Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23  All

Author Topic: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Mod for Dominion Online 2.0  (Read 171591 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
Re: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Mod for Dominion Online 2.0
« Reply #525 on: March 11, 2016, 07:46:21 am »

Unless there's only one left and it would three-pile a loss, or two and it would let your opponent three-pile and win. EDGECASED Maybe only autoplay if there are more than three golds left.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 11, 2016, 07:49:22 am »

Unless there's only one left and it would three-pile a loss, or two and it would let your opponent three-pile and win. EDGECASED Maybe only autoplay if there are more than three golds left.

A far more relevant edge-case is Feodum. But still, it is very rare that one would prefer Silver over Gold.

Also I don't think complicated autoplay rules are a good idea in general. '3 golds left' and Explorer is almost never going to happen, so in the case where it matters you'd turn it off manually anyway.

Philipp_G

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 16, 2016, 04:17:29 pm »
+4

Hey there, thank you for this mod!
I'm sorry to off-top and, this question may sound weird here, but please give me a chance: I want to translate the windows version into Russian in order to raise the popularity of the game (just for instance: here in Russia we have only Base Set and Intrigue officially translated, first you may find in some stores while Intrigue is sold out completely and not to be printed again due to publishers' problems or whatever). Recently we found out about the online version and I bought all the available sets, spending my last ducats in real life :) Me, wife and my brother are enjoy playing and combining it, as we gained an access to the sets which are not available here in Russia. But it's a pity, but lots of my friends just don't know English enough and they would like to join us, but they need to make cribs/booklets/instructions or whatever, they just don't want to play things they do not understand.
My idea was to make an translation. I was trying to disassemble Unity *.sets files, but didn't succeed yet. Also I was wondering if cards are stored as images themselves or images+captions, which would be easier to translate only captions, without changing images in Photoshop. Would you guys give me an advice of software you were using or just tell me that translation is technically possible? If you don't want to answer in a public thread, I would be happy to receive any answer in personal message. Thank you.
PS: I have some skills in programming, so you can be straight to me :)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 16, 2016, 10:10:40 pm »

I'm sorry to off-top and, this question may sound weird here, but please give me a chance: I want to translate the windows version into Russian in order to raise the popularity of the game (just for instance: here in Russia we have only Base Set and Intrigue officially translated, first you may find in some stores while Intrigue is sold out completely and not to be printed again due to publishers' problems or whatever). Recently we found out about the online version and I bought all the available sets, spending my last ducats in real life :) Me, wife and my brother are enjoy playing and combining it, as we gained an access to the sets which are not available here in Russia. But it's a pity, but lots of my friends just don't know English enough and they would like to join us, but they need to make cribs/booklets/instructions or whatever, they just don't want to play things they do not understand.
My idea was to make an translation. I was trying to disassemble Unity *.sets files, but didn't succeed yet. Also I was wondering if cards are stored as images themselves or images+captions, which would be easier to translate only captions, without changing images in Photoshop. Would you guys give me an advice of software you were using or just tell me that translation is technically possible? If you don't want to answer in a public thread, I would be happy to receive any answer in personal message. Thank you.
PS: I have some skills in programming, so you can be straight to me :)

I'm a native English speaker with some experience in Russian, so let me know if you have questions about any of the card names.  A couple of them are rather idiomatic.  Somehow the Germans managed to translate Salvager as "waste management company".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 17, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »

[...]

You're welcome, and your plan sounds like a great initiative. I've sent you a pm.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 17, 2016, 05:34:34 pm »

[...]

You're welcome, and your plan sounds like a great initiative. I've sent you a pm.

Sort of on topic: do you have access to the official art for Adventures?  It would be great to have that up on the wiki as there is for all the previous expansions.  With Goko, you just had to find the right URL for each image, but I have no idea where MF has hidden away their image assets.  I've found a few on artist's personal websites, but not everything.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #531 on: April 17, 2016, 05:39:13 pm »
+6

Somehow the Germans managed to translate Salvager as "waste management company".

But hey, Goko "waste management company" would have been a rather appropriate name for Goko Salvager, too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Micha1980

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 02, 2016, 06:42:47 pm »
+4

Dear Mr. President :)

ähm SCSN :)

Would you pls to be so kind to create the new MOD?!

Thx a lot !

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 03, 2016, 01:15:53 pm »
+7

So, I assume MMF development is over, since (1) SCSN is now working on a better system anyway, and (2) it's only useful for another 8 months.

