddens me that so many people will still be playing with the removed cards just because. Removing the dud cards was more important for improving those sets than adding the new cards. If you play with all of them, you still have a bunch of almost-useless cards clogging up your Dominion games.

The dud cards are a great resource for kingdom design, because sometimes you might want to restrict the power or the availability of certain strategies by filling up the board with cards that don't play any role in any strategy available in the kingdom and there's also endless possibilities for designed kingdoms to actually have the rare circumstances where the dud cards can be useful.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2016, 04:29:49 pm »
+1

The dud cards are a great resource for kingdom design, because sometimes you might want to restrict the power or the availability of certain strategies by filling up the board with cards that don't play any role in any strategy available in the kingdom and there's also endless possibilities for designed kingdoms to actually have the rare circumstances where the dud cards can be useful.

Sure, but for random boards the cons of using them outweigh the pros by a mile.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2016, 04:35:15 pm »

Sure, but for random boards the cons of using them outweigh the pros by a mile.

It's not a fun feeling to look at a board and think "welp, looks like this is only a 7-card kingdom this game" because three shitty cards were thrown in.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2016, 04:46:20 pm »
+1

It's not a fun feeling to look at a board and think "welp, looks like this is only a 7-card kingdom this game" because three shitty cards were thrown in.

Unless the remaining 7 cards make for an interesting game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2016, 04:52:02 pm »
+2

Unless the remaining 7 cards make for an interesting game.
Agreed. I can't count how many times I've said to myself, I'm glad Scout is in this kingdom instead of a potentially useful card.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2016, 04:55:55 pm »
+1

Assuming I buy Scout, 1 out of 100 games it shows up in, that's awful. Better to have something I buy on a more regular basis.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2016, 05:26:25 pm »

Okay but like... the same thing is true for Transmute, even though it hasn't been replaced in a new edition of the expansion it's from. That doesn't mean we should exclude Transmute from the rankings; it's still a Dominion card that people can choose to play with, and if they choose not to play with it because it's a lousy card, well, that's one legitimate way to use the information that it's a lousy card. Scout is (we presume) being replaced in a new edition of the expansion it's from, and for a good reason, but that doesn't mean it's stopped being a $4 Dominion card, and it doesn't automatically mean we should exclude it from the rankings.

NolanA

• Salvager
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2016, 05:49:59 pm »
+1

It depends what the cards are.  For example, several persons in the other thread guessed that Bureaucrat will be removed.  Bureaucrat can lead to some interesting and unique strategies in a Gardens game, particularly if there is Market or Festival in the Kingdom.   It's also one of the better base game Lab terminals and one of the better base game BM strategies.  I'd definitely prefer base games with Bureaucrat as a possible kingdom card over games with it removed.   However, I can see how persons who almost always go for engines would favor it being removed.   Why not wait until what may be just the end of the day to see what cards are removed before committing to keep them or not play with them?  I'd prefer to see the older cards stay in the new Qvist, as a lot of people visiting this site and reading the Qvist are not going to switch Dominion versions immediately after their release.  This is especially true for persons playing online, where the new cards probably won't be available until next year.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:57:41 pm by NolanA »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2016, 05:55:28 pm »

I'd say throw them out. Even Donald advised us to keep the removed cards in the box and that is saying a lot. Why bother ranking them when you're not supposed to play with them? Initially this list was made to help people, right?

Ranking them seperately seems like a cute idea, definitely better than including them.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2016, 07:22:00 pm »
+1

Ugh I have to think about the implications for this. My first thought is that it doesn't hurt to rank the removed cards, it's only more information.
Also I wanted to start programming the changes next week and start in about 2 weeks, not sure what to do now with the new cards. Should we wait another month?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2016, 07:43:18 pm »
+4

I mean, we should rank them. We all know them, and uh it doesn't hurt to rank them, because you know, unlike in a Kingdom, there are an unlimited amount of slots available in the ranking. Maybe they can be optional to rank, for those who would rather not go through the extra trouble.

