Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition  (Read 114454 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2016, 06:00:10 am »

Can we have more time than last year to do our rankings? I barely got through the $3s and $4s last year. I didn't have time do much at all with the others, and now we have even more cards.

Is 3-4 weeks enough?
hopefully

How much time did we have last year? I only remember that it wasn't enough.

You can look it up in the starting post of this thread, it was around 19 days, nearly 3 weeks.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2016, 07:28:17 pm »

Can we have more time than last year to do our rankings? I barely got through the $3s and $4s last year. I didn't have time do much at all with the others, and now we have even more cards.

Is 3-4 weeks enough?
hopefully. How much time did we have last year? I only remember that it wasn't enough.

You can look it up in the starting post of this thread, it was around 19 days, nearly 3 weeks.

So probably a month would be a good amount of time IMO.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 01, 2016, 11:19:40 am »

I'm in favor of tier lists but I'll contribute to the more popular cardinal list, anyway.

I'd also like a ranking for Landmarks that ranks them by their relative impact on the game, i.e. how likely you are to go for them in a vacuum.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 01, 2016, 11:21:36 am »
+1

The thing about Landmarks is, that there's only one card-shaped thing per Landmark. It's probably better to just pick it up yourself rather than aim your vacuum at it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 01, 2016, 12:26:33 pm »
+1

As for time to leave it open: I'm fine with any span of time that is inclusive of three weekends. I figure 1/3 of all weekends I'm too busy to do anything, so this would let me split the work up between two weekends. This makes it not a lot longer than it was last year but probably better in terms of non-work time allotted.

Or I'll just do it at work this year, w/e
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2016, 09:15:17 am »
+1

The thing about Landmarks is, that there's only one card-shaped thing per Landmark. It's probably better to just pick it up yourself rather than aim your vacuum at it.

I think "how likely you are to go for them in a vacuum" means if you accidentally vacuum one up while cleaning, how motivated would you be to open up the vacuum bag and try to find it, or would you just not care because it wasn't a great landmark anyway?

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2016, 12:12:18 pm »

I think "how likely you are to go for them in a vacuum" means if you accidentally vacuum one up while cleaning, how motivated would you be to open up the vacuum bag and try to find it, or would you just not care because it wasn't a great landmark anyway?

Or you could just make a proxy landmark using any piece of paper and it would be functionally the same.

bug me on discord

they/them

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2016, 12:34:13 pm »

Or you could just make a proxy landmark using any piece of paper and it would be functionally the same.

Pictures (of the original landmarks) on your phone.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2016, 07:16:59 am »

I'd say it's easy to rank the Landmarks aswell.

The question "Which card is better?" was never useful anyway for the rankings and should be replaced by "Which card is most likely to change my play in a meaningful way". It's easy to argue that it is more likely that Wolf Den changes your card buys more significantly than Baths changes the cards you gain. That's as good a comparison as Village and Chancellor is.

Also, Qvist have you decided on split piles already? Otherwise I'd like to make a case for ranking them together again.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2016, 11:36:26 am »
+1

Also, Qvist have you decided on split piles already? Otherwise I'd like to make a case for ranking them together again.

Well there was a poll a while ago.

So based on the results it seems that split cards should definitely be ranked separately.

Also, someone who gets like 51% of the votes agrees.

I would rank both cards separately for each two-card split pile; that seems pretty clear.

The only thing I'm not sure are the Castles. Obviously they are not ranked separately just like Knights, but to which list should I add them? Any suggestions?

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 05, 2016, 11:47:16 am »

If I am still able to handle a calculator, the average cost of Castles is 6.5$, so I would put them in the $6+ list.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2016, 11:47:38 am »

The only thing I'm not sure are the Castles. Obviously they are not ranked separately just like Knights, but to which list should I add them? Any suggestions?

Why is that obvious, then? How many different cards are allowed to be in a pile for them to be ranked seperately? The Knights have the same attack, the Castles are all different?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2016, 11:55:04 am »

Sorry, I meant it seemed obvious to me. I'm open for another poll soon for the Castles.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2016, 03:35:03 pm »
+1

I think $6+ makes the most sense since unlike other alt VP, you need a plan to hit higher increments. Heck, the last Castle costs almost as much as a Colony. Also, 5/8ths of the Castles cost $6+.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »

Seems quite easy and obvious to put the Castles as a Kingdom card. What else would you put it into? They also don't need their own ranking. Obviously the more expensive ones are better.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2016, 04:56:36 pm »

Making the Castles separately ranked is ridiculous.

I'm fine with the decision to rank piles separate or together as a "I know it when I see it" thing, and like, duh, Castles should be ranked together. They're a unit. They synergize strongly with each other and aren't worth it in a vacuum - split pile cards are for the most part totally fine standing alone.

bug me on discord

they/them

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2016, 05:35:21 pm »
+5

I'm an advocate of making accommodations for the underrepresented. All ten Chancellors should be ranked individually, and the clefts of their chins should not be a factor.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »

I am uncertain that castles really need to be in the ranking. I mean, they are weird enough to just leave them out.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2016, 07:27:03 pm »
+2

I stand by my $6+. If you're going for them, you need a way to rack up to higher price points. But, yeah Castles are weird.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:28:16 pm by Beyond Awesome »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2016, 07:45:53 pm »

There are two schools of thought when it comes to rankings: Ranking by Price Point, and Ranking by Kingdom types. Both have their pros and cons, but the pros of the price point rankings far outweigh the cons of ranking by kingdom types. However, there is a third system, which myself and jsh have wanted to do, which is a tier system. Forget all of these difficult ways put certain cards over there or over in that corner, and just rate them based on strength and utility alone, in a vacuum. We don't have to worry about prices and what goes where, because they're all card shaped things.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2016, 07:57:24 pm »

There are two schools of thought when it comes to rankings: Ranking by Price Point, and Ranking by Kingdom types. Both have their pros and cons, but the pros of the price point rankings far outweigh the cons of ranking by kingdom types. However, there is a third system, which myself and jsh have wanted to do, which is a tier system. Forget all of these difficult ways put certain cards over there or over in that corner, and just rate them based on strength and utility alone, in a vacuum. We don't have to worry about prices and what goes where, because they're all card shaped things.

The system your thread is advocating is actually different from the one I would use. Too lazy to explain, just trying to get my name removed from this association.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2016, 03:18:10 pm »
+1

This really shouldn't pertain to this years rankings, but seeing how cards are being removed and odds are no one will play with the removed cards ever again, will we still rank them in the future?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2016, 03:59:15 pm »

This really shouldn't pertain to this years rankings, but seeing how cards are being removed and odds are no one will play with the removed cards ever again, will we still rank them in the future?

I would honestly suggesting holding off the rankings for a couple of weeks to let people play with the new cards first, and then rank with the new and without the removed.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »

I would honestly suggesting holding off the rankings for a couple of weeks to let people play with the new cards first, and then rank with the new and without the removed.

The window of time where people have IRL experience with the new cards but no online experience with Empires (if someone other than me cares about collecting that data) would be like, - month long tops.

bug me on discord

they/them

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2016, 04:13:46 pm »
+3

The ones being removed are still Dominion cards; I don't see any reason not to include them in the rankings. (They will probably be ranked low.)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.