That said, SCSN, are you willing to make the MMF code open-source?  I'm not someone who can make it work, but perhaps someone else can do so...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 03, 2016, 02:04:56 pm »

Open sourcing it would be a great idea.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 03, 2016, 02:08:51 pm »

If you choose that route, make sure you don't expose yourself to legal trouble by opensourcing stuff that might be ruled to be MF's intellectual property, or derivative of it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 03, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »

If you choose that route, make sure you don't expose yourself to legal trouble by opensourcing stuff that might be ruled to be MF's intellectual property, or derivative of it.

Under US law, you're allowed to reverse engineer code as long as you a) don't violate copyright protection software b) are doing so for interoperability purposes, rather than making your own competing version of it and c) you're not making money off of it.

SCSN better be *really* careful about b) if he doesn't want to get sued.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 03, 2016, 02:23:48 pm »

I don't see how it's "competing". All money that changes hands goes to MakingFun.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 03, 2016, 02:37:42 pm »

I don't see how it's "competing". All money that changes hands goes to MakingFun.

But they're now making their own product which competed with (only to Donald and RGG, not to the public at large, which may make a difference), and will now replace, MF's.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:39:04 pm by werothegreat »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:00 pm »
+2

I can try to touch base with MdLC. He did most of the work that made updating versions easier, and we should at least be able to run that and see if it "just works". 

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 03, 2016, 02:48:42 pm »

Yes, the MMF End Actions/Turn-button-placement would be very appreciated. I wasted like 6 turns in 2 testing games because of it, I feel like the End Turn button is located where the Play Treasures button used to be.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 03, 2016, 02:53:40 pm »

Yes, the MMF End Actions/Turn-button-placement would be very appreciated. I wasted like 6 turns in 2 testing games because of it, I feel like the End Turn button is located where the Play Treasures button used to be.

It is.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 03, 2016, 03:00:28 pm »
+7

There probably will be an update but I'm not making any promises as to when.

But they're now making their own product which competed with (only to Donald and RGG, not to the public at large, which may make a difference), and will now replace, MF's.

We started pitching our idea once we learned MF was going to lose the license; we never were in direct competition.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 03, 2016, 03:22:15 pm »
+2

There probably will be an update but I'm not making any promises as to when.

We started pitching our idea once we learned MF was going to lose the license; we never were in direct competition.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 03, 2016, 03:24:07 pm »

Guys, I think we've covered the legal aspects previously.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 03, 2016, 03:42:32 pm »

True but I think it's easy (if perhaps not correct) to think that the new developments re. the new contract change the legal standings.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 03, 2016, 03:52:11 pm »
+2

True but I think it's easy (if perhaps not correct) to think that the new developments re. the new contract change the legal standings.

Yeah I have to agree. While previously I was strongly with the majority that was saying that it was ridiculous to suggest that there was a possible legal problem with MMF, the fact that the creator of MMF is now also the creator of an official product that will replace MF could possibly introduce valid questions.

Basically MF could theoretically claim (whether at all accurate or not) that the new Online Dominion by Shuffle iT is based partially on the decompiled MF source, which as I understand it would be a copyright issue. Now, all Shuffle iT has to do is show that their source was made from scratch, and not from MF's code, which I imagine wouldn't be that hard.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 03, 2016, 03:55:12 pm »

Reminds me of Silicon Valley last season!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 03, 2016, 03:57:29 pm »
+1

Yeah I have to agree. While previously I was strongly with the majority that was saying that it was ridiculous to suggest that there was a possible legal problem with MMF, the fact that the creator of MMF is now also the creator of an official product that will replace MF could possibly introduce valid questions.

Basically MF could theoretically claim (whether at all accurate or not) that the new Online Dominion by Shuffle iT is based partially on the decompiled MF source, which as I understand it would be a copyright issue. Now, all Shuffle iT has to do is show that their source was made from scratch, and not from MF's code, which I imagine wouldn't be that hard.

Especially given they're being programmed in completely different environments, I suspect it won't be difficult at all.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 03, 2016, 04:00:46 pm »
+7

Especially given they're being programmed in completely different environments, I suspect it won't be difficult at all.

They just need a judge who knows how to program; then he can look at the MF code and laugh hysterically at the notion that anyone would try to steal it for their own implementation.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.