Next year, if it turns out that nobody plays these cards anymore, we can throw them out.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2016, 07:45:52 pm »
+4

I also say we go ahead and do the rankings. There's much going on in the Dominion world right now; we can wait for stuff to happen, we can wait for people to get a copy of Sauna, we can wait for ShuffleIT's launch, but I really want to at least have the rankings in the time I am waiting for all the other cool stuff to happen.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2016, 07:51:17 pm »
+1

I mean, we should rank them. We all know them, and uh it doesn't hurt to rank them, because you know, unlike in a Kingdom, there are an unlimited amount of slots available in the ranking. Maybe they can be optional to rank, for those who would rather not go through the extra trouble.

Next year, if it turns out that nobody plays these cards anymore, we can throw them out.
I agree (even though I probably won't be playing with the removed cards anymore). For one thing, it's a point of reference for the cards that are still official but which may be ranked lower than some of the removed cards.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2016, 08:36:02 pm »
+4

Another thing that isn't being brought up is how the new cards will affect the new player experience. How many potential Dominion fans did we lose to the idea that Dominion is basically a solved game with Big Money being the solution? I'd be fine replacing the trap cards in the Base set and Intrigue with cards that are at least as interesting except they won't drag your deck down.

I wish we can have a "removed cards" list and maybe combine them into the full cards list ranking, but then most people don't do the full ranking manually and the removed cards will creep into the high ranks of the full list due to the way they would be weighted.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:37:52 pm by markusin »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2016, 10:38:02 am »

Those cards sometimes have a purpose. Certainly, the new cards will likely just replace the functionality of the old cards, but I will have to wait and see what the new cards are first before deciding what old ones I'll still want to use.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2016, 10:59:03 am »
+1

I also say we go ahead and do the rankings. There's much going on in the Dominion world right now; we can wait for stuff to happen, we can wait for people to get a copy of Sauna, we can wait for ShuffleIT's launch, but I really want to at least have the rankings in the time I am waiting for all the other cool stuff to happen.

I agree with this: Let's get all the rankings started ASAP with all cards up to and including Empires. Too many changes in the next few months to time the start of this enough to give everyone experience with a change. By the time we're "ready" to rank Dominion and Intrigue new cards, Empires will be out online, and then people will want to wait to get used to that, and then probably a few months after that there could be another expansion, and so on.

bug me on discord

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2016, 01:23:39 pm »

Honestly, I doubt many people have experience with Empires. I mean, sure, I've played some irl games, but do I honestly know the power level of the cards, not really. Well, except Donate. You only have to play one game with it to confirm it is indeed as strong as it seems

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2016, 03:39:42 pm »
+1

Honestly, I doubt many people have experience with Empires. I mean, sure, I've played some irl games, but do I honestly know the power level of the cards, not really. Well, except Donate. You only have to play one game with it to confirm it is indeed as strong as it seems
Does it really matter that it is just speculation for most of us?

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2016, 09:17:24 am »
+4

My unprofessional, unqualified opinion on how to handle things that the new reveals are out: Start ranking ASAP, use the old Base and Intrigue one more time and then never again, no cards newer than Empires, also have a separate "Removed Cards" ranking list for the lulz this time. That would be my preference; the new cards are different enough that I don't think we should rank them with no experience, and we aren't going to get enough play time with them before January to really rank them unless we do the list starting like December 1 exactly.

I've played a LOT of Empires, and I found a lot of value in both the ranking and discussion of Adventures cards before they appeared online. If you don't know the cards you can skip them.

bug me on discord

they/them

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2016, 09:41:22 am »

My unprofessional, unqualified opinion on how to handle things that the new reveals are out: Start ranking ASAP, use the old Base and Intrigue one more time and then never again, no cards newer than Empires, also have a separate "Removed Cards" ranking list for the lulz this time. That would be my preference; the new cards are different enough that I don't think we should rank them with no experience, and we aren't going to get enough play time with them before January to really rank them unless we do the list starting like December 1 exactly.

100% agree. It's still 2016, we're still playing with the old cards online, but all that is going to change next year. For this year, just rank all the cards everyone knows and has experience with. (That does include Empires, but I'm not going to rank the Empires cards myself, for obvious reasons.)

Qvist, if you're not too busy, would you consider just starting the polls one of these days? I'm really looking forward to the new ranking, and I know many other people are as well :)
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2016, 10:23:02 am »
+6

Qvist, if you're not too busy, would you consider just starting the polls one of these days?

Yes, my goal is next week.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 09, 2016, 06:53:47 pm »
+13

I programmed everything, now I just need to some testing. I aim for starting it on Tuesday.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.